My Search For An Inch Dumbbell...

Jaz

HAHA! OH MAN. Things fell into place PERFECTLY!!!!! Its done! The whole dumbbell is finished, and pretty and SITTING IN MY GARAGE!

K so this morning me and my dad went to the metal place. Saw the huge 15 foot length of round stock, 7in thick. After some searching we got the mild steel in 6.3 inch lengths , 2 of them. Then i look for a handle (which the lady said she didint have) and i find a perfect piece of mild steel that is 2 and 3/8 wide! I get a 7 inch long piece of this. So me and my dad go and eat/fool around for an hour while the guy cuts all the steel. We go back, and i pay 225$ for the lot of it. Then i learn that to my great luck the handle isnt actually 2 and 3/8ths its 2 and 7/16ths like i wanted all along! Earlier my dad had asked if there were any machinists who could bore a hole into the peices so that the handle could be inserted. She mentions that RIGHT NEXT DOOR there is a machinist. So we pick up the steel and get it into the van and then head next door. So i mention to the guy what i need done (THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS AND YOUR HELP!!!) and ask if he can drill two holes into the pieces of metal so that the handle ive got with me in the shop can slide in. We take the guy out to the van to see this evil dumbbell, his jaw drops. He thinks im going to be bicep curling this weight LOL! Of course a typical response from someone who only uses dumbbells for one thing lol. He tells me he can make the holes, only 90 dollars!!! So we haul the metal in, and then as were about to leave my dad asks if theres any place we might get it welded (cuz my uncle lives 3 hours away) and the guy looks at it for a sec and then mentions that it would only take around 5mins for him to weld the thing together. Of course we ask how much extra this will be........... NOTHING, he welded it for FREE!! So im expecting to pick it up tommorrow, then in my chemistry lab i get a call. Of course i couldnt answer the phone but i called my dad afterwords and sure enough the thing is done. Somehow i convince my dad to drive back and pick me up from school and then go pick up the dumbbell.

ITS GORGEOUS! Man i saw the thing and nearly giggled like a little school girl. The guy had gone above and beyond the call of duty. The thing was all sharp and rusted before, the handle was greasy etc. He rounded the edges, buffed the handle til it shone, all the grease gone. He removed the outer coating of rust with some machine and now its got faint machining lines on the nice silver surface. I got PICS TOO!

I think i might call it the angel cuz its so darn pretty! Oh and it weighs 2 pounds short of my mark, 148lb. The relatively light weight also promted the "angel" name. Anyone have any other name ideas?

(i wish i could put the pics right on here)

As innocent as a newborn!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/Shynx/_DSC0001.jpg

Her new home! (Thats right my garage/gym has carpets! and a couch and tv! -dad built it, never uses it lol)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/Shynx/DSC_00022.jpg

Me pretending that i can give it some air time.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/Shynx/DSC_0005.jpg

Me looking not so nice, but shes still looks great!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/Shynx/DSC_0007.jpg

Edited by Jaz

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaz

• mobsterone

• maidenfan

• The Mac

That is awesome :rock

Heh, start to finish all in one topic!

I should copy and paste and make a novel.

Thanks for all your help guys. Those dimensions are rock solid, and inch into both of the big pieces, 5 inch handle. etc.

I was planning on putting it in my room so that i could make attempts at it every morning etc.

Once i get it into my room (upstairs) i think ill have broken the door from teen into manhood HAHA. (my parents would get so mad lol, theyd never be able to move it tho)

I want to try leaving it in a public place, maybe in the gym at the university, and covertly video taping all the guy who like myself would just HAVE to touch the thing. See if anyone can give it air time.

Edited by Jaz

Nice dumbbell :rock Your forearms not bad either!

Yes, you didn't mess around, you got er done, great work, she's a beauty! :cool

John, would you say his forearms are like bowling pins? ;) They are impressive for sure. :rock

Edited by odin

Yes, you didn't mess around, you got er done, great work, she's a beauty! :cool

John, would you say his forearms are like bowling pins? ;) They are impressive for sure. :rock

Haha. man some of the guys on here have ridiculously muscular forearms.

I know it sounds like a broken record, but nice job! It turned out well.

Thanks man. No worries. The thanks goes to the people who made it tho. And you guys for giving me the right dimensions and stuff.

Turned out great! Now you know how to make your own dumbells vs. buying the crap thats out there. I dont mind the rust, but you can clear coat it to prevent that - I probably would (maybe not the handle) as yours turned out looking pretty nice and i'd like to keep it that way.

So, in the end, the total cost was $315 not including Gas/time to go and put it together? That's a bargain for that beauty. But it is instructive to remember that you got a little bit of work done for free, you would have been charged for the shipping AND you still haven't actually ended up with a 172lb Globe Dumbell.

I know it sounds like a broken record, but nice job! It turned out well.

Thanks man. No worries. The thanks goes to the people who made it tho. And you guys for giving me the right dimensions and stuff.

By the way im in Calgary if anyone wants to try and lift it.

So, in the end, the total cost was $315 not including Gas/time to go and put it together? That's a bargain for that beauty. But it is instructive to remember that you got a little bit of work done for free, you would have been charged for the shipping AND you still haven't actually ended up with a 172lb Globe Dumbell.

Ya but I didn't want to have it 172 lb. I could have made it that way, but you cant remove weight from this kind of bell, so if i make it lighter i can always add weight to it.And true it isn't a globe dumbbell. I honestly dont think the physics of a globe bell vs what i have is much different.

Turned out great! Now you know how to make your own dumbells vs. buying the crap thats out there. I dont mind the rust, but you can clear coat it to prevent that - I probably would (maybe not the handle) as yours turned out looking pretty nice and i'd like to keep it that way.

Thats definately a good idea. Do you mean put like a clear finish on it? What exactly is clear coat? ( i mean is it specifically for rust prevention)

Quite agree that there is little difference (though some) - I was merely commenting on the cost.

In any case, you did a good job getting it all put together.

By the way im in Calgary if anyone wants to try and lift it.

Oh, so are you throwing down a challenge to us?? Ah o.k., I'll be up there and give it a go... ;):happy

That is a beautiful bell man!

Ya but I didn't want to have it 172 lb. I could have made it that way, but you cant remove weight from this kind of bell, so if i make it lighter i can always add weight to it.And true it isn't a globe dumbbell. I honestly dont think the physics of a globe bell vs what i have is much different.

Thats definately a good idea. Do you mean put like a clear finish on it? What exactly is clear coat? ( i mean is it specifically for rust prevention)

A clear coat is basically spraying it with an automotive paint. It doesn't necessarily have to be clear. You could of course just get yourself a bunch of linseed oil, generously coat the bell and not have to worry about rust for a good long while. This is all assuming you care if it gets rusted up of course :D

For those of you interested I just talked to Steve at Slater's Hardware and he told me that they are close to selling a Inch DB. not sure of the price or time table;)

• 1 month later...
... I just talked to Steve at Slater's Hardware and he told me that they are close to selling a Inch DB.

Are you kidding... this is GREAT news! Man, I've been wanting an Inch DB since Custer's been in the saddle!! :) Oh, happy happy day!!! :D