2007 October - Backyard Bastard Bash - Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

The BBB was great. John's facility is awesome for a Grip contest. Here's my run down.

Before the contest I made sure to check out the grippers, something I did not do last year. Most of the grippers that were used were Aaron Corcorran's RGC calibrated grippers, which was excellent. You could be confident that every thing lined up the right way and extra grippers were only thrown in a couple times for things under the 3's. Like I said, I pre-squeezed the grippers lefty and decided I would start at the elites. When Aaron and Chad started out at 3.5 and SE, I knew I was not going to place first in this event. They both murdered them. I decided to start out at the middle elite, which I set and closed so quick I could feel a hard close. I was very surprised. Next, I jumped up to the 3.5. I have been getting very close on mine and decided I better go for it, in case it was a bit easier than mine. The numbers Aaron provided didn't mean much to me as I have not calibrated any of my grippers with an RGC. John said I was about 1/8” away. I considered trying it again, but I stayed safe instead and dropped down for the hard elite that was right below the 3.5 and I got it with a fight. Not sure where that placed me.

Next event was bending. My best beforehand was a 7-inch Edgin at Michigan, so I started out with that. I knew I couldn't be too cautious with the way Klein and Corcorran were bending. Chad also had said that he was working his ass off on grippers for the last month, but I didn't know exactly what that meant. I got the Edgin in about 19 seconds. I have really found a good wrap thickness now. My next was a 6-inch Edgin, trying to match Aaron. I should have had it but it was far too off center for me to crush down. I'll post a picture - pretty severe. I was quite pissed when I didn't finish it, because I know I could have had it. For my last bend I cut down a 6.5-inch Edgin and got that puppy, so I tied for second with 3 others on that one.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/bbb07.7edgin.wmv

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/bbb6edgin.wmv

Next was the Medley. Lots of guys had trouble with the 45-pound York. It was very slick and dusty, but I got it on the first try. I also got the baby inch with no problem. I had a pace going where I was hitting one left and then one right, which worked out good until the 172 inch. I was synced in to lift it righty and it slipped out of my hand twice. I heard doc call 10 something seconds when I set down the baby inch. I missed the 172 righty twice and then got it on the box lefty on the first try. So in hindsight I should have hit the inch lefty off the bat. Not sure I could have taken the extra step to my right to get my left hand positioned on it, grip and lift the inch and place it in time to beat Chad though. His time of 12 seconds was sickening. Unbelievable athlete he is.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/bbb07medley.wmv

Next was the 2-inch Vertical Bar. In training, my best lift was in the 230-240 range. My bar just won't take any chalk. The one at the contest took it well, and I was successful on my first attempt. Then I think I missed my next two, if I remember correctly - everything gets a little fuzzy at that point. I think I got 235 and missed 255 twice. Took a chance and it didn't pay off, I know that for sure.

Next was the axle. In training, I thought I was lifting about 335 for my best. I did not think that the axle is actually heavier than the normal bar though, so I must have miss judged it. I will eventually weigh my axle, but right now I have no scale here at my house. I took lots of good warm ups to see what I could lift quick to my knee and figured I would start in with my first pull at 375. I got that no problem and then missed 395 twice. I skipped 285 because I knew it wasn't going to do any good to lift it and thought maybe if I got 395 I could slip in between Chad and Ryan if one of them made a mistake. The strategy did me no good though, as both of them out lifted me. Ryan nearly got 450 pounds on that sucker. That is just ridiculous.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/bbbaxle.wmv

Finally, we did the Hercules Hold. At this point I was tied for 2nd with Aaron Corcorran. I may have been tied with others as well, as I heard that later on, but I knew I was definitely tied with Aaron. Aaron pulled number one in the blond drawing at the beginning of the show, so his mark of 1:02 or so was my goal. I am confident my right hand had it for sure, but my left choked on my and the handle ripped out of my hand at the 52 second mark. I really liked the Hercules hold. Smitty and I have talked about doing that in GGC for years but we don't have a good set up for it. Maybe next year.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/bbbherc.wmv

As always the feats following the contest were amazing. We began with flips with the 50kg kettlebell. I got some forward flips, some back flips and some side forward flips. I tried the patented double forward flip but it was a no go. I pulled my groin on the last one so I let it go after that.

John Eaton broke out his hard scale weights and I finally figured out what I have been doing wrong on that feat. I was placing my thumb on the thumb handle last all this time, trying to pinch the two together. Finally I dug my thumb in first, wrapped my fingers last and was able to better support it and cleaned it.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/videos/bbbfeats.wmv

I have to say this was one of the biggest group of talented grip stars I have competed with. Between this and the first GGC is a real toss-up. I am glad to see so many of the big names showing up.

Awesome write-up and awesome vid's Jedder. Nice job at the comp. That's probably the most intimidating list of 10 guys I've ever seen...

Edit: Chad's and yours medleys were like warm ups!!!

Edited by Matt Brouse

Unfortunately I did not get much on video guys. I was too focused on the contest. Thanks to Aaron and John E and anyone else who helped film some of my stuff. Thanks to Scott Harris for helping me with that wrap on the 6-inch edgin.

Climbers BBB Story

Grippers – Easy #3 – good

Hard #3 – missed

Average #3 – I thought I got it but John said I had my pinky in the way – no argument from me – who knows, close at least.

Bending – Shoulder wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either

I opened with a 6” G5 – then in a moment of madness, tried a Bastard bar – my shoulder thought that wasn’t much of an idea – next did a 5” G5 pretty easily – short didn’t hurt the shoulder so much – the long bar hurt badly.

Medley – it was easy until the 45 Blob – it stopped me in my tracks like many others, I had really hoped for a shot at the baby Inch – I had almost pulled it earlier – no idea of my time

2” v-bar – pulled 205 easily in warm-ups so I opened at 200 for a miss – then 190 for another miss – then again – as I was walking away, Doc said hit it lefty – and up it came just like nothing. So I Bombed this – and it ended up costing me dearly in the rankings at the end.

Axle – 335 – 355 – 365 to just barely below lock out, a pretty close attempt – I liked the tires raising the bar somewhat – helped my back out.

The Hercules Hold – I’d never done it before and didn’t really know what to expect – I guess I expected it to pull much harder on the shoulders than it ended up doing. I’ll admit I was a little afraid of it going in. As it turned out, I think my rock climbing background helped me out here – holding on for dear life is easy when you have a couple hundred feet of nothing under you so maybe I had an advantage I didn’t know about. I did have to watch big Dave when he came after me – I had visions of last years scale weight hold where he came back to beat me by 2 seconds, but my time held up. As you all can guess, this was my favorite event. And just to show what a class act Chad is – he was among the first to congratulate me.

The after show was mostly me watching all the young bucks go at everything in John Garage – unbelievable – 3-25’s – 5-10s – horseshoes. Card tearing – phone books into little pieces ( I mean little pieces) – Inch lifting – arm wrestling – thumbless reverse curling of some solid bar stock we found up against the wall – some sick KB flipping by Jedd, Doc and Nick – and on and on – what a show! About all I did after the contest was eat and watch – not much left of the old man after the main event.

It was real pleasure seeing so many old friends again and meeting so many new people that I now consider friends – the atmosphere of so many people helping and cheering each other on reminds me of the old days when that’s the way contests were – and how I hope these continue to be. Looking at the overall results it’s almost scary how strong this group is as a whole.

And did anyone but me wonder if Chad’s baby girl will ever have a “second” date after having big Chad meet them at the door? Sorry buddy – just couldn’t resist.

As usual, great write-up.

Thanks Jedd and Chris.

Thanks Matt. I fixed the herc hold link.

Great writeup guys. I always like Jedds writeup. It's like you are in his mind.

And did anyone but me wonder if Chad’s baby girl will ever have a “second” date after having big Chad meet them at the door? Sorry buddy – just couldn’t resist.

That is about right Chris :rock

I'd be impressed if they go on a 1st date if Chad turns the juice on during the pre-date, introductory handshake.

Great write-ups, almost like beeing there! I bet you all had fun.

Edited by Teemu I

Thanks for the write up and the videos!! I liked the medly a lot. Would be cool to have this kind of little Inch!

Great writeup guys. I always like Jedds writeup. It's like you are in his mind.

Something tells me that's not where I want to be.

That Herc apparatus is sweet. :rock

Nice write up Jedd. I did not even realize you were trying a 6" edgin until you showed it to me later. That was close and being off center as it was it was a great attempt.

Thanks for posting your results Chris. Some good numbers and like you said bombing in a event is going to kill your standing. it is hard to keep track of everyone during the meet.

GREAT write-ups and GREAT vids!

I'll echo everyone else's comments here - I almost felt like I was there. A greater group of people you'll be hard-pressed to find. I truly look forward to meeting/competing with you all in the future!

Good writeups, both of you.

A question for anyone competing...could you lift more or less than what you do on an Apollon's axle with the tire rig that was used? It looked that it was being lifted off the ground from a much higher height, and that can be a good thing for some and not-so-good for others.

Mike

Good writeups, both of you.

A question for anyone competing...could you lift more or less than what you do on an Apollon's axle with the tire rig that was used? It looked that it was being lifted off the ground from a much higher height, and that can be a good thing for some and not-so-good for others.

Mike

It usually helps me out, buddy.

Hubgeezer,

It would help everyone out if the bar is set higher. No one has to bend over as far as they would on a normal bar, I guess if your weak at lockout or around mid thigh it would hurt you to start there though.

I was able to do about the same weight I had been doing at home with plates. This set up seemed much easier on my back though - I really liked it.

That kind of axle is way easier to get big weights on double overhand since it doesn't roll as much due to the large tires. I can barely do 300 on a plate loaded axle but I've done 350 on a tire axle like that.

I was able to do about the same weight I had been doing at home with plates. This set up seemed much easier on my back though - I really liked it.

I agree on all accounts and great for concrete floors