Question COC #1?

Guest Ouch

I now have the COC #1 gripper. I come within about a pennies width of closing it each time. Is it possible for me to close this without having to buy the Trainer? If I cant close it yet how do I work to close it?

I realize this has been asked numerous times, but I havent seen anything for the #1.

Thanks

Sincerely

Ben Shelton

By the way it really pisses me off to see Joe Kinney's 12 year son squeeze the #1 shut. Im just kidding actually I think that is awesome.

Later

Ben

I just ordered the #1 a few minutes ago. I think I may end up finding myself in the same boat you're in when I get it. I'm also hoping I don't have to buy the Trainer.

I got a Pony clamp from Home Depot. It's a clamp to hold things together to keep them from moving (like when you're gluing wood or something). I heard that it's about as hard to close as the Trainer. You might get one. I got mine for about Ū.00. I can close it 10-12 times and plan on using to warm up with when I get my #1.

Jason

Jason,

I appreciate the idea. It sounds interesting, if they have anything like that at Lowes I might try it. If I do Ill let you know how it works. What section are they in????

You'll probably be surprised when you get the #1 because I know I was. The only grip work prior to getting the gripper that I did was timed grip holds. Mostly support type lifts.

Anyway take it easy-good luck

Ben

Ouch,

At Home Depot (here anyway), they have a hardware section that is separate from the other stuff. It's almost like a separate room where only the most elite manly men dare to venture. They have the power tools, saws, drillbits, sawblades, etc. there. That's where I found the Pony clamps. If you can't find them, just ask. They had several types all together. I just picked one that fit my hand OK and had a good deal of resistance.

Good luck!

Jason

Guest Russell Latterman

If you are only a pennies width away, then I think you already have the ability to close it if you do a good warmup.

First do some light stretching, then try to close it once.  Then wait ten minutes and try it again.  Just before your second atempt, walk around and get psyched up.  Maybe do a few pushups to get more blood flowing.  You have to get some hype.  This combined with a warmup will allways make your grip stronger.

and one more thing

The gripper has to be seasoned.  It is harder straight out of the bag, so you should force close it about 30 times before you start keeping records, otherwise it will slowly get easier as you train.  After you force close it 30 times, it stays at the same tension forever and can then be used for normal training.

good luck

Guest Claemore70

Howdy y'all.  I am also new to this stuff, and plan on getting some COC grippers, but took the advice from Jason Paul and went and bought to Pony clamps.  About how many pounds of resistence are involved with one of those?  I'd always bought those cheapo grippers at the sport's stores and have to do 200 reps before I get a workout.  These on the other hand work great!  Thanks Jason.

Guest Ouch

Yeah I like the Pony clamps also. They sem to be working good. Between my steel bends, pony clamps, and sledge hammer- I'm pretty sore. Im starting to feel like an old man with these sore fingers and hands.

take it easy

Ben

Glad to help!

I have no idea how many pounds of resistance the Pony clamps have, but I've heard that they're comparable to a COC Trainer - which is about 100 pounds.

Jason

(Edited by Jason Paul at 11:26 am on May 7, 2001)