South Jersey 4 (Saturday, July 15th)

anwnate

There will be a ton of information in this thread.  Let me explain...

toomuch.png

This first post will sum things up.  

The second post will give the details about the first post.  

The third post will give an approximate timeline for the comp...and the first draft of the list of contestants.  (This will be big.)

"SJ4"

South Jersey 4 Grip Contest  (Saturday, July 15th 2017)

IM Certs and "Sanctioned Contest" will be now be held at the meeting room of the Best Western West Deptford (Thorofare).   98 Friars Blvd, Thorofare, NJ 08086

The unofficial "medley, sledgebox (maybe), bending, eating and hanging out) will take place immediately after at Nate's house...0.8miles away.

SJ4 will not be a normal contest. 

I intend on holding a competition that will shatter the single venue attendance, overwhelm contestants and create lifetime memories.  Although I will hold other contests in the future…this will be the one, that I pull out all the stops for.  The date was chosen to make sure our Gripboard friend Geralt Hulshof can attend.  He and his family will be visiting the USA in July.

My goal for the contest will be…an overall fulfilling time that is worth the time and money spent to attend.  That said, my breakdown goals are as follows…

A.  A serious comp. that people will train for.

B.  Extra events that are a blast to compete in, feats to attempt and even events (say bending) to learn.

C.  A feast that all will enjoy…and hopefully talk about in days to come.

D.  A gripster Social event, where we all get to meet people who we only see online.

E.  An opportunity to relax, unwind and momentarily forget the responsibilities and stress of daily life.

For those short on time…here is a brief summary of what the comp day will look like.

(An estimated timeline, contestant list and detailed thoughts on each point will follow in the second post.)

·      

Light Breakfast

·        Ironmind Certs

·        Sanctioned Contest (Grippers 30mm, Flask, 2.5" Crusher) 10 a.m. start

(at the end of sanctioned contest...we will relocate to Nate's.

Tasty and Plentiful Lunch

·        Epic 64ft Medley platform/Sledge Box

·        Bending Contest

·        Fraternizing, Food, Feats and Fun

·        Post comp shuttle to local hotel

·        An awesome wifey breakfast will be served from 8-11 on Sunday for any still in town. 

SJ4 also features…

·        zero entry fee (donations will go towards food and prizes)

·        a cool contest shirt provided

·        a cool (air conditioned) contest (now a rented meeting room at the Best Western)

·        sweet commissioned trophies

·        surprise non-competing guests

·        competitors from 3 countries (and possibly Texas ;) )

·        Sponsors both in…AND outside of the "Grip World"

·        local newspaper article

·        a hired videographer, and…

·        DVD videos will be provided for cost of shipping (for those in attendance and not).

·        All men's weight classes, a women's class and a Junior class.

·        The nearby (0.8miles) hotel is giving a group rate on rooms.

·        Nearby Airport (Philadelphia International…literally 20 min away)

·        For those who "go the distance," this will be a LONG but fun-filled day. 

That's the sum-up.

• Like 12

For those who have time, here is more detailed information. 

·        Light Breakfast  

Weigh-in…then rehydrate! (Coffee, OJ, muffins, NYC bagels)

·        Ironmind Certs 

(Red Nail, CoC#3, CoC#3.5, CTD)

·        Grippers 30mm, IHP Flask, 2.5" Crusher

With many contestants, the need for speed is paramount.  1 hand events are lighter, faster and can help a gripster work around an injury on one hand.

·        Tasty and Plentiful Lunch

Maureen and Krista (Hulshof) are going to prepare a feast for hungry gripsters

·        Epic 64ft Medley platform/Sledge Box 

Due to high contestant numbers, a 60 second medley will be used.  A sledge box video will be provided as we get closer to the contest.  The sledge will rise parallel to the ground and the arm will remain perpendicular to the sledge.

·        Bending Contest

Those who wish to enter the bending contest will do so.  We will have plenty of starter stock and at least 12 Red Nail Roster guys ready to teach bending to novices.  As we get closer…EJ, Carl and myself will finalize the details regarding the bending contest.

·        Fraternizing, Food, Feats and Fun

Seriously…stay as long as you'd like…enjoy seeing those seldom seen.

·        Post comp shuttle to local hotel

My daughter will be driving people who would prefer not to drive to the nearby hotel.  She will also do morning pick-ups as necessary. No tipping Nate's daughter.  He's sending her to college.

·       
An awesome wifey breakfast will be served from 8-11 on Sunday for any still in town. 

Historically, these have been excellent.

SJ4 also features…

·        zero entry fee (donations will go towards food and prizes)

I'd rather people put the money in the gas tank, ticket or hotel…than not come.

·        a cool contest shirt provided

I will reveal the new one after I design it.

·        a cool (air conditioned) contest

Grip Friends helped me relocate my gym.

·        sweet commissioned trophies

Henze Designs has been hired to create one of a kind trophies for SJ4.

·        surprise non-competing guests

Um…well surprises are surprises.  He/she/they will be someone new to the Brous House.

·        competitors from 3 countries…(and possibly Texas ;) )

USA, Canada, and the Netherlands will represent at SJ4!

·        Sponsors both in…AND outside of the "Grip World"

This should be a new one.  I'm working on getting non-gripsport sponsors.  So far it looks promising.

·        local newspaper article

SJ4 will get in the paper dammit…even if I have to write it for them!  lol

·        a hired videographer

Gonna pick Cottrell's brain to see if we can be cost effective on this one.

·        DVD videos will be provided for cost of shipping (for those in attendance and not).

Hopefully we can have a quick turnaround on this.  Any donations will go to offset expenses.

·        All men's weight classes, a woman class and a Junior class.

Very likely all classes will be represented.

·        The nearby (0.8miles) hotel is giving a group rate on rooms.

The Best Western   98 Friars Blvd, Thorofare, NJ 08086

Hotel Direct Number

856/848-4111

is very close to my house.  The Manager has agreed to give SJ4 Contestants a price break for rooms ($92 instead of $129).  There are King Bed rooms and 2 Queen rooms available.  The dates available are Friday 7/14 and Saturday 7/15.  Mention "SJ4 Grip" to get the reduced rate.  They will hold the block of rooms until 30 days prior to the event.  There will not be a penalty for making the reservation and cancelling.  I would encourage potential gripsters to reserve one sooner, if there is a decent chance of attending.

·        Nearby Airport (Philadelphia International…literally 20 min away)

"PHL" is very close to me…and almost all highway. 

·        For those who "go the distance," this will be a LONG but fun-filled day. 

Provided no one is "out of control", there won't be an official end time.  Please take the opportunity to enjoy the company of seldom seen gripsters.  There should be plenty of leftovers for anyone hungry.

• Like 7

Here is an estimated timeline of the day…

8:00-9:30 :   Breakfast/Weigh-in/Warm-up (for any who don't stop on the way) NY Bagels, Muffins, Coffee, OJ

Some people may be cutting weight and need to rehydrate.  This is a good time to socialize, relax from the drive, work out any kinks or butterflies.

9:30-9:45 :   Ironmind Certs.  #3's, Red Nails, CTD Challenges 

These go relatively quickly…and only add to an epic day.  If someone happens to draw a CPW160 #3 (obv.  grippers don't vary) and miss the cert…I guarantee the day will be awesome enough to overcome 90% of the disappointment.

9:45-10:00 :   Rules followed by shirts/group pic (here are links to IGC Rules and Event Rules… http://www.gripsport.org/documents/TRBIGC.pdf , http://www.gripsport.org/rules.htm )

10:00 :  Sanctioned Part of Contest Begins (Grippers 30mm, 1H Flask, 2.5" Crusher)

I once again chose only 3 (one handed) sanctioned events because the number of attendees will likely warrant this.  Additionally, those who live close by and can't stay the entire day…will have the opportunity to call it a day early (boooooo).  Most importantly…the food spread will be yummers and man can not live on steel alone.

3:30-3:45 :  Sanctioned Contest Ends, Prizes for all Men's weight classes, Jr's, Women.  Last year's sponsors were out of sight.  There is an excellent chance that this year will eclipse that.

3:45-5:00 :   Food, food, food. 

Maureen and Krista (Hulshof) will be handing the preparation.  They will also be tending to the Ice Water and Lemonade (hydration) area. (please thank them as often as possible J )

5:00-6:30 :  60 sec. Epic Medley/Sledge Choke (for any who want to participate).  There will be a video to demonstrate the Sledge Choke Box as the Event draws near.  Practicing lifting a sledge perpendicularly will simulate the box nicely.

There will be 64ft of loading platform.  The Jr's and Women will have access to all of it.  The Men will not.

I have made it a point to collect a lot of Women targets blobs/weights to make sure there are enough items that can be reasonable picked up with effort.  Nearly all of Horne's Griptopz will be featured in the Medley.  The numbers pretty much dictate a speed medley.  There was a request for a Sledge event.  I created the Sledge Box to keep the lift super strict.  Practicing keeping your hand at 90degrees from the sledge will prepare you for this event.  The Sledge Box will be "last man standing"

6:30-6:45 :  Prizes

6:45-7:45 :   Bending Contest and beginning of Fraternizing, food, feats and fun.  All are welcome to enter.  There will be light steel and at least 11 Red Nail Roster's there that can help teach ANYONE who wishes to learn how to bend. Those who want to start the socializing instead of bending are encouraged to do so.  It's not often we get to meet and greet.  Let's make it memorable.  Go for the "Manna-Nuff" or other Challenge items!

7:45-1am? :  Bending prizes and Chill at Nate's…stay as long as you like.  There will be a shuttle (Daughter driving) to the hotel (.8 miles) for ANYONE who doesn't want to get behind the wheel.

All may attend.  Below is an incomplete…but current status of competitors.  I will update it as peeps chime in. 

Attending (barring act of god)

Andrade, Christopher

Andrade, Anthony

Bascetta, Maria

Butler, Tim

Cabrera, Jose

Carter, Delmar

Chakir,  Mo

Clarino,  Anthony

Collen, Kevin

Cottrell, Rich

Donati,  Carl

Edwards,  Amber

Fleming, Dan

Goodman, Gil

Gougen, Jared

Henze, Josh

Hulshof,  Geralt

Hunt,  Matthew

Kapusta, Shawn

Livesey,  E.J.

McCarter, John

Phillips, Mike

Rabich, Michael

Retarides, James

Ricchezza, Cesare "Chez"

Scibelli,  Andrew

Scibelli,  Tom

Scibelli, Jacob

Smitley,  Don

Torrella,  Anton

Vasaturo, Anthony

Wojciechowski, John

Probably attending

Haack, Frank

Johnson, Jedd

Maizels, Brixton

Maizels, Patrick

Maizels, Patty

Manna,  John

Sundin, Bob

Possibly attending (Official Maybe)

Branson, Nic

Burgos, Brian

Burns,  Kody

Cashman, Sean

Corcorran, Aaron

Deluca, Frank

Jennings, Tommy

Labbe, David

Miller, Robert

Mitti, David

Otto, Jason

Rice, Chris

Schoeck, Chris

Sharkey, Mike

Steeves, Jason

Attending Status unknown

Cannon, Matt???

Edwards, Ben???

Johnson, Scott???

Kessler, Gary???

Koenig, Jor-el???

Koenig, Josh???

Pantke, Andrew???

Roussin, Eric???

Can't make it

Krahling,  Mike   can't make it

Raymond, Lucas   can't make it

Reinard, Daniel   can't make it

• Like 9

My hat goes off to you Nate. I told you maybe but now I'm going to work my ass off to actually attend this event! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

My hat goes off to you Nate. I told you maybe but now I'm going to work my ass off to actually attend this event! 

Would love to meet you in person John.  Your #3 journey was particularly motivating to me.

• Like 1

Looking at that list, you may need a bigger basement and.........house......wow.

• Like 1

One small question - somewhere above you say practice lifting a sledge perpendicular for the sledge choke?  Isn't the sledge horizontal when lifted or am I reading this wrong (very likely)?

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

One small question - somewhere above you say practice lifting a sledge perpendicular for the sledge choke?  Isn't the sledge horizontal when lifted or am I reading this wrong (very likely)?

Indeed I phrased it badly.  I mean that your arm will have to be perpendicular to the sledge as it is lifted...or the box will foul the lift.  

There will be very little play as far as the strictness of the lift.

So yes...the sledge will rise parallel to the ground.

The design is solid.  When I have a better prototype, I'll shoot a video.

This is looking to be such a great event! Can't wait!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Indeed I phrased it badly.  I mean that your arm will have to be perpendicular to the sledge as it is lifted...or the box will foul the lift.  

There will be very little play as far as the strictness of the lift.

So yes...the sledge will rise parallel to the ground.

The design is solid.  When I have a better prototype, I'll shoot a video.

Ah - got it and understand the reasoning also.

• Like 1

[quotes all posts above]

:blink:blink:blink this will be freakin' bigger than the israelites' exodes from Egypt right through the dead sea :blink:blink:blink  The human species will be talking about this for millennia. There's the holy bible. Achilles. SJ4. Also, I hope you don't forget that most people will only bring one pair of hands to the comp, holy moly. :D

jokes aside, I am very honored to meet up with all these people. It will be a lifetime experience. What an organisation man. 

Btw, I spoke @Anthony C. yesterday through messenger. The poor guy was toasted 😂

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, avasatu said:

Put me down under the attending barring divine intervention category!

Anthony Vasaturo

Haha...nice!  It's gonna be great to place faces to all the names.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm working on this with Kristy.  I would like to commit to coming.  We'll keep you posted.

That would be fantastic!  

I really appreciate that people are even considering coming from a distance.  It's a huge compliment.  

I very much want to make it entirely memorable to merit that.

I agree with Geralt that there may have to be an addendum to the bible to explain the events of July 15, 2017 - Marvel comics already proposed to make it the plot of Avengers 3

• Like 3

" The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people. "

• Like 5

On 11/29/2016 at 8:50 PM, Tom Scibelli said:

This is awesome Nate!! Can your basement fit everyone?

Unless people are crowding a single area...I think we will make it ok. I kinda had like 44 as a soft figure in mind.  After that it might get a bit tighter.

I'd really hate to turn peeps away since I'm not going all out again.  with July heat...it had to be indoors.  I thought hard about renting a gym...but decided I'd rather keep the invested money going right back to the gripsters.

EDIT:  This got too big to hold in the basement (sanctioned contest) so it will be held at the Best Western Meeting Room.

If there is a bit more sitting than milling...I think we will be fine.  

I think the opportunity to pull this off outweighs the possibility of crowding.  I'm cutting directly into the ductwork...so we should be able to keep it cool even with a large number of contestants.

Can wait to see your boys flask and crusher numbers this year.  They are growing like weeds. :)

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MRabich said:

Thank God parking is easy by Nate.

The neighbors will not be happy tho