Advice On Pulling A Guy With A Much Thicker Hand

BigJan85

I'm not an armwrestler by any means but I do decently based on my wrist and brute arm strength alone in bar matches. This big guy (315ish) wants to arm wrestle me and hes got some big mitts on him. His hands are way thicker than mine and I feel like it might present a problem trying to grip up with him. Anyone have any advice or technique I can use to my advantage?

I'm not an armwrestler by any means but I do decently based on my wrist and brute arm strength alone in bar matches. This big guy (315ish) wants to arm wrestle me and hes got some big mitts on him. His hands are way thicker than mine and I feel like it might present a problem trying to grip up with him. Anyone have any advice or technique I can use to my advantage?

I am by no means the guy to advise on this, but I figured I would share because nobody has commented. I would try to get high on his hand initially, which will help play down the whole big hand issue. If he is a big guy, try and use some speed to get a jump, and shoot for a hook or load the lats and open him up fast.

Sean

I love to toproll guys with big hands, they seem to fold easier, bigger doesn't mean stronger. In other words don't be intimidated or you have lost already.

Top Roll would be your best bet, especially against a larger opponent. I'm assuming this guy isn't a pro or anything so you should be able to get a really high grip with him without him noticing too much. Back pressure and crack open his hand to take his wrist but watch out if he goes for a press. Once your wrist flops back the only real thing you can do is a press so if you see him lean into his arm, yank his arm back towards you and continue with the top roll.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Mike and Matrixsleeper. My hands are small, and I used to be intimidated by guys with larger hand/forearm. But the weak link in most people is still their wrist. Strong hand doesn't mean strong wrist, especially in wrist rotation. Every since I train my wrist rotation a lot, I feel very few NON AWer guys can attack my wrist. In Non-AWer they may have strong larger hand but wrist is still a weak link if untrained for AW. I met a guy in my gym who is a powerhouse name Mac. Mac is 6' and 210 and he trains his wrist like crazy too but not for AW. He got a large hand and much bigger forearm than mine. I thought I'd lose to such a strong guy (he could do a human flag on the pole) . But after we gripped up, I realized he couldn't do anything to my wrist and hand. Suddenly my specialized AW wrist training helps me big time. BTW, I am only 5'6" 154 LBS. That day we AWed in free standing position, I honestly felt if we had a table that day I would beat Mac. In standing position and giving up 55lbs it's hard to get anchored down to hit. We did it like this: Face your opponent and grip as if in AW then squat down to until you legs near 90 degree, the only rule you need to observe is "Don't lift your elbow up" keep it low and you win by stretching his arm or he loses his footing. We stood staggered to our left a bit (RH match) and NO pushing. It is fun and your legs will tremble too, because it tended to last more than 15 seconds , LOL

• 1 month later...

I do not armwrestle very often any more and only did it as a challenge against others who are normally much bigger than I used to be. This was when I weighed about 230 pounds. The reason I have not armwrestled in a while is because I am now 260 and it's harder to find people much larger than me anymore. Plus when you are 6'2 260, people who think it's all power expect you to win most of the time and it's not as fun anymore.

After pulling against multiple people from 280-350 lbs, I have found that if they are under 6' tall, keep them close to you on the table. Try to stretch them out and off of their back leg as much as possible. Pull them in tight and don't give an inch. If the shorter guy can't get to his back leg to use as an anchor, it's harder for him to use his weight as leverage and gives you, hopefully the stronger person an advantage. This is the only detailed technique specific to shorter, heavy guys I can give you. If it is a 300lb guy and he is say 6'1+, you are better off trying to wear him down and fatige his muscles if he is not experienced enough. It's easier for the taller guy to keep his back leg on the ground even when you keep him in close to you.

I have beaten several large, shorter guys using this technique. One of which was a 5'10 340lb guy who played college football at Colorado. I was about 225lbs at the time. My co-worker set this match up as a joke to him because he knew I liked to armwrestle. I did not take it as a joke, and neither of those two did after I slammed the guy not once but twice.