Espn Gift To Grip

1stCoC

A friend just brought by an ESPN magazine and a lengthy article was done about Rich Williams, grip, its growing interest, and some of the training tools we use in the grip community to enhance our strength. I do think this was as I suspected a good shot in the arm for us ALL to grow interest in grip training and put a spotlight on the present level of human hand strength ability.

A friend just brought by an ESPN magazine and a lengthy article was done about Rich Williams, grip, its growing interest, and some of the training tools we use in the grip community to enhance our strength. I do think this was as I suspected a good shot in the arm for us ALL to grow interest in grip training and put a spotlight on the present level of human hand strength ability.

Tell Rich Thanks and Congrats from me please! Now I just have to find a copy of that magazine.

Awesome news. Thank you to the Sorinex crew who have played a huge role in the growth of the sport.

Do you know what date, whats on the cover so I could check it out?

Thanks

The thread title says April 18th issue.

The thread title says April 18th issue.

Yeah, but it's in teeny tiny print so I didn't see it. :whacked I'll go look again next week.

That was an awesome write-up. I actually have video of Rich at the liquigrip booth they described in the article. I happened to be walking by when I saw him playing with the cone. It's short but still nice to see. Here's the link:

Outstanding. We keep moving forward.

Thank you Richard Sorin and Sorinex.

I heard from ESPN saying to check the on line ESPN Conversations section and comments on the story "The legend of Big Rich". Many favorable replies and supportive comments. This will help grip and men like many of us that follow their own paths know there are some good things out there coming. There is a lot of talent on the Grip board I hope the the positive vibes continue from this article continue to showcase men among us with talent and moral conviction.RS

I heard from ESPN saying to check the on line ESPN Conversations section and comments on the story "The legend of Big Rich". Many favorable replies and supportive comments. This will help grip and men like many of us that follow their own paths know there are some good things out there coming. There is a lot of talent on the Grip board I hope the the positive vibes continue from this article continue to showcase men among us with talent and moral conviction.RS

Hey Richard, what's this "former grip master" business in the article!? :tongue

This article is really cool. I forwarded it to everyone I know. :D

What others have said, that was awesome and very well written! I enjoyed it very much.

I do find it hard to believe that Rich never knew he had very strong hands before being spotted by Tex moving dumbells by the ends. I can believe he didn't suspect he was the world's best at grip, but he must have been aware of his tremendous handstrength somehow!!

• 2 weeks later...
It doesn't really get better than that. Fantastic, good writing. Excellent. Five Stars!

I hated that article. Someone should have gotten together with that writer and made some facts correct. And how dare they call Richard a "former grip master"... it should be "legendary grip master".

I have had my time now I get to enjoy watching all you fellas do your thing.

The ESPN article has caused some interest... artists wanting to cast Rich's hand in bronze, many supportive calls and messages and just last night another TV station came by and interviewed and shot video for almost 3 hours.They planned on doing two segments. Good times ahead for grip.RS

Combined with a 6 page spread on a grip competition in the current issue of Men's Fitness (UK edition) I'd say it is.

Thats a nice write up, but is it right to say that Rich Williams has the strongest hands on the planet? or possibly the strongest hands in history? Admittedly he does have super strong hands and i'm not trying to take anything away from him. But there are a few others out there who could have this title applied to them. Its a shame that all the top guys couldn't compete together. Maybe one day.

Awesome exposure for the sport. I want to try to get a copy of this for my collection.

Jedd

Mr T grip. The Mighty Mitts contest WAS a who's who of grip for the past two years THE best were asked AND invited. Except perhaps for Mark Henry I personally have not seen hands stronger than Rich's. Brian Shaw is of "that" class but I haven't seen him directly involved in a grip contest other than a Rolling Thunder Championship where Mr. Felix dominated with 301. In a few side grip related trials Brian demonstrated great grip power which I saw him do.I think anything these three tried would be world class or record breaking even with minimal training. I would be interested for the record who you might suggest as being the TOP of the heap? In the many interviews I was privy to Rich never has named himself as being anything other than a man that loved God, his family and lifting. ESPN staff described him as to what they saw demonstrated here and at the Arnold's Mighty Mitts.RS

Thanks for the reply Richard, I'm not taking anything away from Rich (nor could I with his hands). Could you post a list of people that where invited? ?

There where some top guys there, but I think there were a lot of top guys not there. A few in my list would include, Chris James, Laine Snook, Nathan Holle , Sergey daragan. If these where there, I think the results would have been different.

I think its just not right that ESPN say he has the strongest hands on the planet. Like i said maybe one day, its certainly a step in the right direction. And well done to you for setting this up, Rich is lucky to able to train there with you and have access to your wonderful grip collection.

T, We have contacted most of those men personally AND openly on the Gripboard urging them or their friends and supporters to simply send in a bit of backround info.Paul Knight kindly sent us a "heads up" on Ross Love and he then sent us a reply. He (Ross) was included within a few days.In the Mitts we included National, and World champions in the roster as well as men of great respect and legend in the grip world we didn't know what more really to do. I have personally invited Mr. James to come forward via email messages and on the board. I do respect their wishes so that's as far as I chose to take it. I am all about grip and its growth...if there are better men or women out there I would love to see them come forth.RS

Your doing a great job for the sport of grip, Did Laine, Nathan or Sergey reply? I did not know you invited Chris James, it would have been even more amazing if he had attended. Hopefully one day we'll get all the best together. Maybe next year invites to all the top people and maybe some qualifiers.

I have even met people in airports (aka "little old ladies" that read that ESPN article !All good for grip. I did see another grip standout that we DID invite this year to Mighty Mitts but due to his coaching responsibilities in U Missouri kept him from competing. I have seen him(Pat Ivey) literally PLAY with the Inch replica toting it an estimated 100'(I saw it) at one coaches show and at this one this past weekend he made short work of our anvil trainer cone at 205lbs.This is the most ever done on this device. It was also used as a warmup item at the Arnold's MM and as side vendor sponsored event for a cash prize in the main exhibit hall. The cone was new and larger by a good bit than most anvil horns (including the 173 Jowett)Pat has an iron will and an outstanding grip, I would love to see him at the Mighty Mitts 2012. I still urge the "greats" out there to contact us and send some videos or fact sheet info of what they can do. We are not opposed to giving any legitimate standout an opportunity and or evaluation. One thing to remember "we" may at times feel like "entitled" beings but the world doesn't seem work that way from what I personally have found YOU have to go out there and just get after it. Encourage those strong ones to come forward!Many thanks! RS

I think the 'greats' who are sometimes not in the right crowd or most people favorites, get over looked or just not even mentioned, for instance you did not mention Laine Snook, Nathan Holle or Sergey Daragan (this is not to say you don't like them) but on the other hand I suppose they should put themselves forward. As you rightly say go out and get after it. My main point was we can't find out who is the best until we get them all competing. And what a contest it will be. But grip is still very young and again you (and others) are really doing a great job.