Grip in Movies

Guest JimT

I was watching a movie last night with the actor from Death Wish (I think his name was Charles Bronson) where he played an assassin training a new recruit (anyone know the name of this movie?)... during one scene, to demonstrate his hand strength, he put his last two fingers into a narrow glass and then broke it by spreading his fingers... It was a cool scene for a hand strength fanatic, and it made me think of other movies that I liked for scenes involving hand strength and hand training.

One of my favorites was "Master Killer"(aka Enter the 36th Chamber) where the hero goes through a series of training regimens, including the "wrist room" where he had to ring a huge bell with a hammer on the end of a long pole and he could only grip the pole at the very end... It looked brutal, and for someone who trains for leverage, you can feel a little of his pain...

What other scenes from movies have you enjoyed or thought were cool because of your grip training/interest?

Thought this might make a good light topic... maybe i'll find out some that I haven't seen

Jim

An orangutan in a Clint Eastwood movie is shown bending some sort of railing in a honky-tonk.

There was a movie or an episode of a TV series that had one fight scene in which the smaller guy turns the fight to his favor by using slip-joint pliers.

In literature, _Beowulf_ and _The Sea-Wolf_ mention gripping feats.

Mine was gonna be Death Wish.  Another is the movie Exit Wounds, there's this huge Samoan(sp?) dude who grabs a liquor bottle and squeezes it till it busts.  I figure this would be pretty hard.  Looks cool as ####. :)  

Then there's the classic arm bender...Over the Top  Lincolon Hawk and Bull Hurley....AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!! :)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Also,There eas a show on a few years ago called "WISEGUY".  In one of the small mini series they had ,the "bad guy" had a guy that worked for him that would shot a marble out of his hand with his thumb,and stick it in the wall. I know ,far fetched, but still .

Guest kINGPIN

Dos'nt anyone remember the Van Damne film 'DOUBLE IMPACT'?  When he is in a fight in the club of a triad boss when he drinks a shot out of a glass and then brakes it using a crushing grip..... good stuff.

Sweet!  "The Mechanic"... I'll have to rent it, because I turned it off when he went to Italy as it was getting late...

I just thought of another one... In one of the James Bond movies, a bad guy's strong arm man takes a pair of loaded dice from a backgammon table and crushes them to dust while giving Bond the evil eye... That was a cool scene...

kINGPIN - That scene from Double Impact was the highlight of the movie!  It's going along as pretty much a standard action movie, then suddenly it switches to a cinematic slowmo to show VD crush the glass - I wish the rest of the movie had been that cool!

Guest Must crush

Beowulf was famous for his grip; he eventually tears off Grendel's arm with his bare hands.

In the film "The 9th Configuration," IIRC, there's a scene in which a biker is holding onto a shot glass, and the hero grabs the biker's hand (glass and all) and squeezes it until the shot glass explodes. :o Ow, ow, ow.

Guest kINGPIN

Funny this topic should come up.  A film I was watching a few minutes ago showed a bloke burst a tennis ball.  That would be quite a feat!

I have to agree with you on that Jim.  I forgot, the scene was a slowmo, definatly one of the best scenes in the film along with that blonde woman and that evil woman with the strong thighs (Cory Everson) , ####, I would hate to have them wrapped around my neck. :)

Just thought of another one - - In the original Terminator - a huge bouncer tries to stop Arnold from entering a nightclub, where Linda Hamilton is trying to hide, by grabbing his shoulder... Arnold just casually grabs his hand, crushes it, and keeps walking... cool scene  - - but maybe it doesn't qualify, 'cause he was a robot and all :)

P.S.  I just got my #3 in the mail - - WOW!  big difference from the #2 - - I am definitely going to get my money's worth out of this one!   OUCH!

In T2, the Terminator crushes a biker's hand early in the movie. There is another scene later on where he front raises a man off the ground by gripping a fist full of hair.

Though not exactly a super-human feat of hand strength, steering a motorcycle at high speed with one hand while operating a lever-action shotgun in the other looked pretty cool.

Guest todd_xxxx

I've seen several movies where someone grabs a pool ball (its almost always the cue ball, oddly enough) and crushes it to dust.  Man, I wish I could do that.  I'd never have to pay for another beer......

Guest kINGPIN

Another one that swings to mind (if you'll excuse the pun) is Stallone hanging one handed from a horizontal cliff face at the start of the film 'Cliffhanger'.

Guest woody36

This isn't technically about films nor grip per se but!

i was watching a programme awhile ago about

"Ed Sullivan",showing clips from over the years.

And in one segment it showed the great Gene Kelly,

in a display of his strength.He stood slightly splay-

legged behind Mr Sullivan and placed his hands on his

hips as though to pick him up,Mr Sullivan then placed

his hands behind him onto Gene's wrists.

He then asked Mr Sullivan if he was ready,and picked

him off the floor in a partial hammer curl about six

inches off the floor,then he passed him down in a

gentle swoop between his legs resting him perfectly

horizontal about six inches off the floor where he held

him for a few seconds. Then with no more effort than

if he had been picking up a paper bag he swung him

back into the upright position,only there was no momentum just a casual graceful lift.

I sat thinking about what i'd seen for a long time,and

with a new respect for someone who already is a

Legend.Throughout the entire feat he never grasped

his clothing,his hands remained open on his hips and

he made it look like the simplest of tasks.

Like i say nothing much to do with the Gripboard,

but one of them moments when you knew you'd

witnessed something special.

I believe the movie was called "The replacement Killers" and it features a scene where Mira Sorvino throws an ashtray at Chow Yun Fat and he catches it and then crushes it to dust.  This was an awesome scene.

worst grip moment:

in cliffhanger at the begining, when stallone can't hold on to the chick and she falls to her death...don't let this happen to you, chicks are a terrible thing to waste...

Guest woody36

AP, does this rule apply if the chick in question

is Roseanne Barr, or should we look at this from

the point of view that it'll really help the Grip?

Ha...

sounds much tougher than the inch dumbell...

and of course you have to deal with the "why arnt you rescuing me faster!!" nagging voice...

Guest kINGPIN

You are right, he could hold his own weight with one hand and yet could'nt save the lady, although if I remember right it was the gloves fault.  As for Rosanne Barr......let her drop, just make sure you are out of the way when she bounces back up! :)