Is This Worth Buying?

knowledgeseaker

After browsing this site i found the powerball section, and being the curious guy i am, i looked up the powerball to see what its about, and i sorta get the idea of how it works. Now my question is will this actually aid in wrist strength and recovery, im seeing videos of 8 year old kids using this like a toy. is this worth buying or no?

I have been wondering this too. From researching this forum I would say no. It's not that I have found negativity it's just that, from what I've read, boardmembers don't use it in their workouts. I am still wondering if you could use it for isometric work or for a warm up/cool down. There is a chrome powerball that is heavier but expensive.

I use a nsd 250pro,Definitely good for warm up and cool down,I think it definitely can be used for gains in strength,When I go for an all out high speed run or am trying to set a PR I get one hell of a forearm pump,Plus using it in different positions and rotations works other areas.Also builds coordination.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my powerball, and although I don't do much gripper work right now, it took my left hand on grippers from far behind my right hand to actually ahead of it. I do max speed attempts only on my left hand for my powerball, and a few weeks after doing them is when I noticed some great gripper increases on my left hand...

I love my powerball, and although I don't do much gripper work right now, it took my left hand on grippers from far behind my right hand to actually ahead of it. I do max speed attempts only on my left hand for my powerball, and a few weeks after doing them is when I noticed some great gripper increases on my left hand...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about getting one. Sense I worked a job that helped my grip a bit and than bought certain grippers from www.ironwoodysfitness.com , I would like to know do powerbal help strength?, or are the Powerball more for assisting the relaxation and stretch of the muscles?

• 2 weeks later...

I have powerballs, i havnt used them in a LOOOOOOOOONG time, it just gives a huge burn in the forarms, i really dont think it compares to other work. With a burn like that all your really doing is tiring the muscles. If you want more endurance (i dont think anyone does) or just build mass, then go for it. I think they are good mass builders.

• 3 weeks later...

i have the power ball. i like the power ball. i bought the cheapest one with no speed meter. i want a speed meter now.

im sure this is a good tool they have it on the grip board dont they?

I have a $20 powerball and it is useful for a general warmup to get the blood flowing. I don't work it too hard when warming up but just pass it from hand it hand every 30 seconds or so for a few minutes. This gets some blood flow into the wrists, hands, and forearms and helps prepare my nervous system for the grippers.

The powerball is what actually got me interested in pursuing grip work. A co-worker brought one to work and I liked the feel so decided to buy one myself. Then I checked the internet to research hand strength and found the COC site and got the grippers. I've been doing grippers for about 2 months but without a real organized routine yet. I'm close to closing the #2 which is much faster progress than I expected when I started. I'm 43 and have not weight trained for about 7 years.

I was also wondering the same thing. Looks like a fun thing to have on the off days of training and warm up. Looks pretty cool when you're bored I guess lol.

Only thing is that it is pricey. $40 for 250 Pro

I was also wondering the same thing. Looks like a fun thing to have on the off days of training and warm up. Looks pretty cool when you're bored I guess lol.

Only thing is that it is pricey. $40 for 250 Pro

lol if you think that is pricey look at the powerball metal its like $120. (now that is expensive!) I have a 250 pro, and yes its something to do when your bored or if your looking for a little variety. It provides a good forearm pump especially at the high rpms. IF you wanna harass some people at work get the screamer powerball. (wouldnt advise this though as you might get fired) :D

does any one on this site use this thing?

does it do any good?

Yes, it appears that quite a bit of people use it, because in the other thread there is a long list of PRs for the powerball. I have one and as people said earlier its more of a cool gizmo to have then a necessity. its ok for warm ups and cool downs.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to own one and quite frankly it's boring. I tried doing it in front of the TV and besides the noise it made over the TV it was just boring. I found I get more benefits by doing "Grease-the-Groove" with a tennis ball throughout the day than a single workout with that thing. With Grease-the-Groove I am able to increase my strength faster; I just recently got back on the wagon with grip training while doing everything else but not taking it as serious as I once did. I am just doing anywere from 3 to 10 sets with a #2 (2.5 when it arrives) with the goal of getting my name on the #3 list. During the day driving, walking, standing, whatever I will periodically grab a tennis ball, squeeze as hard as I can, and hold it as long as I can and switch hands.

I am done with all the extra gadgets. COC's and a tennis ball is all I need. If I have a place to hang my Power Rings and rope again, then I can do pull-ups again on a Manilla rope and using a towel which are killer gripping exercises while working other muscles.