• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jose Jara

• Florian Kellersmann

• burkhardmacht

• Martin_Arildsson

Thanks for opening this thread David!

Hopefully there's a lot of interest in organizing this competition - but it should not be a problem because there are several countries who have potential competitors and did not organize the Euros until now. England, Finland and Spain come to my mind (in no special order)!

Thank you Jose for your offer to put on this contest, and I'm sure it would be a wonderful time coming to Madrid. Let us see if anyone else is interested (Finland?), before we ask any more details and put it to the vote.

David

We are willing to organize the Euros 2010, as Hacu said. Organizing the Euros every other year is a great idea. Then every competitors have opportunity to participate where he/she want. Too many competitions in one year, gives too much stress to competitor and that should be avoid.

Spain or Finland is fine with me :)

Hrmm.... it's hard to choose... Nice weather and the beach, or alot of f*ckin' trees and booze? :P

Thanks to both Spain and Finland.

We (each country with a grip contest) can now vote for the country to host the 2010 European Grip Champs.

UK (David Horne & Steve Gardener)

Sweden

Germany

Switzerland

Spain

Finland

If each country above can nominate someone for the vote (put the name forward below). If you have more than one name, you can just vote between yourselves for the result.

Can Finland please tell us which town the contest would be run in?

Also can both countries tell us the nearest airports, and the availabilty of accomodation near to the venue?

Thanks

For Germany both - Finland or Spain - would be fine! Hopefully we don't need a voting for this decision! I would be glad if the Spanish and Finnish grip guys will make a decision which everybody is pleased with! :)

It would be even more important to finally find a list of standard events which should be used for European Grip Championships. I'm sure that in 2006 and 2008 we have seen a good example of events!

Hello,

the place for the contest in Madrid is Sideropolis Gym.

The nearest airport is Barajas, and the distance from the airport to the venue is 10-15 km.

There are hotels in the zone of the venue.

I'm thinking in the events, but i like a lot the past europeans and for me would be very similar:

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift

5. Test of wrist strength, i don´t know...

I thought in the "Stacker" (Goerner's lift) for the wrist exercise, what do you think?

Edited by Jose Jara

Hello,

the place for the contest in Madrid is Sideropolis Gym.

The nearest airport is Barajas, and the distance from the airport to the venue is 10-15 km.

There are hotels in the zone of the venue.

I'm thinking in the events, but i like a lot the past europeans and for me would be very similar:

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift

I thought in the "Stacker" (Goerner's lift) for the wrist exercise, what do you think?

Good to know where the Euros will take place!

The stacker is VERY difficult to judge - You can cheat like hell as we have seen in the German Champs in 2006! Don't take the stacker! :D The other events sound good to me! :rock

The stacker is VERY difficult to judge - You can cheat like hell as we have seen in the German Champs in 2006!

Why was this difficult to judge and how did guys cheat? I've only seen it used on one other competition (2003 Feats With Hands) and even saw pictures of several competitors. I use it in my training and it seems pretty straight forward if you keep your forearm relatively parallel with the device. I don't think there are any rules in place for the lift so that could be a problem. Maybe lifting a certain number of inches/cm, moving from a lower platform to a higher one, or possibly holding for a certain time would help? I may hold competition in my area someday and this might be an event so coming up with rules would nice.

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift

i like the R.T the most.

I wish the 2010 euro comp add some "different" lifts to avoid "boredom"...

-Wrist curl lift(up to 200kg) etc ...

Edited by ewokhugo

Wrist test.....weaver to front, good test imo and never been contested alot so the boredom factor is addressed? Just a thought.

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift

May I suggest the one hand lift instead of the one hand deadlift?

Now with the one hand deadlift and appolon's axle you have 2 events in favor of large handed people.

Since I personally don't feel much for separate classes I think it's only fair to keep handsize in mind when choosing events ;)

(regardless of the outcome, I'm still planning on participating though :rock)

Boredoom with having standardized events? I'm all for having standardized events! :)

Standardized events are fine, but only ever having 4 lifts year after year is rather monotonous. There are plenty of lifts that have reasonably well defined rules (standardized) that can be rotated....just my opinion but I think grip has so much more to offer than just say..max grippers, 2hand pinch, vbar and RT for example.....even though they cover alot of bases, it would be easy to insert others in their place.

Please,

could you tell me your preferences or favourites for this contest?

Another option could be:

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift "thumbless"

5. A support event

With this, the test of wrist strength would be the one hand "thumbless".

But i want to hear your opinions and your preferences,

Thanks!

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift

May I suggest the one hand lift instead of the one hand deadlift?

Now with the one hand deadlift and appolon's axle you have 2 events in favor of large handed people.

Since I personally don't feel much for separate classes I think it's only fair to keep handsize in mind when choosing events ;)

(regardless of the outcome, I'm still planning on participating though :rock )

Does 1hdl favor large handed?

Please,

could you tell me your preferences or favourites for this contest?

Another option could be:

1. Grippers

2. Euro-Pinch

3. Apollon's Axle

4. One hand deadlift "thumbless"

5. A support event

With this, the test of wrist strength would be the one hand "thumbless".

But i want to hear your opinions and your preferences,

Thanks!

Even though that I'm a "smallhanded" individual, I'd like the AA to be in.

Don't really know what you mean with the fifth, as both AA and 1hdl is support. What about overhead levering as the fifth event? http://www.gripfaq.com/Wrist_Strength_Exercises/

The one hand deadlift thumbless is an option, of course.

Another option could be:

1. Grippers

2. Pinch

3. Axle

4. One hand deadlift (with thumb)

5. One hand axle thumbless

Similar to this years events, but the last one is a bit friendlier to small handed people than the RT. Just a thought.

Another option could be:

1. Grippers

2. Pinch

3. Axle

Similar to this years events, but the last one is a bit friendlier to small handed people than the RT. Just a thought.

True...why have 2 thick bar events...theres always finger and wrist (specifically)

Another option could be:

1. Grippers

2. Pinch

3. Axle

Good choice of events!

True...why have 2 thick bar events...theres always finger and wrist (specifically)

Are You planning to compete? Just curious.

Who is running the event hasn't been decided yet, never mind the events.

Why have these 2 countries wondering who it will be, ridiculous really.

Simple and the fairest way is for the countries to vote (like I said). Spain or Finland?

As for events, surely not 2 thick bar events, why?

There is no Wrist Event. I have an idea that I may be bringing in for the Champions that will be a good event for this section.

The place will be in Helsinki or Vantaa. Helsinki-Vantaa is the nearest airport. Competition place is about 10 to 20km´s away from the airport.

There are many hotels near at the airport or competition place.