Newbie questions

Guest Sebenza

Guest Sebenza

I feel way out of my league here and would like some help.

Two weeks ago I got my Trainer gripper from Ironmind.  Could squeeze it, but not completely close it.  I swore they sent one that stops at the last quarter inch.  Then today, I closed with my right!  Thought the Trainer had finally loosened up enough I could really use it, but I've decided that I've actually begun to increase my strength.

So, it's working!

Now my question.  Looking back on your training, what do you wish you had done at the beginning of your training with the CoC's that might have helped you improve quicker.

My next purchase from IM is their book on hand strength and a CoC #1.  I understand that working with the next level CoC in addition to the Trainer should help.

Thanks, in advance!

Frank

Congrats on closing the Trainer. Most people that I have seen fail on the Trainer have no desire to close it.

The best advice that I can give is for you to refrain from over zealous training. Injuries happen but you will have fewer injuries if you train smart. Read John Brookfield's book. Do your exercises.

Guest AghastGrip

Sebenza-

I'd definitely agree with BarBender. Be careful not to overtrain, because the injuries will just set you back, and that's defintely not what you want! :)

Also another peice of advice, don't be afraid to take a week off if you feel your grip strength isn't improving, or especially if it is decreasing. You'd be be surprised what the occasional break in regular training can do for you!

Frank,

I'm in the same boat. I just got my "T" the other day and have only used it once...couldn't move the #### thing. After a couple sets it started bugging. I actually did a couple forced reps using my other hand to completely close it and hold it for a few seconds (which isn't easy if you can't close it on your own). I too got the book, not bad, not great, but worth having in your library for 15 bucks.

Good Luck

Fred

For me, I did mostly what I would advise a newbie, at first train 3x weekly untill you can close the #1(5sets of 5).  From there work on doing full reps use long breaks if needed and do around 5 sets 2-3x per week on the #1.  Try the #2 every 3 weeks or month, once you can get it within an 3/4 inch then do almost all reps on number 2, at this point I would cut volumne to two wo's a week.  Do five sets of 1 (attempt) again with large breaks.  Once you can do five reps on 2 start working on the three.  Heat before, Ice after, and get ready for a lot of caluses.  Also unlike many others who like strapholds, I don't ever use them, although after I nail the three(definatly with a year or two, although assume sooner) and move on to the four, i may need to add them to my repotaire.(sp?)   I also like to occasionally do sets of 15 or 20 of one rep over a series of hours, but not every week.

Dont rely too much on my/our advise, try all of it, but keep a journal and see what works for you. Good Luck

I strongly agree with Cap! Especially on finding what works for you and on the journal - it's great fun to look back and see how far hard work and dedication has taken you!

Keep us informed on your progress!