Newbie questions

Guest CrazyCarl95

Guest CrazyCarl95

Being new to the world of grip training I have a few questions.

1)  When using the CoC Grippers can I use chalk?  

2)  How do you get certified for the #3?

3)  I closed the #2 right out of the bag with my right hand, but am no where close with my left.  Do you guys modify your training for your different hands?  My ultimate goal of course is to close the #3, but the main reason I am grip training is to help my athletic performance.

4)  When trying to pinch grip plates together the slip apart, does this mean that my grip is just too weak or should I get some sort of a pipe to hook them together?

I know it will be awhile before I close the #3, and I have had great short term success as most do.

Thanks guys, this looks like a great source of info.

1. yes.

2. See the FAQ section on this board.

3. No, train them equally.

4. Probably? Or they are not lined up.

Regarding question 4 about plates slipping, it is true that pinch-gripping is easier if you secure the plates with a bar and collars, because then the weight resembles more of a solid block of iron than a handful of moveable objects.  So, this may overcome your initial difficulties and get you to where you can lift the plates without the bar.  This is especially noticeable if you are trying more than two plates.  Frankly, if you can close a #2, it's hard to imagine that this gives you trouble.  Sounds like good work to me.

Guest CrazyCarl95

I am really terrible at farmer's walk and pinching plates together, but for some reason I am ok at closing the grippers.  Maybe somehow I figured out where to put my hand that really works for me.

Thanks for the info guys.