2007 December - A Gripmas Carol - John Eaton

John Eaton

If you guys that didn't go to Gripmas haven't already figured it out. Chris Rice puts on a top-notch contest second to none. We had a great showing of competitors both new and the usual cast of characters. Sorely missed were Big Chad Woodall and Ryan "Gecko" Klein :D maybe next year. Climber's gym is loaded with equiptment and really cool grip toys. Climber put me to "work" on calibrating grippers to fill in the gaps needed. I was actually warmed up before the contest for once :D. Josh smoked us in the grippers. I actually had to adjust the mount on his Grand Elite and recalibrate it so he would have a gripper over 200 to close, while to gripper event was still going. Jedd made a behemoth effort on the 2 hand pinch record getting it up 5 inches or so. Eric made 210 look easy. Travis Alcorn is going to be a force to be reckoned with if he keeps coming to contests. 210 came right up for him. Do not make the mistake of grabbing the Euro tilted forward and starting the lift from there. I proved it doesn't work too well like that and it took me 3 attempts to get 200. finally getting it on my last attempt. I broke 220 off the floor a few times afterward and realized I would have had a good shot at 210. Josh Dale finally got a chance to try the Euro and look out for him when he gets his pinch dialed in. Climber had a rock solid 200 pinch.

I see the Euro pinch lists getting rewrote next year, as it increases in popularity in contests.

The axle deadlift was the Napalm and Thorton show with Jedd edging Dave out. A bunch of us were close in this event. As usual I provided a class on how not to do the deadlift. Managing on my last attempt to lock out 353 learning sumo style on the spot :D

The medley was as well thought out as it gets. If you you had a weakness it found it.

Jedd was on fire in reverse bending. Chis killed a bastard and Eric put away a 6" 1/4" square. The rest of us had some good bends.

A bunch of us were within a point going into the plate hold, so 2nd to 7th was up for grabs. Eric, Josh and Nick had outstanding endurance on this.

The food was great as expected. Thanks to Mrs. Rice for that.

The time spent with the Rice family was worth the trip all by itself. Thanks