82.5k Class Wsh Predictions And Discussion

odin

:D Headed to Adam's on Sunday to check my numbers. I still think I can pull an 82.5 WR on the coin and possibly the stub as well. I'll keep you posted.

Hey now, take the coin record but leave me something you two. :rolleyes Naw, kill it Matt. I want to see big numbers posted. You may do more damage than you think in leg 2 if you go big on those two lifts.

Hypothetically, he could still win the whole thing by taking the last two legs, and a big GTz score would go a long way towards doing just that.

I don't totally understand the points, but didn't I record a big "0" for Leg 1? So my Leg 2 and Leg 3 scores would have to total more than the three combined scores of people who didn't miss a leg?

I have been working under the assumption that I'm sunk for the overall, but could still have good individual showings at Leg2 and Leg3.

I don't totally understand the points, but didn't I record a big "0" for Leg 1? So my Leg 2 and Leg 3 scores would have to total more than the three combined scores of people who didn't miss a leg?

I have been working under the assumption that I'm sunk for the overall, but could still have good individual showings at Leg2 and Leg3.

1st = 200 2nd = 120 3rd = 72 4th = 36 5th = 18 6th = 9 7th = 4.5 8th = 4.25 9th = 4 10th = 3.75 11th = 3.5 12th = 3.25 13th = 3 14th = 2.75 15th = 2.5 16th = 2.25 17th = 2 18th = 1.75 19th = 1.5 20th and other places = 1.25

You can see the top three spots are where the points are at. If you were to take a 1st that would knock me and Pete (assuming we perform the same as leg1) down quite a bit. If you took 1st both legs you'd have 400 points. If I got 2nd those last two legs I'd have 440, and if I got a 2nd and 3rd placing it'd be 392. You can see if you kick butt and take the next two legs I'd HAVE to place 2nd both times for the overall win or else you take it by a hair. With Pete doing quite well right now and Bob with so much room to grow on these events (Elmer I don't know enough about) the final placings could be quite interesting. So keep at it bro. This will be down to the wire for the overall top 3 and you have a shot IMO.

Edited by daniel reinard

So how many 82.5 guys were there in the USA for leg 1?

So how many 82.5 guys were there in the USA for leg 1?
</p>

Here was everyone from Leg 1. Looks like possibly 10 or 11 were USA.</p>

<p><span style="font-weight: bold">Men’s 82.5k Class Overall results (21 competitors)</span><br />

<br />

1 Daniel Reinard - 11pt<br />

2 Pete Kerr - 13.5pt<br />

3 David Elmer - 14.5pt<br />

4 Bob Sundin - 17.5pt<br />

5 Teemu Koivunen - 20pt<br />

6 Derek Graybill - 26pt<br />

7 Ryan J Pitts - 39pt<br />

8 Dmitry Motorin - 40.5pt<br />

9 Tomislav Basic - 41pt<br />

10 Taneli Levo - 42.5pt<br />

11 Kevin Greto - 46pt<br />

12 Nick Oswald - 47.5pt<br />

13 Darrin Shallman - 49.5pt<br />

14 Chris Smith - 55pt<br />

15 David Sandel - 55.5pt<br />

16 Nikolay Saveliev - 58pt<br />

17 Tomas Valverde - 58.5pt<br />

18 Kris Wragg - 61pt<br />

19 Craig Mooney - 71pt (16 yrs)<br />

20 Thomas Mitchell - 75pt (15 yrs)<br />

21 Pyry Harju - 81.5pt (11 yrs)<br />

</p>

Jedd will have a headline on his 10/10/11 blog post that looks something like this:

"REIGNMAN" DANIEL REINARD STORMS DIESEL COMPOUND:

*MANHANDLES THOMAS INCH DUMBBELL!

*JOHN EATON-LIKE HIGH PULL WITH 2x45 PLATE PINCH!

*3x25 PLATE PINCH!

*MONSTROUS 57.5# HEX LIFT!

*SIX DIMES PINCH!

*WINS 82.5k CLASS AND BREAKS 82.5 K WORLD RECORD IN WSH LEG #3

*AND MUCH MORE...

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

• 1 month later...

I think Daniel has a shot to win this. His numbers are shooting up like crazy right now. He may not start at the top, but could very well be pushing Eric and Peter by the end.

In this first leg, his ridiculous hubbing ability may be enough to make up for his lack of experience on the other implements (although he has the griptopz and a 2HP I believe now). I think he's hubbed a 45 + 25 or 30 lbs. He'll probably only get a level 14 or 15 in this first round on the vulcan, but should have 200+ 2HP, be real solid on the half coin and should dominate the class in the shallow hub lift.

Given his upside, he could be in the hunt at the end of all the legs.

Told ya so! :grin:

Big congrats to Daniel! Awesome job to Matt Cannon for hitting the top 5!!!

I think Daniel has a shot to win this. His numbers are shooting up like crazy right now. He may not start at the top, but could very well be pushing Eric and Peter by the end.

In this first leg, his ridiculous hubbing ability may be enough to make up for his lack of experience on the other implements (although he has the griptopz and a 2HP I believe now). I think he's hubbed a 45 + 25 or 30 lbs. He'll probably only get a level 14 or 15 in this first round on the vulcan, but should have 200+ 2HP, be real solid on the half coin and should dominate the class in the shallow hub lift.

Given his upside, he could be in the hunt at the end of all the legs.

Told ya so! :grin:

Big congrats to Daniel! Awesome job to Matt Cannon for hitting the top 5!!!

Big thanks to Mike for giving me direction after Nationals to focus on grip.

Great job Matt! Not bad for no Leg 1 score!

Big thanks to Mike for giving me direction after Nationals to focus on grip. Great job Matt! Not bad for no Leg 1 score!

Thanks! I am INCREDIBLY happy with the 5th place finish. Even if I had of recorded a score in Leg 1, there is enough of a drop-off that I would still be in 5th. Feels right for my performance. Very, very happy with 5th. I need to bring up my 2HP, but the GripTopz events suited me well.

Too bad about Peter. I had not heard he was injured.

Also, Bob, did you not make weight for Leg 3?

Big thanks to Mike for giving me direction after Nationals to focus on grip. Great job Matt! Not bad for no Leg 1 score!

Thanks! I am INCREDIBLY happy with the 5th place finish. Even if I had of recorded a score in Leg 1, there is enough of a drop-off that I would still be in 5th. Feels right for my performance. Very, very happy with 5th. I need to bring up my 2HP, but the GripTopz events suited me well.

Too bad about Peter. I had not heard he was injured.

Also, Bob, did you not make weight for Leg 3?

Well done Matt!

I made weight easily (176#) , it was just a bookkeeping thing that got straightened out later. I bombed the last event as I was going for broke.

• 3 months later...

Well Eric and myself are doing our best to live up to your expectations (although not within the WSH series). Eric smashed the 2HP WR by a big margin, proving you right as far as the 2HP goes. My turn in a few days in the 1HP.

Eric Milfeld and Mikael will hammer everybody in this division.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• 1 month later...

Anybody planning on dropping to the 74 k class ? I ask because I am getting close at about # 167. My acid reflux is gone and I feel alot healthier now. My body seems happier when I am lighter. Anyway, I hope all you lightweights out there are healthy and training hard, and looking forward to some great competition between us.

Yes, Casey, I am well in the 74kg class these days. I currently weight about 148. Glad to see you might be as well because there are not many guys!

Training is going incredibly well. Here are my WSH contest PRs which I have improved in training since last fall:

Vulcan: L14 @ 20mm

2HP: 178# (which will be over 120% of bodyweight if I can lift it again in a contest.)

Coin: 35.07#

Stub: 41.79#

Hub: 44.26#

I'm really bummed that I missed Adam's Records Day last week. I believe I could have established 74k world records in many events. Sounds like I'll have another chance in late April for another contest Adam is planning. I'm very excited!

Wow, Casey, you were 179 in January at Metroflex. Has the loss affected your strength? You pulled 200# on the 2HP at that contest. You still in that range? That would be an incredibly high mark for the 74kg class.

Wow, Casey, you were 179 in January at Metroflex. Has the loss affected your strength? You pulled 200# on the 2HP at that contest. You still in that range? That would be an incredibly high mark for the 74kg class.

Matt, so far not much loss yet. I think alot of my extra weight was fat because of gorging foods. I feel like 200 + is very possible in the 74 k for me but I have been wrong before so no garantees. My hub is un- affected by my weight. I think grippers will be affected the most. I have only been training pinch for a few months now, so I am still making fast gains in that department.

Dang dude, that would be incredible in the 74k class. Get down there if you can! It would be exciting to compete against you.

Guys, don't pigeon hole yourselves into thinking that 200 is not attainable by those in the lighter class. Don't even let it enter your head. Focus on your goal, continually work on your technique, and go for it.

Looking forward to the numbers as these classes are continually contested - kick ass!

Jedd

I believe a lot of the barriers we set in our minds are simply that - in the mind. Once you break it in your belief - it often follows shortly in reality. If any of you follow Olympic Lifting or Power Lifting the lift percentages of body weight in the smaller classes are much higher than we are currently seeing in Grip (pinch) compared to the heavier classes. I completely believe we will see 1.25 times body weight in the smaller classes very soon and ever more down the road.

Weather you think you can or you can't - you are probably right!

Chris, I totally agree with you. Whether you thiink you can or you can't, you're probably right!

Based on your reply and Jedd's, I went back and re-read what Casey and I were talking about. I can't tell how it seemed we were discussing barriers, but rather how excited we are about the class. I would love for Casey to make weight and set the 74k bar over 200#. That would be very exciting!

Thank you as well for the motivation!

Actually, I have already told Eric that after I set the 74 k record, I'm gonna take his at 82.5k, then you better watch out Jedd, I'm comin for your record. It may take a few months though. . . . . :grin:

Just kidding. . . . . . but seriously. . . . . .

Regarding setting goals, many people starting training with IM grippers believe they will close the #4 one day, almost none of them do. If the goals are too high there is definitely a risk that motivation will crumble. Better imo to set small goals and take it from there. No rush in grip as things take time.