Which Muscle Is More Important

taekwondo911

Hi,

could you tell me which muscles are more important in an armwrestling match? biceps or wrists and forearms??

thank you in advance :D

:rock :rock :rock

strong hands, strong wrists, strong forearm, strong biceps, there all important tbh. just watch some videos of match's and see all the muscles that come into play, even the back muscles and shoudlers, deltoids i think there all important. the muscles which are msot important i would say the muscles closest to your enemy, so your hand wrist and forearms. taking hand control is the best way to go. imo.

shouldnt you have a strong triceps aswell? :O and a strong back for pulling their arm towards you

Edited by Yersinia

strong hands, strong wrists, strong forearm, strong biceps, there all important tbh. just watch some videos of match's and see all the muscles that come into play, even the back muscles and shoudlers, deltoids i think there all important. the muscles which are msot important i would say the muscles closest to your enemy, so your hand wrist and forearms. taking hand control is the best way to go. imo.
shouldnt you have a strong triceps aswell? :O and a strong back for pulling their arm towards you

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but imho I believe, in addition to what's already posted here, a strong chest would help your side-pressure also.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but imho I believe, in addition to what's already posted here, a strong chest would help your side-pressure also.

Some of the best armwrestlers in the world don't have a very big bench. I've heard from the most experienced, that a strong hand/wrist is so important, that they even control the match if you're in a HOOK, which is supossed to be a possition that test your strength and not so much hand/wrist. Bob Brown has stated this even on this board.

I think the only help you'd get from a big bench, is when you're tricep-pressing someone, but maybe if you have strong triceps don't need very strong chest. I think chest is low on the list of important muscles, there are plenty of others above it. But of course you'd benefit from a strong EVERYTHING I guess! :)

Hi,

could you tell me which muscles are more important in an armwrestling match? biceps or wrists and forearms??

thank you in advance :D

:rock:rock:rock

Let's begin and look at the starting position of an arm wrestle match. Your arms are bent like a half way hammer curl. So having strong upper forearms and biceps will give you great leverage in controlling your opponent. Now let's look at what you are using to take down your opponent - your hand and wrist, so it would be very important to have an incredibly strong grip and really strong wrist flexors and extensors - so a super strong forearm really helps (hence: this is why top arm wrestlers can close #2 & #2.5 on very first attempt on a gripper in their life). Now finally, look at the movement involved in an arm wrestling match - taking down your opponent, you're pushing forward with your arm until the opponent goes down. This is where your shoulders are the actual catalysts in the movement, yet the traps, lats, chest, triceps, and biceps act as stabilizers in this feat of strength. As Magnus Samuelson said it - the most important areas involved in a match are Grip, Wrist, Biceps. But he states the Hammer movement which hits the top of the forearms and the Brachialis is very important but will be weak without an incredible Grip. So there you have it, Forearms most important and then second important are the muscles involved in curling the arm, and strong Rotator Cuffs in the Shoulder for the push! :cool

Edited by DannyGrip

i forgot about chest, im sure just about everysingel muscle in your body plays a part. when you go at it, how hard are you trying, what are you doing with your legs etc, some muscles might count for less than 1% but there all important imo. but i also beleive muscles closer to the hand are really important, not saying the others arnt, cause they are, but theres not much use for having strong chest, strong biceps if you cant take hand control.

Edited by raikkonen

I would say fingertip pressure, hand strength, wrist, and forearm are most important with triceps and biceps important but not as important.

I would say fingertip pressure, hand strength, wrist, and forearm are most important with triceps and biceps important but not as important.

The man himself (JB) said armwrestling is a forearm sport. Who is going to argue that? many top level pros have very skinny upper body and big froearm to prove what it takes to be good at AW. So foreram is it. The rest of the muscles are there for supporting the movement

The forearm is probably the single most important muscle but the hand and wrist are still very important due to hand control being one of the other very important aspects.

The hand is the most important from my experience so far. Its the first thing to fail when being toprolled and very important to maintain a hook. after that the forearm is the next "bottleneck". The biceps can exert as much force as your hand and forearm can handle..

when i read what JB said about AW he remember his saying that forearms are more improtant than biceps but it was more about hand control and wrist.

when i read what JB said about AW he remember his saying that forearms are more improtant than biceps but it was more about hand control and wrist.

Magnus Samuelsson said the same thing...must be true!

Magnus Samuelsson said the same thing...must be true!

thanks guys for your reply!

if magnus said it then it is true :rock :rock :rock !!

In my opinion i would recommend you to have some hard AW Matches with your friends an the next days you will notice very quick at least where your weaknesses of the muscles are..

Because the strongest Hand/wrist/Forearm Bizeps is not a guaranteed win when you have a weak link eg the shoulder/rotator Cuff is very weak.

Bertl

magnus is a frikkin rocking, armwrestler! he proved in his match with nathan jones that raw power ofyour lats pecs and biceps ((not to mention bodyweight) all contributing significantly to the strength of your pull and medial rotation in the armwrestle) can be beaten by an advantage in all over forearm strength, particularly in the extersor carpi radialis and other abductors (the muscles that lift the forearm "thumbwards" as it were

although these muscles are "weak" and would probably not appear in most armwrestling literature it goes to show that your only as strong as your weakest link...

holla

Magnus Samuelsson isn't even that good of an armwrestler...

He is good but your right he wouldn't stand a chance against any of the pros in his weight class. But as he used to be the best armwrestler in Europe, he probably does have a great deal of AW knowledge.