Question Regarding Finding Dumbbells

ChimpGrip

I am searching for a pair of fixed 200 lb dumbbells. I have seen a pair of IronGrip 200s but can't find them on the Internet. I like having a fixed weight dumbbell rather than a bar to add/take off weights. Would I be better off with a dbell bar that I can add weights/take off weighs or the fixed weight dbell?

Where should I look to find fixed weight dbells @ 200 lbs a piece

Obviously better with an adjustable bar. How many exercises will you use a 200lb db for? There's a pair in my gym that has never moved in the two years I've been going there. Get the big boy dumbbell bars from ironmind.

I've had memberships to 4 different gyms as an adult, and worked out at several Power lifting Clubs in Michigan and Arizona. Only Thorbecke's in Phoenix had dumbbells that big and as far as I've seen no one ever touched them. Maybe they got used occasionally, but I think a set of dumbbell bars you could load to various weights of your choice would be so much more versatile and useful than just 2 huge 200 lb "widow makers" with a handle.

Anthony suggested the dumbbell handles from Iron Mind, and those do look nice, I don't have a set so I can't speak for their quality versus price point, but I just use Olympic size dumbbell handles I got at Play it Again Sports for $20 a piece, but then again I never put on more than 120 lbs and that involves using 25's which makes it a bit awkward.

Obviously better with an adjustable bar. How many exercises will you use a 200lb db for? There's a pair in my gym that has never moved in the two years I've been going there. Get the big boy dumbbell bars from ironmind.

Shrugs, rows, farmers walk, eventually dbell bench press and incline, and even further down, curls

Ill check out the iron mind bars

I've had memberships to 4 different gyms as an adult, and worked out at several Power lifting Clubs in Michigan and Arizona. Only Thorbecke's in Phoenix had dumbbells that big and as far as I've seen no one ever touched them. Maybe they got used occasionally, but I think a set of dumbbell bars you could load to various weights of your choice would be so much more versatile and useful than just 2 huge 200 lb "widow makers" with a handle.

Anthony suggested the dumbbell handles from Iron Mind, and those do look nice, I don't have a set so I can't speak for their quality versus price point, but I just use Olympic size dumbbell handles I got at Play it Again Sports for $20 a piece, but then again I never put on more than 120 lbs and that involves using 25's which makes it a bit awkward.

Yeah, most people will never use a 200 lb dumbbell. Is there a dbell handle out there that can hold 10 25s on each side? Just curious.

Ill probably go with the ironmind bar.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Shrugs, rows, farmers walk, eventually dbell bench press and incline, and even further down, curls

If you put up a video of you doing any of those exercises with that much weight, I'll PayPal you 20 dollars

If you put up a video of you doing any of those exercises with that much weight, I'll PayPal you 20 dollars

Once I get them, continue training, and can safely train with them, I will.

I think Farmer's walking 200 lb dumbells is a good goal to have. Rowing them and pressing them is an incredible feat most people never attain, but there's nothing wrong with trying your darnedest to achieve that level of strength. However, lets be real man, curling them lol!! That's something out a comic book!

Thats a foolish bet with shrugs in there. I train strictly for health reasons now and I could still easily shrug 200 lb dbs.

now curls...I would pay to see that as well.

• Like 1

Well to be fair, I didn't mean 2 years down the road lol. But hell, I've been training for almost a decade and I still can't to strict shrugs with 200 lbers.

Farmers walking them or shrugging them isn't that hard but rowing or pressing is a feat.

Can you lift 200lb with one hand man?

I would suggest a pair of load able handles. Behemoth dumbbells are just status symbols for gyms, not really usefull but cool to see as a reminder of where you want to be down the road. I probably wouldn't use things even if I could just because if you're strong enough for that, you'd be better off training with a bar.

It will take you a lifetime of just lifting and eating to be able to press 200lb dumb bells. Ronnie Coleman is paid to lift weights and eat, that's it. Maybe you should buy something more economical like 100lb DB first.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZM4VpuKxnU

It will take you a lifetime of just lifting and eating to be able to press 200lb dumb bells. Ronnie Coleman is paid to lift weights and eat, that's it. Maybe you should buy something more economical like 100lb DB first.

No ill stick to looking for 200 pounders or a bar that I can make 200s with.

I can already make 100 lb dbells with what I have

Farmers walking them or shrugging them isn't that hard but rowing or pressing is a feat.

Can you lift 200lb with one hand man?

Yes I can.

I love looking for dumbbells, but the biggest I have ever seen is a 200 lb pro dumbbell. You can go to: Newyorkbarbells.com; but they are like $500 a pop for the solid ones. They have screw tightening ones that are long enough to be loaded to that weight but, lifting a 200lb dumbbell with twist-on collars sounds sketchy. They have specialty collars which look like bare pro dumbbells, but I don't know anything about them. I bought a 100 lb hex dumbbell from them several years ago and I paid $100 dollars for the bell and more than $100 dollars for shipping.

Two other options are the iron mind dumbbell, or the atomic athletic dumbbell bar (far cheaper). Because the atomic athletic bar is just a bare 1 1/16 inch thick bar, If you like, with a little welding, you can make it almost exactly the same as the Iron mind bar. You could also talk to the owner about having it done (be prepared for a long conversation with an extremely nice man whom you would feel badly about cutting off). With the iron mind bars, though, you get two, the necessary collars, and you don't have to fool with welding.

Those websites are:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/dumbells.html

http://atomicathletic.com/store/index.php/

Also, it should be noted that the guy who invented "Croc Rows" used a 3 foot bolt designed to anchor buildings as the loading bar for his 300 lb dumbbell, and all the standard plated dumbbells I have seen over 200 lbs had bolts somewhere about them.

Edited by wulfgeat

I love looking for dumbbells, but the biggest I have ever seen is a 200 lb pro dumbbell. You can go to: Newyorkbarbells.com; but they are like $500 a pop for the solid ones. They have screw tightening ones that are long enough to be loaded to that weight but, lifting a 200lb dumbbell with twist-on collars sounds sketchy. They have specialty collars which look like bare pro dumbbells, but I don't know anything about them. I bought a 100 lb hex dumbbell from them several years ago and I paid $100 dollars for the bell and more than $100 dollars for shipping.

Two other options are the iron mind dumbbell, or the atomic athletic dumbbell bar (far cheaper). Because the atomic athletic bar is just a bare 1 1/16 inch thick bar, If you like, with a little welding, you can make it almost exactly the same as the Iron mind bar. You could also talk to the owner about having it done (be prepared for a long conversation with an extremely nice man whom you would feel badly about cutting off). With the iron mind bars, though, you get two, the necessary collars, and you don't have to fool with welding.

Those websites are:

Also, it should be noted that the guy who invented "Croc Rows" used a 3 foot bolt designed to anchor buildings as the loading bar for his 300 lb dumbbell, and all the standard plated dumbbells I have seen over 200 lbs had bolts somewhere about them.

I checked out the newyorkbarbell, Ill give it thought and decide what to purchase. I saw the iron mind bar, I like it. And I like the price better.

Just curious, but what's the heaviest dumbbell shrug that's ever been done?

Those websites are:

I checked out the newyorkbarbell, Ill give it thought and decide what to purchase. I saw the iron mind bar, I like it. And I like the price better.

Here's a guy dumbbell rowing 300lbs. Shitty form obviously, but still...

Those websites are:

That's Matt Croc doing croc rows with his modified dumbbell. His "shitty form" is the style of row that he developed--good for some things but not for others. . . He credits this row with bringing his deadlift from the low 700's to well over 800 lbs. If you read his articles on it, there is actually something very technical going on with that exercise--despite how crude it looks.

@Chimpgrip: I don't know what the heaviest dumbbell shrug ever recorded is, but you can safely assume that whatever weight the heaviest normal handled dumbbell has come too, it has been shrugged by somebody. If you are looking to do world record worthy shrugs, get some heavy duty farmer walk handles. Black widow sells a pair that is supposed to hold 540 lbs. . . each. That should be heavy enough to keep any shrug or rowing enthusiast busy for a while. . .

I had them custom make me a row handle and the owner seemed to be willing to do any modification I was willing to pay for.

This is them:

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation wulfgeat. Didn't know that. He's obviously very strong so he must indeed be doing something right. :-)

• Like 1

On 15/6/2014 at 8:24 AM, Royz said:

Thanks for the explanation wulfgeat. Didn't know that. He's obviously very strong so he must indeed be doing something right. :-)

maybe

Edited by CANCRUSHER
  • Like 2

He also shits roids.

LOL @ the above comment.

I have absolutely nothing useful to add here, only that I found it hilarious when I read the "eventually, curling them" comment, refering to a pair of TWO-HUNDRED POUND dummbells. :D That's a nice goal right there.

He also shits roids.

LOL @ the above comment.

I have absolutely nothing useful to add here, only that I found it hilarious when I read the "eventually, curling them" comment, refering to a pair of TWO-HUNDRED POUND dummbells. :D That's a nice goal right there.

What's wrong with shooting for something that hasn't been done? There have been many world records/feats of strength done over the years that were once thought to be impossible.

Those websites are:

http://youtu.be/JPfrBhdUHKQ

That's Matt Croc doing croc rows with his modified dumbbell. His "shitty form" is the style of row that he developed--good for some things but not for others. . . He credits this row with bringing his deadlift from the low 700's to well over 800 lbs. If you read his articles on it, there is actually something very technical going on with that exercise--despite how crude it looks.

@Chimpgrip: I don't know what the heaviest dumbbell shrug ever recorded is, but you can safely assume that whatever weight the heaviest normal handled dumbbell has come too, it has been shrugged by somebody. If you are looking to do world record worthy shrugs, get some heavy duty farmer walk handles. Black widow sells a pair that is supposed to hold 540 lbs. . . each. That should be heavy enough to keep any shrug or rowing enthusiast busy for a while. . .

I had them custom make me a row handle and the owner seemed to be willing to do any modification I was willing to pay for.

This is them:

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/

Ill check it out, thanks for the link btw. Has there ever been a 400 lb dumbbell dumbbell shrug?

Ill check it out, thanks for the link btw. Has there ever been a 400 lb dumbbell dumbbell shrug?

Are you being serious right now? Once again your posts are coming across like a troll.

Please don't waste peoples time on this board.

And don't mistake kindness for blindness.

200 lb dumbbell curls??

Edited by Frank Pizzo
  • Like 1