"target Gap Whatchamacallits"?

rolf

I'm starting to work towards no-set closing a COC #2.5. I'll start by closing it to 12 mm from fully closed for singles and work from there towards fully closed over the next few months, hopefully.

I've taped together a stack of coins that measures 12 mm thick. Then I'll remove coins from the stack every now and then. This will work, but I was wondering if anyone makes something that could be used for this kind of training with "target gaps".

The CoC Key will not work, as it's meant for measuring the gap and thus the different thickness surfaces are way too tiny to aim at.

you're referring to 'set blocks'. Grippersuperstore (http://www.grippersu...26&prod_id=2020) and David Horne's World of Grip (http://www.davidhorn...hop.html#blocks) sell them. I recommend you get one from each and you will have four different sizes to work with.

Thanks, but those are actually used for working from partial close to full close, I'm looking for something for working from fully open to partial close (e.g. 4 mm).

Edited by rolf

you're referring to 'set blocks'. Grippersuperstore (http://www.grippersu...26&prod_id=2020) and David Horne's World of Grip (http://www.davidhorn...hop.html#blocks) sell them. I recommend you get one from each and you will have four different sizes to work with.

Thanks, but those are actually used for working from partial close to full close, I'm looking for something for working from fully open to partial close (e.g. 4 mm).

you can still use these to close the handles onto but yeah, you won't get down to 4mm as the GHP is 15mm on the short side and the DH is 20mm. maybe just work with several stacks of coins taped together, they don't cost much and there's no postage either.

you can still use these to close the handles onto but yeah, you won't get down to 4mm as the GHP is 15mm on the short side and the DH is 20mm. maybe just work with several stacks of coins taped together, they don't cost much and there's no postage either.

sorry - the GHP is 25mm at the narrrowest point

(how do you edit posts?)

Yep, I think the coin stacks would make the most sense. They're a bit flimsy, but they do work. The ready-made pieces would have been more cool than necessary.

(There's an Edit link to the left of your own post's MultiQuote button that is just barely visible until you move the pointer close to it, quite hard to notice)

Edited by rolf

I use a stack of half dollars, easy to hold in the off-hand and enough surface area to pinch between the grippers.

thanks rolf, seems I only have a feint Report button, will write the admin team and see if there is a problem

edit - now the button appears! I'm sure it wasn't there before

Edited by chilliman64

rolf - a deck of cards held together by a rubber band might work also

(thanks tentacle - I now see that the edit button is temporary)

rolf - a deck of cards held together by a rubber band might work also

That's actually a great idea. I'll probably stick to my coins for now, but the card deck would allow very precise thicknesses if I ever need to "microload" gap-wise.

I've taped together a stack of coins that measures 12 mm thick. Then I'll remove coins from the stack every now and then. This will work, but I was wondering if anyone makes something that could be used for this kind of training with "target gaps".

The CoC Key will not work, as it's meant for measuring the gap and thus the different thickness surfaces are way too tiny to aim at.

Actually the coc key is exactly this what it does. you hold it on the dogleg when closing, and when it touches, you know the distance. You can start at 18mm, and work your way to full close in steps of 2mm. It's exactly what you describe.

But, to my findings, the coc key is just too tiny and therefore not practical to work with.

Bob

ps,

If you might own a coc key already, guess it's better value to drill a hole through and use it as a silver bullet

I used to use a stack of pennies that I taped together with duct tape. Held together quite well if you use enough duct tape on them. Micro-loadable. Use dimes if you want an inbetween width or a quarter if you want thicker. Nickels work too of course.