Ronnie Coleman Classic

Paul Knight

I think I'm gonna try my first AW tourny ...

I'll be competing in amateur of course, probably the 242 weight class as I'm ~230 right now. I'm starting training w/Geoff Engles next week on the table. We'll see how my elbow holds out.

I'll be competing in the grip contest that day too. Yikes!

Anyone else here going to the RCC this year to compete besides David Rue and maybe Mike Hann ... Big Nasty, you going?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• jad

• blueviper42

• mightyjoe

I feel sorry for your competition. One squeeze and their hands will explode. Hope that elbow stays healthy.

Paul, I wouldn't compete in the arm wrestling tournament with your past

history of elbow pain.

It could seriously hamper your grip training not to metion injuring your

elbow even further.

I would strongly reconsider. Even if you insist, you do not in any way

have the proper amount of time and training to condition your tendons and

ligaments for that kind of torque.

Believe me when I tell you that arm wrestling and grip training DO NOT mix

99% of the time and they are a world apart. You can crush BIG grippers all day

long and get killed at arm wrestling.

I would say this is just my 2 cents but it's not. I'm coming from years of

experience at the sport of arm wrestling of which I'm permanetly retired.

I would hate to see ALL you've gained at grip go down the drain from a single

match in arm wrestling.

wow mighty joe, never thought that could happen.

Parris

Paul - have you been pulling at all lately? I'm kind of with Joe on this if you haven't been practicing against other people - weight room strong is much different than pulling in a contest where you might have to pull several times at max effort in a few hours.

What Might Joe said seems right...

However, i also want to see Paul Knight on the arm wrestling table...(only if he is not gonna be injured)

It will be a news...big news to those who love both grip and arm wrestling.

For clarification, I'm not saying Paul should never try his hand at arm wrestling.

What I am saying is if he considers competing at least plan and prepare ahead of

time before even thinking about competing. You never know, Paul could eventually

become a Monster at arm wrestling just like he has at grip but at least go about

it correctly and reduce your risk of injury that would hamper or hault all your training,

grip or otherwise.

It takes a fair amount of time (6 months -2 years) to properly strengthen and condition ones tendons and

ligaments for arm wrestling. Your first 8-12 weeks will be mostly neural adaptations for

your tendons and ligaments without any increase in muscular hypertrophy.

One thing for sure is you won't get any stronger for the event in that short amount of time. If

anything you'll be weaker for the tournament.

You can call me Paul and we can discuss this in detail if you wish.

I'll help you any way I can no matter your decision. I just want to see you succeed

and not get injured from an already suspect elbow issue.

I pulled Paul after some training last time I was there and the man is strong. He's plenty ready so long as he can have a few practices. If he can get through an hour long practice and not have crippling elbow pain he'll be fine.

I would even venture a bet that Paul will get 1st place in the novice division EVEN IF perenial novices like Johnny Ordonne show up. Unless the grip training had me so worn out that I was completely useless what I felt was enough to overwhelm the class.

His technique is not the best, BUT it's not terrible. It's plenty fine to do a tournament.

I'd wager that if I entered the 242 novice I'd take 1st place both hands....and after what I felt after practice I'm not entirely sure I could beat Paul....so I'd say he's ready.

To Paul:

I'd say go to the tournament unless practice is unbearable for your elbow. Also rest at least 2 weeks before the event from table time and take a good 3 days off lifting. Do not doubt Paul's pulling strength, it's fine...only question here is whether or not his elbow hurts to an extreme degree after pulling.

Good luck at RCC Paul! I won't be there unfortunately.

I pulled Paul after some training last time I was there and the man is strong. He's plenty ready so long as he can have a few practices. If he can get through an hour long practice and not have crippling elbow pain he'll be fine.

I would even venture a bet that Paul will get 1st place in the novice division EVEN IF perenial novices like Johnny Ordonne show up. Unless the grip training had me so worn out that I was completely useless what I felt was enough to overwhelm the class.

His technique is not the best, BUT it's not terrible. It's plenty fine to do a tournament.

I'd wager that if I entered the 242 novice I'd take 1st place both hands....and after what I felt after practice I'm not entirely sure I could beat Paul....so I'd say he's ready.

To Paul:

I'd say go to the tournament unless practice is unbearable for your elbow. Also rest at least 2 weeks before the event from table time and take a good 3 days off lifting. Do not doubt Paul's pulling strength, it's fine...only question here is whether or not his elbow hurts to an extreme degree after pulling.

that's my plan ... to see how training goes and make a final decision ... I think I will be fine though. I'm very aware of my elbow so I will be paying close attention and I've learned over the past couple of years when to quit so that I don't completly flare up my elbow. I'm doing it for fun which is all that matters.

Mike,

you better have a GOOD reason why you won't be there :dry haha

Paul - have you been pulling at all lately? I'm kind of with Joe on this if you haven't been practicing against other people - weight room strong is much different than pulling in a contest where you might have to pull several times at max effort in a few hours.

I haven't but we are still almost 2 months out ... I know that's not long at all but I will be training w/Geoff until then ... besides if my elbow starts hurting bad during the tourny, I will just back out and focus on the grip comp ... no big deal

To Paul:

Mike, I'm not questioning Paul's strength. I'm questioning his foundation for arm wrestling.

I've seen many newcomers to the sport come in and wipe out there class and 2 days later

they go to the gym to train and WHAMMO! They're injured! Guess why?

If there's one sport where you can't ignore proper foundation and preperation, arm wrestling

wins hands down.

Yes, Paul could possibly go in there and sweep the class but he could also get his arm (elbow)

handed to him with just one wrong move under force at the right angle.

Risky to me but Paul knows his limits better than anyone.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I'll be there to get some pics of his first match.

Joe, I agree with the points you make. But what makes you think that any of the other novices are any better prepared than Paul? If the only people that competed were people who had practiced for 1-2 years, the novice and majority of amateur classes would vanish. I competed my first tournament with no real practice or instruction and I didn't wreck anything. But, as we know, it is different with Paul, because he is a top grip athlete, and doing anything to risk injury has to be evaluated. His strength level also poses a problem, because improperly applying his amount of strength can lead to injury.

However, I'm of the opinion that two months of practice should adequately prepare him for a novice class. Although how competing in armwrestling will effect his performance in the grip competition is another story.

Edited by thewalrus

Looking forward to seeing the Paul Knight Show on the table! If you're worried about the elbow, try pulling in a posting top roll. It's pretty easy on it compared to other moves. With this move, regarding your elbow, just be wary of a press. If someone throws a flopped wrist press on you and your wrist isn't locked like a front lever, it puts a TREMENDOUS amt of pressure on your elbow. The key is keeping your wrist locked (like a front lever) because if it's not, you can still feel like you have total hand control but the pressure on your elbow with increase dramatically and there's a good chance you'll pop your MCL. You can play with it with bands and see what I'm talking about or I'm sure Joe could show you in 10 sec.

Joe, I agree with the points you make. But what makes you think that any of the other novices are any better prepared than Paul? If the only people that competed were people who had practiced for 1-2 years, the novice and majority of amateur classes would vanish. I competed my first tournament with no real practice or instruction and I didn't wreck anything. But, as we know, it is different with Paul, because he is a top grip athlete, and doing anything to risk injury has to be evaluated. His strength level also poses a problem, because improperly applying his amount of strength can lead to injury.

However, I'm of the opinion that two months of practice should adequately prepare him for a novice class. Although how competing in armwrestling will effect his performance in the grip competition is another story.

Well taken David.

Few points here:

1) I would say a large percentage of the novice competitors are not prepared properly.

It is also the novice class that most ill-prepared competitors leave the sport because of

an injury or chronic tendonitis. Also, there has not always been a novice class. Relatively

new compared to how long the sport has been around. Novice class or not your preperation makes

or breaks you in the sport of arm wrestling. You failed to mention you're a very rare athlete

that can cross train different sports with arm wrestling without problems. Most cannot.

2) I would debate the claim that 2 months is enough preparation to develop the tendons

and ligaments for arm wrestling in ANY class. Not to mention (as you well know)the novice classes

are not so novice any longer due to a lack of rules and definitions for said class. I've seen

novices smoke some pro class competitors.

3) I would argue that Paul would actually be weaker with less than 2 months of training.

I'm talking about developing tendon strength not muscular strength. Although most improvements

muscular wise would be neural in nature anyway without any increase in CSA of muscle fibers. The neural

adaptations would allow more motor unit recruitment of said fibers with nearly zero increase in tendon

strength (density). This is due to the biological makeup of a tendon versus a muscle. Just doesn't work the same.

Time (3 to 1) to develop being the main factor.

See you there David.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Paul tried to con me into the arm wrestling so I would be worn out for the grip events haha...

hahaha.... I tried....

okay .. what Joe said and I just talked to Geoff and he said the same thing ... that some of the novice guys shouldn't be competing in the novice class and that thay are REAL good. Crap! now I'm thinking I could get injured ... screw it ... man up! just don't expect fireworks

Paul, don't do it. You might get your feelings hurt and run home crying. :cry:cry:cry:upsidedwn

I think as long as Pual is not trying achieve something great in his first aw tourney, he will be fine. I saw a picture that he was also an MMA fighter, I believe he knows when he is ready or when he should wait.

I think as long as Pual is not trying achieve something great in his first aw tourney, he will be fine. I saw a picture that he was also an MMA fighter, I believe he knows when he is ready or when he should wait.

Most anyone new to arm wrestling THINKS they're ready

until the next workout after the tournament. LOL!!!

Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit."

No different in arm wrestling. Just a different type of hit.

One thing for sure. We will SOON find out how Paul fairs during

and after. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing the Paul Knight Show on the table! If you're worried about the elbow, try pulling in a posting top roll. It's pretty easy on it compared to other moves. With this move, regarding your elbow, just be wary of a press. If someone throws a flopped wrist press on you and your wrist isn't locked like a front lever, it puts a TREMENDOUS amt of pressure on your elbow. The key is keeping your wrist locked (like a front lever) because if it's not, you can still feel like you have total hand control but the pressure on your elbow with increase dramatically and there's a good chance you'll pop your MCL. You can play with it with bands and see what I'm talking about or I'm sure Joe could show you in 10 sec.

I am a top roller (I discovered today) ... I had my first real pulling session and I felt great! I am very happy with how I did. According to the guys I armwrestled with today, they said I should do very good.

Josh, you nailed it. When I top rolled, I had little to no pain in my elbow, but whenever I got caught in a hook, I could immediatly feel stress in my elbow. As long as I pull w/a top roll, I think my elbow should be good. Besides I'm 3 times as strong in a top roll. I'm excited.

we pulled for probably 2 hours off and on ... my elbow feels a little squirly, but not to bad considering. However, I'll have to see how it feels in 3 days or so, cause that's usually when the pain starts kicking in. I guess we'll see

Glad to hear it's working for you! I think you'll do well with your hand and wrist strength. Unless some insecure pro pulls novice I'll predict you win your class. Here's a video demononstrating the bad position I was talking about with my other post. The guy on the right (Shane) does exactly what you DON'T want to do/what I was warning about. BTW, he confirmed later he tore up his elbow. The ligiament ripped a piece of bone off and he's out for awhile. Notice how he looks like he's in total control but from a front lever standpoint you can see his wrist is actually flopped. That's when the pressure starts and bad things happen. I've done this once to each elbow (not sure if it was MCL tear or small fracture like Shane) but the left took about 9 months before I could get back on the table and the right a good 3. You'll still feel like your in total control and very comfortable and then it will just pop. Keep your wrist locked if someone is pressing you, if you can't, I'd just lay down or maybe slip, especially with your elbow.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ozark4ever#p/a/u/2/9tmZ3tMMMaY

Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit."

Any time someone works in a Mike Tyson quote, you know it's going to be a good post. :cool

Glad to hear it's working for you! I think you'll do well with your hand and wrist strength. Unless some insecure pro pulls novice I'll predict you win your class. Here's a video demononstrating the bad position I was talking about with my other post. The guy on the right (Shane) does exactly what you DON'T want to do/what I was warning about. BTW, he confirmed later he tore up his elbow. The ligiament ripped a piece of bone off and he's out for awhile. Notice how he looks like he's in total control but from a front lever standpoint you can see his wrist is actually flopped. That's when the pressure starts and bad things happen. I've done this once to each elbow (not sure if it was MCL tear or small fracture like Shane) but the left took about 9 months before I could get back on the table and the right a good 3. You'll still feel like your in total control and very comfortable and then it will just pop. Keep your wrist locked if someone is pressing you, if you can't, I'd just lay down or maybe slip, especially with your elbow.

http://www.youtube.c...u/2/9tmZ3tMMMaY

so what do you do what someone does the flopped wrist press? ... do you know of another video where someone beats that technique? Thanks in advance

BTW ... anyone else from the GB going besides Joe?

David, I can't remember ... did you say you were going?