Gripper form

Guest Wolffish1

Guest Wolffish1

There has been talk here that proper form in gripping grippers can be a large factor in overcoming various grippers.

What is the proper form for using a gripper? It probably sounds stupid but can it be explained without actually seeing it.

I have the trainer and some days I could close it for 10 reps and some days I can't get it closed once.

Could there be a tiny difference in form that I am missing that is the critical factor in steadily progressing with these grippers?  ???

Thank you

Guest kINGPIN

Enough has been written on form in past posts so I won't go there.  One thing I will say is, when you can close it, think what you did different that helped you.  then next time try to reccreate everything you did right to the last detail.  

The only time I can close my #2 is after I have been training with my nunchucks and it has to be in the evening.  So now thats the only time I train with my grippers.  You would not believe how many lightbulbs I have broken!  :D

Proper form is a very personal thing with grippers. Its more like a skill you need to learn and recreate unlike for example squatting where there are some very important rules you need to follow AND the skill you need to learn. The only thing you need to look at is the gripper. The one side of the spring looks like it has a tighter bend than the other (dog leg). This side should be palm side. If you need any more info just run a search.  ;)

Guest Luke Reimer

I think there are rules, at least two of them:

1. Grip as far from the spring as possible (this is the one that gets addressed the most). Just don't be too greedy for distance from the spring, your your pinky will slip right off the end of its handle and become a non contributer.

2. Anchor the the near handle of the gripper as far out (distally) on your palm as possible. Too far and your fingers won't even be able to reach around the other handle, but you may be able to compensate for this by positioning the finger-side handle with your other hand.

Once you become comfortable with a style that implements these rules optimally for your hand, you will 1) be encountering the least possible resistance from the spring and 2) generating the most power from your hand (the fingers pull better towards their bases than across the palm).

Good luck!

Sometimes you don't have the luxury of picking which side of the gripper to work on.  Working with the grippers is fine - as for me, I wasted a whole bunch of pictures trying to get that "just right" pic of me closing the #3.  They came out great.... except for one small detail.  The "#3" stamp on the end of the gripper was obliterated by my palm, so you couldn't tell what number the gripper was.  It was my fault, since I turned the gripper around where it was comfortable for me.  I didn't realize it might hide the end stamp on the gripper.  Result: a whole roll of film wasted - back to the drawing board!  :)

Guest Luke Reimer

Sybersnott,

True enough! I discovered this too, the necessity of having the handle end with the numeral on the side of the fingers. Else the hand gets in the way of the picture, yes.

Sometimes you don't have the luxury of picking which side of the gripper to work on.  Working with the grippers is fine - as for me, I wasted a whole bunch of pictures trying to get that "just right" pic of me closing the #3.  They came out great.... except for one small detail.  The "#3" stamp on the end of the gripper was obliterated by my palm, so you couldn't tell what number the gripper was.  It was my fault, since I turned the gripper around where it was comfortable for me.  I didn't realize it might hide the end stamp on the gripper.  Result: a whole roll of film wasted - back to the drawing board!  :)

Been there, done that!

One thing I recommend if you are getting close to closing a #3 is fiddling with pictures using a #2 or #1 since lighting, camera, person taking the pic, etc. are all factors.  This works out some of the kinks before the #3 comes along. :)

WannaGrip,

These were BEAUTIFUL pics of me closing a #3 gripper - but since no number stamp, you could argue I closed any old gripper!  Man was I mad!!  I'll get it right with the next roll of film!!  Thanks for those tips.  :)