Alexey Voevoda Collage Video

Matt Brouse

There are plenty on this board with 16" forearms what's another 2-3" when talking about an elite athlete in a sport that concentrates heavily on forearm strength.

I just measured my forearm and it came up almost 12.5" flexed. :cry Maybe I don't belong on this board :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• OldGuy

• lifesnotfair

• lukeamdman

Steve Phipps on the AW board also measured his forearm at 18+ inches recently and posted a clear pic of it, and it looked huge (no tape was on the pic, but a world champ with so many years pulling, probably doesn't need to make up stories). Of course, like jad said, his elbow was probably bent which adds a ton. With elbow straight it would be smaller for sure. Here are two pics of the tiny little Voevoda... :D

http://www.armpower.net/index.php?page=galeria&fid=4910

http://www.armpower.net/index.php?page=galeria&fid=38591

There are plenty on this board with 16" forearms what's another 2-3" when talking about an elite athlete in a sport that concentrates heavily on forearm strength.

Good point. I also agree about measuring the forearm flexed. I always have done it that way. It makes sense.

I'm sure the forearm was measured goosenecked and flexed into the bicep. I've never really understood why there are so many discrepancies on how to measure a forearm; straight, goosenecked, goosenecked and flexed, etc.. People flex their bicep when they measure their upperarm so why wouldn't you flex the forearm? I don't understand all the doubting, the guy is 260-270 and seems to mow over everybody but Brzenk, RH. There are plenty on this board with 16" forearms what's another 2-3" when talking about an elite athlete in a sport that concentrates heavily on forearm strength.

I doubt if anyone on this board has a 16'' forearm measured with the arm kept straight.

your wrong because mine are 16 straight without flexing and i got 22 a while back on the biceps but i am 6ft7 also

I'm sure the forearm was measured goosenecked and flexed into the bicep. I've never really understood why there are so many discrepancies on how to measure a forearm; straight, goosenecked, goosenecked and flexed, etc.. People flex their bicep when they measure their upperarm so why wouldn't you flex the forearm? I don't understand all the doubting, the guy is 260-270 and seems to mow over everybody but Brzenk, RH. There are plenty on this board with 16" forearms what's another 2-3" when talking about an elite athlete in a sport that concentrates heavily on forearm strength.

I doubt if anyone on this board has a 16'' forearm measured with the arm kept straight.

My forearm is almost 14" straight out in the manner you described(little over 13.75) . And I'm only 5' 11"......I don't know what that tells yah it tells me that it's possible....

As a side note, if you ask me (a rookie), I would say that people flex the muscle they are meassuring. So, to meassure the forearm, in my humble opinion, people should be able to flex their wrist in any direction they want, BUT, the elbow should be kept straight, because it really adds a lot to flex the elbow, hence you see these people with supossedly 19" forearms.

As a side note, if you ask me (a rookie), I would say that people flex the muscle they are meassuring. So, to meassure the forearm, in my humble opinion, people should be able to flex their wrist in any direction they want, BUT, the elbow should be kept straight, because it really adds a lot to flex the elbow, hence you see these people with supossedly 19" forearms.

I concur with the idea of measuring muscle while flexed. If your bicep measured with bent arm why not forearm as well? If everyone measures this way then what is the problem? Do you see any one measure the chest w/o the lats spread? In one of Alexey V. picture I can see the tape was laid diagonally and that is wrong and it added inches.

What is the problem with it adding a lot? Are the brachioradialus muscles not considered part of your forearm? They are mostly located there so I don't see the issue.

What is the problem with it adding a lot? Are the brachioradialus muscles not considered part of your forearm? They are mostly located there so I don't see the issue.

I agree. It is still the forearm after all.

jad: the problem is that for some people, flexing the elbow will add a ton to their forearms, while for others, it wont add as much. So maybe a guy with a smaller forearm (if measured with elbow straight, regardles of wrist flexed or not), could end up with a higher measurement by flexing the forearm against the bicep. An example from Gripboard members was then CoC#3 (Sam) visited Mobster... Sam had said his forearm was 16", and ended up measuring 12" with arm straight. In their report, mobster said that Sam seemed to gain more than him and viper when measuring with elbow flexed. Sam probably had more bodyfat than them at the moment (I think) since he's kinda short and was like 240? Maybe fatter guys will see more gains in forearm-measurements by flexing elbows? No idea, I'm typing this by memory, but I hope my point is clear.

Again, this is just my opinion, I don't have a problem with anything. It would be cool to "standarize" the way people take measurements.

jad: the problem is that for some people, flexing the elbow will add a ton to their forearms, while for others, it wont add as much. So maybe a guy with a smaller forearm (if measured with elbow straight, regardles of wrist flexed or not), could end up with a higher measurement by flexing the forearm against the bicep. An example from Gripboard members was then CoC#3 (Sam) visited Mobster... Sam had said his forearm was 16", and ended up measuring 12" with arm straight. In their report, mobster said that Sam seemed to gain more than him and viper when measuring with elbow flexed. Sam probably had more bodyfat than them at the moment (I think) since he's kinda short and was like 240? Maybe fatter guys will see more gains in forearm-measurements by flexing elbows? No idea, I'm typing this by memory, but I hope my point is clear.

Again, this is just my opinion, I don't have a problem with anything. It would be cool to "standarize" the way people take measurements.

I still don't understand. The muscle/fat/tissue is part of the forearm, if Mobster and Viper's brachioradialus aren't as developed as Sam's, that's their problem. If Mobster can add more mass by goosenecking than Sam should we not count goosenecking either?

jad: the flexed wrist would be valid regardless of who adds more with it, because you're flexing the muscle you're about to measure. That's the way I see it. Flexing the bicep, in order to "push" more tissue/muscle/fat into the area you're going to measure makes no sense. If you're gonna measure forearm, flex forearm. Is the forearm flexed by bending the elbow, or is that the upper arm's work? If it's the latter, then only flex upper arm when you're gonna measure upper arm.

I'm not trying to get you to agree with me, just hoping you understand why I think flexing the bicep shouldn't be allowed... unless by flexing the bicep/elbow, some forearm muscles would get bigger (flexed). Are some forearm muscles in charge of bending the elbow? Or just moving the wrist/fingers? If they just move the wrist, then sure, flex your wrist all you want, in the direction you want. But if flexing the bicep just adds measurement because of how the forearm is pushed against the upper arm... then what's the point?

I'm gonna take Brouse's advice and go train, because in this manner (elbow straight, wrist flexed), I only get 12" :(

Who cares? Go train, guys.

can't, I'm at work, between appointments :D

jad: the flexed wrist would be valid regardless of who adds more with it, because you're flexing the muscle you're about to measure. That's the way I see it. Flexing the bicep, in order to "push" more tissue/muscle/fat into the area you're going to measure makes no sense. If you're gonna measure forearm, flex forearm. Is the forearm flexed by bending the elbow, or is that the upper arm's work? If it's the latter, then only flex upper arm when you're gonna measure upper arm.

I'm not trying to get you to agree with me, just hoping you understand why I think flexing the bicep shouldn't be allowed... unless by flexing the bicep/elbow, some forearm muscles would get bigger (flexed). Are some forearm muscles in charge of bending the elbow? Or just moving the wrist/fingers? If they just move the wrist, then sure, flex your wrist all you want, in the direction you want. But if flexing the bicep just adds measurement because of how the forearm is pushed against the upper arm... then what's the point?

I'm gonna take Brouse's advice and go train, because in this manner (elbow straight, wrist flexed), I only get 12" :(

I don't think you push any tissue into the forearm by flexing the elbow but I could wrong. You are flexing your forearm when you bend the elbow; go do a hammer curl and tell me the brachioradialis doesn't pop up and get hard on your forearm. What about the big ramp shaped ridge that runs almost the length of your forearm, that sticks out when you do a hammer curl? This muscle is very prominent when someone does a posting toproll. Why should that not be measured?

I don't think you push any tissue into the forearm by flexing the elbow but I could wrong. You are flexing your forearm when you bend the elbow; go do a hammer curl and tell me the brachioradialis doesn't pop up and get hard on your forearm. What about the big ramp shaped ridge that runs almost the length of your forearm, that sticks out when you do a hammer curl? This muscle is very prominent when someone does a posting toproll. Why should that not be measured?

if it's big enough it will make a difference in the straight arm measurement as well.....

I would like to ask the creator of this topic, wheter he knows how is Alexey doing with the CoC grippers. Can he close a #3.5.

Thank you.

Knigolub.

I would like to ask the creator of this topic, wheter he knows how is Alexey doing with the CoC grippers. Can he close a #3.5.

Thank you.

Knigolub.

He can probably rep the #4 with his massive forearms :blink

Measuring the forearm straight, not goosenecked, was a British standard, and Oscar Heidenstam once wrote decrying the situation in America where gooseneck measurements were taken.

Does it matter? Yes and no.

If one man measures with straight arm (and does not specify that method) and the next man measures goosenecked at right angle (and does not specify that) then confusion reigns if each man offers only the size without the manner of measuring. Indeed, each of us has two different measurements depending on which way we measure ourselves.

So, for the sake of clarity, the method should be mentioned. As we would not describe how much we can press without indicating what type of press(bench, olympic, push, military, etc) so we should be clear in describing how we reached the size mentioned.

Measuring the forearm straight, not goosenecked, was a British standard, and Oscar Heidenstam once wrote decrying the situation in America where gooseneck measurements were taken.

If one man measures with straight arm (and does not specify that method) and the next man measures goosenecked at right angle (and does not specify that) then confusion reigns if each man offers only the size without the manner of measuring. Indeed, each of us has two different measurements depending on which way we measure ourselves.

So, for the sake of clarity, the method should be mentioned. As we would not describe how much we can press without indicating what type of press(bench, olympic, push, military, etc) so we should be clear in describing how we reached the size mentioned.

I also seriously question the accuracy of the measurement. It is easy to cheat using a tape. People throw around these comments like plenty of people have 16 or 17 inch forearms - I don't buy it. A legit 16 inch forearm (gooseneck at a 90) cold is pretty big and if you put it on someone who is less than 250 pounds it is massive.

A 13'' forearm measured with arm straight is a pretty big forearm.

sweet.....

I agree with Mr. Roark if people are to throw around measurement numbers they should also state the manner in which the measured said body part.

I would agree that it definitely needs to be stated how it is measured as it makes a huge difference. However, as an American, as opposed to a Brit, I'm really not concerned about what the British standard was once upon a time. If I was British, I might feel different? It sounds like the American standard has been gooseneck for quite a while. I still can't get past why when measuring a muscle, you wouldn't want to flex it for maximal size, makes no sense to me.

I would agree that it definitely needs to be stated how it is measured as it makes a huge difference. However, as an American, as opposed to a Brit, I'm really not concerned about what the British standard was once upon a time. If I was British, I might feel different? It sounds like the American standard has been gooseneck for quite a while. I still can't get past why when measuring a muscle, you wouldn't want to flex it for maximal size, makes no sense to me.

Yes you need to flex your muscle for measurement. When you measure your chest for buying a suite, you need to spread your lats for maximal size. Because you will eventually spread your lats or move around with your lats spread naturally the shirt would be too tight. NO bodybuilder measure his chest w/o the lats spread. For that matter all other muscles as well. If someone have little size chance by goosing forearm it's too bad. It is like having small chest measurement because your lats suck, too bad! just work harder on building your lats. Don't blame others because you have small muscle to flex or goosing it, toooooo bad!

Thank you.

Knigolub.

I have no idea. Obviously AWer's could walk up to gripper pretty strong, but regardless, grippers are one of those events that require specialization in order to excel in. Tex being the only exception to this that I can think of off hand.