New to the grip world!

MAXIMUM MIKE

Even though I been weight training for 15 years I never trained my grip specifically. I just bought the COC's grippers: trainer, #1, #2, and I was surprised that with my

right hand I came within a inch of closing the #2 on my first

try( I might have done a little better if I had done a warm-up!). Then I realized that all the years that I played competitve tennis had contributed to a having a substantial

grip, but obviously my left hand is signficantly weaker, barely able to close #1.  Right now my goal is to close the #3, and depending on my progress I'm thinking of competing in the future, but I can't find any information on the events in a grip competition and what are the grading criteria(my understanding right now is that there is alot of confusion about what the standards should be), but I looking for more general and current information based on recent competitions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maximum Mike

MM,

First of all - Welcome to the GripBoard.  You have come to the right place if your goal is to close the #3.  There are lots of guys on this board that have done just that (myself included) that can help you to achieve that honor.  You are off to a good start!  I couldn't close the #2 the first time I tried..... now you will have to GRIP TRAIN.  Monitor this board for lots of good information, and visit the various websites that can help you on your future grip goals.  I have a homepage that has links you can go to for those places on the Internet.  Again, welcome to the GripBoard!!  :)

http://home.infospace.com/johnh68

If you are interested in grip competitions, I would highly recommend David Horne's Iron Grip publication.  He includes results from just about every competition as well as upcoming events.  You may want to get back issues with the history of the British Champ's.

I promote one of the few grip competitions in the U.S. and it is sanctioned by the USAWA.  I believe there are results at www.usawa.com.  I don't think our recent competition results are up yet.

This coming weekend is the Herman Goerner Deadlift Dozen contest in Columbia, Missouri.  Although not promoted as a grip contest, it is very much grip oriented with lots of one-hand and finger deadlifts.  It is however limited to just deadlift events.  This is also a USAWA contest.  There are occaisonally grip contests in the Massachusetts area hosted by the Ciavattone's.

Nick McKinless is organizing a competition in Australia.  Others are also being started so there should be more opportunities in the future, depending on where you live.  The meet directors pick the events.  There are no standard grip contest events.  We have changed the events in our contest from year to year, and David Horne has done the same with his contest.  Our contests are geared to test overall grip strength and don't focus on just one type of grip strength.

Best of luck with your grip training goals.

Kevin