I Making A Saxon Bar

rico300zx

I finally picked up all the stuff for my Saxon bar today at the scrap yard.

Its gonna be 2x4 tubing 42"long with a solid 1" bar running through the middle that is 58" Long.

That should give it 8" loading pins. I'm also going to weld 2 1/2 lb. plates onto the ends. This will keep the weights from wiggling around and also keep the bar centered in the tubing then slide the 1" bar in and put on my weights and use spring collars to hold it together, however if I don't like the removable bar thing then I'll just weld it in too. But this way the handle would rotate easier than just the weight alone trying to spin on non rotating ends when going for a snatch. I think this will be a new and cool idea.

I'm gonna keep it outside and that's why I chose the one inch bar, cause all my 1" weights are outside. Plus I can always get Olympic adapters if I wanted to use oly weights in the future.

If any of you guys have tips let me know now cause I'll be welding in a couple days I think

Parris

• Like 1

I've got pics of mine on FB if you want to look.

(null)

The solid 1" bar may make it a bit heavy for things like wrist curls.

To keep it light. I welded in 1.5" tubing with the 1.9" OD. I just ground the tubing about 4 inches to make it fit into the 4X2 or 5X2 whatever I used. Then I welded it together. I have some pics up in my gallery.

I think you will really like the Saxon bar. I cant weight for it to warm up a bit so I can go back outside with my Saxon bar and axle.

(null)

I check it out , thanks

To keep it light. I welded in 1.5" tubing with the 1.9" OD. I just ground the tubing about 4 inches to make it fit into the 4X2 or 5X2 whatever I used. Then I welded it together. I have some pics up in my gallery.

I think you will really like the Saxon bar. I cant weight for it to warm up a bit so I can go back outside with my Saxon bar and axle.

Ha and I was wondering if 8"loading pins was going to be enough for all the weight I was going to add!

(null)

I check it out , thanks

Ha and I was wondering if 8"loading pins was going to be enough for all the weight I was going to add!

Ok I'm thinking of changing the design for storage purposes and travel purposes.

How about this, what if I caped of the ends of the square tubing then just welded on 10" pieces of 3/4 black pipe, I think that the 1" spring colars will still work on it. I just don't know if the pipe would bend weird if it was just welded onto to ends. If I threw it down after a clean and press. Mean if you had 100lb on each end would it happen? I wonder because my weight tree has the pieces welded on and I put a stack weights to the end of the pipe there and it hasn't bent yet so I'm thinking it should be strong enough. I want to get away from the 2 1/2 lb weights because I won't be able to slide it under my van seat easily.

Rico

Ok I'm thinking of changing the design for storage purposes and travel purposes.

How about this, what if I caped of the ends of the square tubing then just welded on 10" pieces of 3/4 black pipe, I think that the 1" spring colars will still work on it. I just don't know if the pipe would bend weird if it was just welded onto to ends. If I threw it down after a clean and press. Mean if you had 100lb on each end would it happen? I wonder because my weight tree has the pieces welded on and I put a stack weights to the end of the pipe there and it hasn't bent yet so I'm thinking it should be strong enough. I want to get away from the 2 1/2 lb weights because I won't be able to slide it under my van seat easily.

Rico

Does that 3/4 pipe fit inside the square pipe?

If does, it might get stronger if you put those 3/4 pipes about 5 inches inside the square tubing. Then drill couple holes to square pipe, and weld through the holes black pipe to square pipe. Then weld flat metal with holes to seal ends.

Rico

If does, it might get stronger if you put those 3/4 pipes about 5 inches inside the square tubing. Then drill couple holes to square pipe, and weld through the holes black pipe to square pipe. Then weld flat metal with holes to seal ends.

Yea its too loose though, its only 1” od and the tubing is 2x4

Rico

Yea its too loose though, its only 1” od and the tubing is 2x4

Oops sorry of course, head little messed up after deadlifts :D

ok here is the vid, i finished it

saxon bar and home gym tour

• Like 1

changed the saxon bar to take olympic plates check it out:

Your bar came out really nice Parris a great design for others to follow for sure!

What made you switch from the standard to olympic ends?

Looks nice

Thanks Gator and Rich

I decided that I want to use this bar indoors a little more than I had originally planned, that's why I decided to change it up. Most of the weights in my training room are olympic so I changed it over.

Rico