Grippers First Time Trying

dimmers

What was your best close when you first tried a gripper?

Where you struggling with the trainer or were you mashing a #2

and where are you now (how long did it take to get there)

I first started at the beginning of 2006 and I was struggling with the trainer - although once I learned how to set it I got it closed.

I can now close the #2 - took me about 1 and a half years to go from the trainer to the #2.

I got my first gripper back in Feb this year. It was a #1 and I closed it first time. I then got a #2 and didn't close it first time, it took about 2 weeks to close the #2. I then got a #3 and the handles didn't move when I tried it but I'm now down to a few mm off closing it. So in 7 months I've gone from a #1 to a #2.5 I'm happy with that but some guys on here will have closed a #2 first time :whacked

i got the T and #1 back in 2000 and could barely close the T on my first try. Took about a month to get the #1 and then after that the grippers went away for years. Only recently got the #2, all thanks to the info on this board :rock

Lloyds, getting the #1 first time is impressive! i've no doubt you'll get the #3 before the end of the year - good luck.

Got grippers for xmas 2005, fell just short on a #1, got that within a week or two but took me nearly a year to get to the #2. Currently fighting an ongoing battle with the #2.5.

Got my first gripper #1 about year ago. I get it to paraller.

Now im closed #2.5 (2.7) and fighting hard with #3 (3.15)

Edited by Koura

I got my grippers in June 2006, I could close the Trainer only right handed, with a set (probably not too wide). I got the #1 in about two months right handed, from a parallel set. I got the #2 with a parallel set just a few months ago... I don't know how much it was, but it was at least 7-8 months in total to finally get that #2, and it was using a deep set. I have yet to close it with a wide set, but I'm working on it as we speak, I'm now training with a wider set. Hubgeezer is my inspiration, if he trained for it for 8 years, I'll get that #3 even if it takes long!! :)

Got first gripper which was the #1 in November 2005, i closed it out of the package just, then on further goes i'd generally shut it 75% of the time.

Im on the verge of shutting my RB330N (3.4ish). So it has taken me just under 2 years to get to this level, crazy how time flies hey! I have only really been training since like Feb 2006 which was when i shut the no.2. So i'd say that i have been training for around 18 months.

got a t in 05, think i closed it right away or within a week and then got a 1, took a little while longer, eventually mashing that for 5-10 reps, cant quite remember, then packed them away till the end of last year or start of this one, hadnt trained anything in that year so all my strength was down. had to work back to the 1 then got a 1.5 and the bug bit fully then.

In late August 2006 I first got my grippers. I actually missed the T the first time due to setting problems but I got it either the second or third time with both hands. For the #1 I think I was about at parallel and the #2 a little further (like 1 inch). I used a small set, mostly because I sucked at setting. I closed the #1 about a month later and the #2 how it is in my sig.

I got a trainer, #1, and #2 and was able to close the trainer easily without a set, the number 1 after a lot of effort without a set, and almost get the handles of the #2 parallel.

I was pretty happy with that right out of the box, but my dad managed to close the #1 about 5 times without much trouble. :angry:

Closed my #1 on my first time back in Jan 2006. It definatly was a max effort close. Took a 4-5 weeks for me to get consistant with it. Closed my #2 in June 2006 so about 5-6 months after I closed the #1. Then I closed my BBSM( 2.6ish) in December 2006. Been stuck at this level ever since. Although im pretty far away from closing the #3 is actually seems possible now.

Got my first grippers in Apr 2002, bought the T, 1, 2, 3 from a local martial arts store. I could no set the #1 with either hand, but the #2 felt a brick and the #3 was an absolute joke. I remember thinking that no one could possibly close it. Took about 18-19 months for me to close my #3 using a parallel set, then I got bored of grippers and barely touched them again until recently.

I started at the end of 2005,I closed the #1 first try.i think i could get like 2 reps.trained off and on and got the #2 after about a year or so,although couldn't get it every try after the that. i am now working on the 2.5 and i am about 1/2" away.

I first started using grippers in Dec '06. My grip was pretty weak then because the HG100 was difficult. After closing the HG250 I decided to try COCs. At that point my grip was getting stronger so I was able to close the #2. I'm now about 1/8" away on the #2.5. I think I'll close that one before Jun '08 (hopefully much sooner).

Edited by nockowt1

I started in oct 2003 and could close COC #2 on first attempt.Took till Jan of 2004 to first close #3 then sick with Diabetes

no #3 close anymore.Found out I had Diabetes and treatments began, I got better and started closing #3 again and worked up to closing for reps and creditcard for cert.Certed CCS in 2005.Then hurt ring finger doing stupid stuff like cold #3 closes took a year off from grippers.This year started training again smater with extensor training and now am closing #3 for a few reps and am working on closing a very hard Elite.

Brendan

i started earlier this year, i wanna say begginning of spring, able to close the #1 and come very close on the #1.5. now i've closed the #2.5. the #3 will be mine soon enough...

#T and #1 at first no set (if i remember rightly i had to play around with the #1 for a bit first thinking back now the reaosn i didn't close it first try was because i was placing it way too high up my hand)

#2 as soon as i learnt how to 'set'.

After closing the #2 i had a year off grip and did nothing but bodybuilding but when i started back up again lastyear it only took me 2 months to shut the #3.

Edited by CoC#3

Hello everybody!

It`s my first post here. I bought a sport,trainer and a #1 one year ago and the first two were shut right out of the package and in a few days I could shut the #1. One month later I bought the #2 and I think it took maybe two months to nail it. Now I`m a few mm away from closing the #2,5.

I ordered the HeavyGrip set of grippers in November 2006 and I was able to close the HG200 for 2-3 reps.

In January an February I rested my hands because I damaged them.

After the rest I trained with grippers for a month, I was able to close the HG250 for 12 reps.

I had another rest of a month and a half for a tissue damage in my knuckles.

When I restarted the trainings in the middle of May I closed for the first time my COC#2.

Now, after 3 months of training I can close the COC#2.5 from a set wider than parallel.

I ordered the HeavyGrip set of grippers in November 2006 and I was able to close the HG200 for 2-3 reps.

In January an February I rested my hands because I damaged them.

After the rest I trained with grippers for a month, I was able to close the HG250 for 12 reps.

I had another rest of a month and a half for a tissue damage in my knuckles.

When I restarted the trainings in the middle of May I closed for the first time my COC#2.

Now, after 3 months of training I can close the COC#2.5 from a set wider than parallel.

Thats fast progress! I reckon Filip will be one to watch out for in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

Closed the #2 the first time I had it in my hands (no set), and I'm currently on the same level I guess since I never trained (or train) grippers. I only own a #3 and a #4 which are too strong to train with, so will have to order some lighter ones for training first before I start working on them ;)

Edited by White Scorpion