Fat Gripz To Axle Carry Over

BGally

Hey guys I am training for my first contest at the beginning of June. Double-overhand IM axle deadlift is one of the events, I have never deadlifted on an axle but I do use Fat Gripz for DO DLs.

I would like to know around what weight I can expect to DL on the axle come contest time?

I measured the FGs on the bar at my gym today, the circumference was 7 5/8". With ( D=C/pi ), the diameter turns out to be about 2.43".

With the axle being 2" thick with knurling how big of difference will that make?

This may help: I did 295 today with the FGs. My DO with no hook on reg bar is about 445. My mixed grip DL is 500+.

I hope to get to at least 315 with the fat gripz by June, and if I had to guess I would think it would be a 30-40lbs increase on the axle.

Durniat Strength Grip Challenge....I am driving about 5 1/2 hours from KY to attend. I am JUST starting to Pinch, it is going to be my worst event. I am good with grippers and I use a wrist roller. 2

http://www.durniatstrength.com/durniat-strength-grip-challenge-june-4-2011

I can lift about 25% more on my axle than on my fat gripz over an oly bar.

I have small (7") hands and have used the axle much longer than the fat gripz. I think that accounts for some of the performance difference.

About a 15% increase for me on the Axle compared to the Fat Gripz.

I measured my fatgripz and they are a little under 2.25" so i'm guessing they fit tightly around the bar and expand a little? Also I believe most axles have no knurling at all. The one used at mighty mitts does but im pretty sure most do not.

I measured my fatgripz and they are a little under 2.25" so i'm guessing they fit tightly around the bar and expand a little?

Correct. When placed around an oly bar the gap won't be completely closed. Mine are about 2 and a half inches on an oly bar.

Forgot about the link promotion rule, sorry

I measured my fatgripz and they are a little under 2.25" so i'm guessing they fit tightly around the bar and expand a little? Also I believe most axles have no knurling at all. The one used at mighty mitts does but im pretty sure most do not.

You are right about the knurling, thanks!

Edited by BGally

Well I tried them on olympic bars and dumbells and noticed that the dbs handle diameter vary a lot in my gym cause we have 3 different varieties. The big dbs (100-200's) handles are thicker and there was more than half an inch gap in the fat gripz. My best lift was the 130 db with each hand which is a little less than my best RT. I can also do ~300 on an axle. So 260ish vs 300

Well I tried them on olympic bars and dumbells and noticed that the dbs handle diameter vary a lot in my gym cause we have 3 different varieties. The big dbs (100-200's) handles are thicker and there was more than half an inch gap in the fat gripz. My best lift was the 130 db with each hand which is a little less than my best RT. I can also do ~300 on an axle. So 260ish vs 300

Thanks for the comparison Dan. I can get the 130s at my gym too, but I have to kind of hook my wrists or it becomes more of a pinch exercise with the FGs.

Do you like using chalk with the FGs? I find light chalk gives me the better grip. I like training with these things, DB rows are my favorite.

Also, can anyone give me any advice on a routine with thick bar deads? Right now, I just work up to a 1RM with very little static holding. I am training this twice a week right now. Would holds or reps work better for the other session in the week?

Thanks!

Bryan

The dbs are maybe 1/3/16 or so?

I find the fat gripz to be a good tool BUT, different than an axle type implement. For the contest I would say this:

figure out your fat gripz deadlift max. open with that or 10 pounds less. with time off for the comp you'll be sure to make that lift. then you can take more warm ups after that to get a better feel for the bar. with a mark on the board you'll have less pressure and be able to focus more on the lift. plus, with 4 attempts you do have a lot of room to play with. if you come in early, take a 20# jump and the rest at 10# you should be at your max or very close. trying to get a hard lift on your first attempt when you don't train on an axle is a recipe for disaster.

also, you can make a decent axle from 1.5 ID black pipe from home depot. I use screw collars for the inside and pony clamps for the outside. you could just slap some duct tape on the inside if you wanted. it's pretty cheap and will give you a much better idea of what an axle will feel like. usually you pull slightly less on a real axle than a 1.5 ID pipe since it's slightly smaller than 2".

brent