What Do You Use To Choke Your Grippers?

Jones1874

i use a hose clamp, but it tends to slip off between reps..

is there anything i can use that hold better?

Cheers.

Wrap some athletic or hockey tape around the handles beneath the hose clamp. Should help a lot.

• Like 2

A silk scarf and only gently...making sure to remember the safe word! ;)

Edited by Autolupus
  • Like 3

Wrap some athletic or hockey tape around the handles beneath the hose clamp. Should help a lot.

This should work perfectly. If you're Canadian you should have a lifestime supply of hockey tape on tap. I believe it's all supplied via the government much like public health care. If not, just use regular athletic tape. Or climbers tape if you want to spend 3x more for the same thing.

I must admit though, the only choker I use is the hand that is closing the gripper. All my gains have been had there. None with a hose clamp.

• Like 2

This should work perfectly. If you're Canadian you should have a lifestime supply of hockey tape on tap. I believe it's all supplied via the government much like public health care. If not, just use regular athletic tape. Or climbers tape if you want to spend 3x more for the same thing.

I must admit though, the only choker I use is the hand that is closing the gripper. All my gains have been had there. None with a hose clamp.

Same here. I don't train with chokers. It can make your set weak.

• Like 1

I don't think that it's going to make your set weak, but I do think that if you neglect the set then it will lag behind your close.

I don't think that it's going to make your set weak, but I do think that if you neglect the set then it will lag behind your close.

That is what I am talking about. If you spend a lot of time closing grippers in chokers, you aren't practicing your set and that is why over doing choker work could make your set weak. Chokers work for some people. If someone uses chokers though, they have to make sure not to neglect set practice. Closing big grippers with a set makes your set strong.

Look at big gripper closers...how many of them incorporate chokers in their plans? I don't know any. Scratch that, one, Savage does. Heck, include Chez and I in the big gripper group. We've both closed beyond #3.5s. Now draw a line at the #3.5 and count choker users. My guess is 90% of choker users are less than a #3.5 ability (MMS) and mabe 10% are above it. And the majority of the 90% are at the #3 at best with most less than that. One can listen to someone who knows how to smoke big grippers or one can listen to sub #3 closers.just saying guys.

Thinking about it I can't count how many times i've heard chokers don't carryover worth squat to MMS or wider. And some of the test subjects were 3.5 closers.

Edited by daniel reinard

Well, I don't use chokers. Like Daniel said, the only chokers i use are my hands. Course, I don't set grippers either. I just go from all the way open to close. Which means I'm not as high as others in gripper numbers... But thats how i like to do it. I'll get there doing things my way.

Anyway, I've never had a spare gripper to test this out with, but I always thought you could train usin chokers the same way one would train 1/4 squats or 1/4 benches. By itself, yes it will make you strong, but you won't have the sort of carryover to the full range movement. But if you were to train the partials after doing the full range stuff, then you'd get the best of both worlds. Or, do full range one day a week and partials on a different day. And over time, you could Employ the progressive distance principal and slowly increase the distance of the partial close until it approaches a fully open position...

Anyway, to answer your question, it seems like you could possibly hold the choker in place with the hand that isn't being worked, without it affecting the gripper close, and that way it wouldn't slide off. But again, that's just speculation, I haven't actually tried it, because I don't have the resources or motivation. Good luck, whatever you do.

• Like 1

It is hard not to chime in with what would most likely be my longest post ever, but let's just say that the way to look at choker training is far more complex than simple matter of stating if it works or not. Like with any other training method, more than what you do it comes down to how you do. I don't want to say that "do it, it works" because there is so much more to it. In fact so much that I will cover it in a lengthy article at some point when I am not so focused on actual training for that huge gripper close.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replys.

I found an article through searching google where someone used an oversized washer to choke his grippers. i think he said a washer with a 1.5" diameter will choke grippers up as far as the #2 or there abouts, but you have to drill a small hole on the inside diameter if you want to choke stronger grippers. i suppose the beauty is in being able to choke any gripper within seconds, and without much hassle.

im not too concerned right now about closing the biggest grippers right now, i was thinking of starting BJJ soon so i just want a good grip for that. also, theres something about the resistance curve that seems to bother my knuckles if i do TNS closes. ive got poor circulation in my hands too, which means i can take awhile to recover. i think i may have raynaurds disease which doesnt help.

Well dude, if you want strong grip for martial arts, you might be better off focusing more on odd and awkward things, like using thick handled dumbbells or blobs, and doing things like swings and cleans with them, because you would be forced to really clamp onto something that wants to tear out of your grip. Grippers are great tools, but you don't get that "fight" quality that you get with lifting awkward implements. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Choker work is NOT what you'll want if you want a grip for BJJ. Think about it. You'll only be working a grip in the 38-57mm range assuming you choke to parallel. Unless you're grabbing fingers and dingies I don't see how that will be effective for you. If you want a BJJ grip focus on axle and RT work. Way more bang for your efforts to be had there. With those you can work a grip that is useful to more activities than any other and it works your wrists too. Also, address you recovery issues. Do massages, contrast baths, linaments. And maybe see a doctor if you think you have a disease! Don't guess at the problem then just avoid it. Good luck training anything with success with that mentality.

Remember, train for what you want. Specificity! Want to grab wrists and arms? Start working on stuff that size. Want a limited ROM powerful crush, use choked grippers. As Teemu has said, it can be useful for some but a technical training regimen needs to be in place.

• Like 1

What Daniel said. We seem to in the same camp here.

Also, this is more of a thing from strongman than from grip specifically, but lifting kegs and sandbags is great for building combat strength. Both are really awkward and hard to get ahold of, particularly the sandbag because you're just grabbing bunched up fabric (like somebody's clothes!). The sandbag also will come apart on you as you try and lift it as the sand spreads out, and the keg, if mostly full (not totally full) of water will shake around and you'll have to work to keep it under control...

In short, if you're trying to get strong for fighting, grip or otherwise, your best bang for your buck is lifting things that don't "want" to be lifted. Because whoever you're grappling with is definitely not going to make it easy for you to get control over them.

• Like 2

Here is a blunt question...have you asked an experienced BJJ person how to get started with hand strength? If that's the goal, that's your best bet.

Rick Walker has some good articles on the Diesel site. I also look at two guys that have had to do a lot of grabbing and see what thet really excel at; Adam Glass and Ben Edwards, 2" V'Bar.

You've made some good points there. i suppose specificity is key. just trying to get back into it, had some time off and everything went to pot.. cant be helped, had lots of stuff going on. i probably need to work more on my supporting grip, there should be some carry over to crush grip too, but its probably supporting that i need to work on the most, and using towels, ropes and things like that.

• Like 2

That is what I am talking about. If you spend a lot of time closing grippers in chokers, you aren't practicing your set and that is why over doing choker work could make your set weak. Chokers work for some people. If someone uses chokers though, they have to make sure not to neglect set practice. Closing big grippers with a set makes your set strong.

1+

It is hard not to chime in with what would most likely be my longest post ever, but let's just say that the way to look at choker training is far more complex than simple matter of stating if it works or not. Like with any other training method, more than what you do it comes down to how you do. I don't want to say that "do it, it works" because there is so much more to it. In fact so much that I will cover it in a lengthy article at some point when I am not so focused on actual training for that huge gripper close.

100+

• 4 weeks later...

Use a muffler clamp, it is much stronger than a hose clamp and easily adjustable with your fingers. I believe the size I use is 2 1/8". I don't put tape on the gripper, and the clamp slides up, but usually when I am doing choker work I am doing singles anyway so this doesn't matter to me personally. Anyway, so far it is the best choker I have found.

I used a hose clamp for a while but my number 3 would give it issues, so I can't imagine a hose clamp works well with the heavy grippers (though I have seen people use them with a number 4!).

Clay Edgin did pretty well with chokers. I use them judiciously as part of an overall plan. They have their place and I have made gains using them, as have others. FYi, they represent probably 10% of my overall grip regimen.

Tom