82.5k Class Wsh Predictions And Discussion

odin

Here's my top five 82.5k predictions without searching around or thinking too much: sorry for anyone that didn't immediately come to mind.

Eric Milfeld: very experienced competitor with no weaknesses that I know of.

Peter Kerr: May be the favorite on paper, ridiculous strength for his size.

Daniel Reinard: could easily win the class if he plays his cards right. May dominate class for years once he gets rolling. I don't think he has any Vulcan experience and his contest experience is limited, which could hurt him.

Mikael Siversson: Experience will help him. I may have him rated too low as he is a very strong and experienced competitor who brings his best on contest day.

Dave Elmer: Lots of experience; I don't know much about him or I might have placed him higher.

In my opinion, any of these five could win the whole thing. Casey Emery is very dangerous as well, but last I heard he was ~88k BW.

Derek Graybill is another strong competitor, but his 2HP may hurt his chances.

I heard Ben Edwards might be competing in this class? if so, all bets are off...

Eric Milfeld and Mikael will hammer everybody in this division.

Edited by jad

David just said Mikael is not competing this year? I hadn't heard that until now.

Can't call it, it will be a dog fight for the #1 spot as a few of these guys are within 1 kg of each other on pinch and grip topz

David just said Mikael is not competing this year? I hadn't heard that until now.

Me either? I'm assuming you're talking about David Horne? I'm not a member of that board. I wonder what the deal is on that?

Me either? I'm assuming you're talking about David Horne? I'm not a member of that board. I wonder what the deal is on that?

Josh, I just asked David Horne and Mikael is fine, he's just 1690 miles away from the nearest location (he is on the other side of Australia from their comp).

Josh, I just asked David Horne and Mikael is fine, he's just 1690 miles away from the nearest location (he is on the other side of Australia from their comp).

I guess I just assumed Mikael was running his own WSH site. :erm

I guess I just assumed Mikael was running his own WSH site. :erm

Me too, I assumed the Australian location was his. Who is running it I wonder? Nick M. or Vince Basille?

I think Daniel has a shot to win this. His numbers are shooting up like crazy right now. He may not start at the top, but could very well be pushing Eric and Peter by the end.

In this first leg, his ridiculous hubbing ability may be enough to make up for his lack of experience on the other implements (although he has the griptopz and a 2HP I believe now). I think he's hubbed a 45 + 25 or 30 lbs. He'll probably only get a level 14 or 15 in this first round on the vulcan, but should have 200+ 2HP, be real solid on the half coin and should dominate the class in the shallow hub lift.

Given his upside, he could be in the hunt at the end of all the legs.

In this first leg, his ridiculous hubbing ability may be enough to make up for his lack of experience on the other implements (although he has the griptopz and a 2HP I believe now). I think he's hubbed a 45 + 25 or 30 lbs. He'll probably only get a level 14 or 15 in this first round on the vulcan, but should have 200+ 2HP, be real solid on the half coin and should dominate the class in the shallow hub lift.

Dan did that? :ohmy

Dan did that? :ohmy

Here's the vid from a couple months ago. Don't let the partially bent horseshoes on the workbench bother you. We're about to fix that. :D

45 Hub + 25lb:

Unreal.

Yea, I hate him.

I think all the pinch in this year's series is right in his wheel house. If he can get his 2HP up to 215 or 220 by the 3rd leg and the vulcan set doesn't mess with him too bad, he could easily win the LW class. And that's saying a lot with competition like Eric and Peter out there.

At nationals, he had no idea what to try on the 2HP. 180 was super easy for him, and he's had a month to work on technique. I would not be surprised to see 205 or 210 go up in this first leg.

Lol, so much love and hate.

Seriously, my prediction is Eric hands down.

On me, I have never used a Vulcan so I hope it doesn't jack with me too bad. One is on order through Jedd so I can't wait to step up my game on that at least for the last 2 legs. I'm currently waiting on 2hp collars so I can use it. I'll have one training session in before WSH so the focus will be technique. I expect a 200# lift and will plan around that goal. My shallow hub is decent, not crazy good. I have an expectation but I think that # will need to come up by the last leg. My coin lift sucks. , micro pinches are hard. Interestingly my stub lift is pretty good so I look forward to doing some damage there. I know I can best the british LW stub record.

All in all it will be a close race like it was said and it will be a ton of fun.

No Josh I am not competing in the WSH series this year. Having said that I will compete in the 1HP in January 2012 and in the 2HP in July 2012 or thereabouts. I am now into my second month of ever training my wrists seriously so I think that will help my pinch and other grip stuff as well. The 82.5k class is going to be very, very competitive.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Daniel has a shot to win this. His numbers are shooting up like crazy right now. He may not start at the top, but could very well be pushing Eric and Peter by the end.

Given his upside, he could be in the hunt at the end of all the legs.

Unreal.

Yea, I hate him.

I think all the pinch in this year's series is right in his wheel house. If he can get his 2HP up to 215 or 220 by the 3rd leg and the vulcan set doesn't mess with him too bad, he could easily win the LW class. And that's saying a lot with competition like Eric and Peter out there.

At nationals, he had no idea what to try on the 2HP. 180 was super easy for him, and he's had a month to work on technique. I would not be surprised to see 205 or 210 go up in this first leg.

Nice predictions Mike!

I am the Jimmy the Greek of Gripsport! :laugh:laugh

I had the advantage of seeing how dissapointed Daniel was to not have attempted something higher on each of his lifts at Nationals. I was guessing he had about a 15 - 20% upside with just some experience on where to come in and what jumps to make. Add in actually training some of this stuff, and I knew he would be in the mix. :rock

So what are your predictions for the next two legs? You'll probably even be able to predict our weight lifted in each event. :online:yikes

Based on the numbers from Leg 1, I believe I will crack into the top 7.

You very well could if your home-brewed coin lift is similar in feel to the GTz coin. Ryan Pitts is 7th now and it seems he has improved a lot from last year if I'm remembering his #s correctly.

The stub and coin feel somewhat similar, both narrow pinch-related. I was really surprised to be 15th overall on the coin, as narrow pinch was something I never trained, always failed at in medleys, and just trained 2 weeks w/ the coin and hub (another thing I've never trained as it reminds me of pulling weeds, yuck) before Leg One.

I'm right with you Bob. Thin pinch is a turd. I don't know how Matt does it. He says the carryover to the real deal is almost the same so I expect him to pull off a top spot there. The stub on the other hand feels way different. Let's just say my stub lifts are almost as good as my hub lifts so I'm looking forward to this event to help boost the score. If progress keeps going up the overall stub record might be broken as well. :D

You haven't had the griptopz long so quick gains are probably still to be had. I see you climbing the ranks in each leg for each event.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Yeah, the thin pinch is a killer on my thumb joints, especially my LH one. Any technique tips on the stub, since you'll be at least 10 lbs. ahead of me? I'm only at 30 lbs. plus the loading pin and it doesn't feel any easier than the coin really, must be doing something wrong.

I expect the 3rd leg to be my best overall, hopefully I'll still be in the mix enough to make some noise.

Based on the numbers from Leg 1, I believe I will crack into the top 7.
You very well could if your home-brewed coin lift is similar in feel to the GTz coin. Ryan Pitts is 7th now and it seems he has improved a lot from last year if I'm remembering his #s correctly. The stub and coin feel somewhat similar, both narrow pinch-related. I was really surprised to be 15th overall on the coin, as narrow pinch was something I never trained, always failed at in medleys, and just trained 2 weeks w/ the coin and hub (another thing I've never trained as it reminds me of pulling weeds, yuck) before Leg One.

:D Headed to Adam's on Sunday to check my numbers. I still think I can pull an 82.5 WR on the coin and possibly the stub as well. I'll keep you posted.

:D Headed to Adam's on Sunday to check my numbers. I still think I can pull an 82.5 WR on the coin and possibly the stub as well. I'll keep you posted.

Hey now, take the coin record but leave me something you two. :rolleyes Naw, kill it Matt. I want to see big numbers posted. You may do more damage than you think in leg 2 if you go big on those two lifts.