Rolling Thunder Tips?

Rocketman248

I got the new Rolling Thunder the other day. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I plan on trying it out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips for it's use? Are there any good workouts for it, or just singles? Noob question, I know. :blush

Also, I have no idea where my max is right now. Where were some of you when you started using it?

Thanks

Well how about that. It's pinned and everything. :trout

On other forums, I always tell people to use the search function. I should follow my own advice one day.

Thanks!

Check my log for what I've been doing recently. On youtube, using an older handle, try 140-kilos (308lbs) in plates and in training I've pulled 135-kilos in plates for 3 x 1 reps. I'm on fire on it at the mo.

I'd read all the pinned stuff first. But you could also learn a bit from guys like me who started around 125lbs on it and eventually worked up to the 220lb mark over a long period of training.

To get good at the RT you've got to spend some time training with it. Would seem to be common sense, but there are many guys who profess to want to get stronger on the RT, yet they only train it once a week.

Load up a weight that's 80%-90% of your current max and sit it outside your bathroom. Every time you go to the bathroom attempt that weight. On your way in and out. That's 2 attempts probably 3 or 4 times a day. And they're attempts at a solid weight, not a super low weight that's not going to do you any good. This works.

The last tip I'd recommend is using the "water trick." Get your hands wet and then briskly rub them together until all the moisture is gone and they have that "tacky" feeling. That's when you want to attempt your RT pulls.

Progression: When you get 3-5 good pulls per day on a certain weight, you could increase the weight a pound or two. Keep repeating this process and you'll soon be pulling your previous max several times throughout the day.

I'd read all the pinned stuff first. But you could also learn a bit from guys like me who started around 125lbs on it and eventually worked up to the 220lb mark over a long period of training.

To get good at the RT you've got to spend some time training with it. Would seem to be common sense, but there are many guys who profess to want to get stronger on the RT, yet they only train it once a week.

Load up a weight that's 80%-90% of your current max and sit it outside your bathroom. Every time you go to the bathroom attempt that weight. On your way in and out. That's 2 attempts probably 3 or 4 times a day. And they're attempts at a solid weight, not a super low weight that's not going to do you any good. This works.

The last tip I'd recommend is using the "water trick." Get your hands wet and then briskly rub them together until all the moisture is gone and they have that "tacky" feeling. That's when you want to attempt your RT pulls.

Progression: When you get 3-5 good pulls per day on a certain weight, you could increase the weight a pound or two. Keep repeating this process and you'll soon be pulling your previous max several times throughout the day.

Great tips here. That sounds great.

Ben knows what he is talking about - that water trick ain't no joke. You MUST have clean hands for good solid RT training. Chalk will KILL your numbers.

Ben knows what he is talking about - that water trick ain't no joke. You MUST have clean hands for good solid RT training. Chalk will KILL your numbers.

^ Yep. Clean the handle good, too.

Ben

I have been following your advice with RT for a few months of training. Tonight was the first time i tried the "Water trick" (i had no idea about that until very recently) and got a all time PR of 202. Thanks for posting all the help with this.

Steve that is an unreal pull! That puts you to being top three in the world with a RT correct?

I get in trouble with my wife if I leave a towel outside of the bathroom and you get to leave a fully loaded RT? :blink I already knew Carrie was awesome but this has just further cemented her legacy :D:rock

I get in trouble with my wife if I leave a towel outside of the bathroom and you get to leave a fully loaded RT? :blink I already knew Carrie was awesome but this has just further cemented her legacy :D:rock

It's true, haha! She even encourages me to take a shot at it even when I'm not necessarily ready for it. I haven't been training it like a madman, but I have gotten about an inch of air under 230lbs according to her. But I couldn't feel it moving.

As per the stickie a little to dry the hands only is ok. I advise rubbing it in extremely well and esp. on the thumb.

Ben

I have been following your advice with RT for a few months of training. Tonight was the first time i tried the "Water trick" (i had no idea about that until very recently) and got a all time PR of 202. Thanks for posting all the help with this.

Steve that is an unreal pull! That puts you to being top three in the world with a RT correct?

I think it'd be, if it was on a new handle, top. The video I did on youtube was literally a 'lets see where I am on this lift' after not having maxed out on it or used the older handle for 5 months. In those 5 months I'd pulled just a few reps only a few weeks before high pulling 176+ in weights (half upright rowing it) on a newer handle. I'd done no other training on it at all.

Went from 170-180 to 260 using a variety of training methods. Used singles at first, got me to around 225 and stalled. High reps (10-20) got me the strongest the quickest. Pat Gansel wrote a program that I gained REALLY fast on, you'd have to search for it though, I didn't save it.

dude i don't even know what to suggest. We usually just load it up and pull it but the water trick makes sense.

Ryan Johnson has overcome average genetics and overall poor body strength in his search for a big RT. His training tips are:

1) Drive to Eric's.

2) Put down cigar.

3) Put down beer.

4) Go for a huge max single and get it.

5) Repeat 4) three or so times.

6) Drive home drunk.

:D

-Rex

dude i don't even know what to suggest. We usually just load it up and pull it but the water trick makes sense.

Ryan Johnson has overcome average genetics and overall poor body strength in his search for a big RT. His training tips are:

1) Drive to Eric's.

2) Put down cigar.

3) Put down beer.

4) Go for a huge max single and get it.

5) Repeat 4) three or so times.

6) Drive home drunk.

:D

-Rex

:laugh yep - that about sums it up - I was even thinking about picking up cigar smoking to help with my thickbar :laugh

here's Ryan pulling a little over 200 on the NEW Rolling Thunder handle at my house:

6) Drive home drunk.
THIS is what you want to teach the novices?

no - guys just getting into this: do not drink and drive - alcohol does not help your grip strength, it hurts it

Don't drive anywhere with Paul in your car or you will get puleld over and have to do a sobriety test.

Any other tips re: the new model RT?

The handle shown in that video is the new, new handle. I had the original new handle - first one off the line - and I know some others had one too. It was considerably more difficult to lift. In our family test - top lift was 205 vs 300 the same day with an old well seasoned handle. If the outside edge of the endcap has a radius on it (smoothed service) you have what I think is the final "new" design. If you have one that is sharp it is the "prototype new" design. You can also tell if the plastic is greasy - you have a prototype - if it feels normal it is a new one. I'm not sure when IM started shipping this improved version but apparently you got one Paul. I would only rate this one as a little harder than the old style handle primarily because it spins very freely. The surface on the handle actually feels very good to me - maybe even better than the old ones - and takes chalk well unlike the old style (don't know that the water trick applies anymore). Now that the bugs are worked out I think everyone will like this new design - it is a huge improvement over the old one.

Wade

The handle shown in that video is the new, new handle. I had the original new handle - first one off the line - and I know some others had one too. It was considerably more difficult to lift. In our family test - top lift was 205 vs 300 the same day with an old well seasoned handle. If the outside edge of the endcap has a radius on it (smoothed service) you have what I think is the final "new" design. If you have one that is sharp it is the "prototype new" design. You can also tell if the plastic is greasy - you have a prototype - if it feels normal it is a new one. I'm not sure when IM started shipping this improved version but apparently you got one Paul. I would only rate this one as a little harder than the old style handle primarily because it spins very freely. The surface on the handle actually feels very good to me - maybe even better than the old ones - and takes chalk well unlike the old style (don't know that the water trick applies anymore). Now that the bugs are worked out I think everyone will like this new design - it is a huge improvement over the old one.

Wade

Are you going to leave the GNC Grip Gauntlet weights the same?

Wade

Wade, on the prototype does the handle have a "turned" surface? kind of grooved - in other words, if you took your finger nail and sratched the surface from one end of the handle to the other, you could feel and hear the grooves. This is how the new, new RT is - is that like yours?

Wade

Wade, on the prototype does the handle have a "turned" surface? kind of grooved - in other words, if you took your finger nail and sratched the surface from one end of the handle to the other, you could feel and hear the grooves. This is how the new, new RT is - is that like yours?

Yes, both have this but much more pronounced on the "prototype". Main thing with the prototype is the plastic was kind of soft - flexible - you could clamp down on it and get it to deflect some. But the surface was like grease - especially with chalk. Not slippery - greasy.

Wade

Yes, both have this but much more pronounced on the "prototype". Main thing with the prototype is the plastic was kind of soft - flexible - you could clamp down on it and get it to deflect some. But the surface was like grease - especially with chalk. Not slippery - greasy.

I'm lifting about 45lbs less on the new handle versus the old handle