• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• lifesnotfair

• CoC#3

Flo,

Riku was very strong and had a great grip, and he certainly could possibly have done a 300k lift. I have heard the story before but have seen no details or photos whatsoever so I will not place it on the list right now. Especially since the wikepedia article seems quite inacurate;

In 2005, when American powerlifter Mike 'The Muler' Miller broke the 1200lb barrier in the squat, Riku in reply did an exhibition lift with 1500lbs at his gym in Helsinki, Finland in front of knowledgeable witnesses, including Paul Anderson. Anderson reported said that Kiri paused at the bottom of the lift and shouted in broken english; "I am strength! Yurg!".

1500lb squat!! and Paul Anderson there in 2005 when he died in 1994!! :tongue

David

Flo,

Riku was very strong and had a great grip, and he certainly could possibly have done a 300k lift. I have heard the story before but have seen no details or photos whatsoever so I will not place it on the list right now. Especially since the wikepedia article seems quite inacurate;

In 2005, when American powerlifter Mike 'The Muler' Miller broke the 1200lb barrier in the squat, Riku in reply did an exhibition lift with 1500lbs at his gym in Helsinki, Finland in front of knowledgeable witnesses, including Paul Anderson. Anderson reported said that Kiri paused at the bottom of the lift and shouted in broken english; "I am strength! Yurg!".

1500lb squat!! and Paul Anderson there in 2005 when he died in 1994!! :tongue

David

My thoughts exactly.

6'6'' though and a beast - no doubt he had huge hands. 300kg on a one hand lift setup would be easy for him i suepect.

I've heard so many web legends about Kiri only 10% will be true. The ill for many years Anderson never traveled in his later years as he was wheel chair bound for ages never mind attending a non-event after he died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riku_Kiri

Riku Kiri is also know for his strong one hand/one arm deadlifts. According to wikipedia, he did 300kg.

I've just edited that entry as anyone can. I've seen many 'what Riku could do' type legends and they are like the Chuck Norris 'legends'.

Edited by mobsterone

[ I've seen many 'what Riku could do' type legends and they are like the Chuck Norris 'legends'.

Chuck Norris a legend??? I dont think so sir - I'm sure his feats are documented somewhere :shifty

Edited by maidenfan

Jon Pall was certainly capable of it. I have all the Strength Athlete mags but don't remember this picture. Can you remember the copy?

David

heres a link to a youtube tribute to Jon Paul the deadlift is about half way through.

Very interesting - good find Gazza!

Can anyone count the weight?

This lift appears at 3min 42sec of the youtube vid.

Footage is marked 1982.

David

This thread got me pumped up so I went out and took a shot at it today - almost nailed 315lbs (no hook grip). I did deadlifts yesterday and I think I could have nailed it if my hands were a bit fresher.

One question David - I did mine on a Texas Power Bar with center knurling - is a center knurled bar standard or is it expected to do it without?

• 2 weeks later...
Heres a photo of Franks one hand DL (cant tell if its hook or not - I assume it is) off Dale Harder's site

562lb ONE HAND DL

It was a hook grip. He's a USAWA member. And has lifted the Dinnie stones.

How do you guys train to lift more on this. I recently started training this to try and improve my deadlift grip as I can lift more than I can hold now.

I am using an Olympic barbell no hook grip. What is the difference between doing it in front and between the legs? Is that just personal preference?

I am crap at it now, can't do much over 200 lbs. But over this weight the bar rotates onto my fingers and I can still lockout with it but just barely hanging on the tips of my fingers. Is this how it feels for you guys?

Or Should I lower the weight and try and keep my hand closed?

Just out of curiosity do you guys ever use mixed grip instead of DO or hook grip for heavy deadlifts. Or use wraps for rack pulls? It seems to me that these would be limiting factors to applying that strength in a real world application. It is hard to get a hook grip or wraps on a stone for example.

Go to the sandowplus website and look up the book "Goerner the Mighty" Around Ch. 7 or 8 I believe he goes into great detail on how to train for one hand deadlifts by using different grips, etc. There's a bunch of cool pics

http://sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Goerne...m/gtm-intro.htm

Edited by Wes

Go to the sandowplus website and look up the book "Goerner the Mighty" Around Ch. 7 or 8 I believe he goes into great detail on how to train for one hand deadlifts by using different grips, etc. There's a bunch of cool pics

http://sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Goerne...m/gtm-intro.htm

Interesting article (and site, too). Thanks for posting.

I wonder how Goerner would have done in a modern strongman competetion or a powerlifting competition?

reverse grip 830 lbs (barbell plus two men standing on it).

http://sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Goerner/gtm/gtm06b.htm

It describes doing a sequence of various 1 and 2 finger deadlifts DO then reverse for the index and middle then both together.

Do you think it would help to train the ring and little finger this way as well?

4 finger deadlift reverse grip 270 Kg 595 lbs.

It would be interesting to see what some of you guys on here who are strong in these one hand lifts could do with a 4 finger deadlift. I will try it but I am sure it will not be much to write back about yet.