Average Grip

Billafer 65

What does the average person close with no training with grippers what so ever.

Since there haven't been any scientific studies with any grippers I know of, dynos are another story, I don't know if this can be easily determined.

There are so many variables to speak of. Most people I have met, that do not have a lifting background and are fairly sedentary, have trouble closing the Trainer, let alone the #1 as far as IronMind products go.

In Ironmind gripper terms, it's most likely the #1 for the average male, with some to spare probably. I think in terms of any gripper it's the Beef Builder Super Advanced, again for males only.

I think a #1 is a bit much for most of the folks I know. Only a few people I have handed it to could close it first try. And many of them were rock climbers.

What does the average person close with no training with grippers what so ever.

I heard somewhere, that the "average" adult male has a 112-115 pound grip. So, less than a COC#1.

I would definitely say I have an average grip. When we got the #1(which is the first gripper I bought), I could not close it. Now I can hit at least 5 reps with it :blush

I would say the average adult untrained male would not be able to close the #1 COC. I vote for the trainer as being the starting point.

Having not weight trained or any grip work whatsoever for the last four years, I was only able to close the #1 to within 1/2'' when I first received the gripper in November '05. Fully closed it with both hands after the first week and was able to do a set of 5 after a month of training. I'm within 1/4'' on the #2 after a little less than two months of training.

The few guys that I've let try the #1 have not been able to fully close it, getting stuck between 1/4'' - 1/2''. All having either little to none weight and/or grip training experience or weekend warriors.

Only a few people I have handed it to could close it first try. And many of them were rock climbers.

I have taken my grippers to workplaces and such, and almost every man/teenage boy closed the #1 when I should them how to position it in their hand. The problem usually is that the movement of closing a gripper is quite unknown and awkward, and people have a way of finding the most difficult angles to close grippers in proportion to where they fall in the hand (pinkies ½" up on the handle, inverted,....to so far out on the thumb pad that a certified #3 closer would have difficulty with the Trainer in that position).

SS, if I am not mistaken the 112 rating is on a dynamometer. I have serveral textbooks that address the issue and they are all on dynos, and the average is listed at 120lbs. As we know this doesn't have a direct correlation with the "poundage" ratings on the Ironmind grippers.

About half the guys I've let try my #1 (a tougher #1 that maybe would rate about a 1.15) can close it the first try after I show them how to position their pinkie and fingers and tell them to take a couple easy squeezes to warm up and get used to the feel of it. I don't have them set it, since I don't really know how to myself :erm , but do have them use their other hand to get their fingers around the handles and comfortably into the hand. About 15% cannot close the trainer right away and about 8% can close a BBSA (1.6) right away with no grip training from the guys at work I've sampled.

.. neilkaz ..

The #1 is definately the standard for all the athletes I have tested. It was a strange thing to find athletes that couldn't do it. And don't be surprised to find people that can close the #2.

As for people that don't wory out, the #1 is a good close and the Trainer is average, and even it elludes a good number of them, hard as that is to beleive...

Only a few people I have handed it to could close it first try. And many of them were rock climbers.

I have taken my grippers to workplaces and such, and almost every man/teenage boy closed the #1 when I should them how to position it in their hand. The problem usually is that the movement of closing a gripper is quite unknown and awkward, and people have a way of finding the most difficult angles to close grippers in proportion to where they fall in the hand (pinkies ½" up on the handle, inverted,....to so far out on the thumb pad that a certified #3 closer would have difficulty with the Trainer in that position).

SS, if I am not mistaken the 112 rating is on a dynamometer. I have serveral textbooks that address the issue and they are all on dynos, and the average is listed at 120lbs. As we know this doesn't have a direct correlation with the "poundage" ratings on the Ironmind grippers.

You are correct. It is with a Dyno. Straight weight... no smoke, sets or mirrors! ;)

when i first starting training for grippers, i couldn't close the im#1 on the first try.

on average i would think the trainer. but for construction workers or people who use there hands alot ill say slightley below a #2 like a 1.8.

Adult friends of mine of average size and shape can close the #1 COC or a few reps on the Trainer. No one has come close to closing a #2

I've given the T-#3 to many, many guys (easily 100+) over a 5 year period at work. It is rare for a guy to close the #2. Maybe a dozen counting my coworkers.

It's probably around 25% of guys that can close the #1. This includes a very wide assortment of people. Athletes, construction workers, sedentary guys, office workers, a few rodeo riders (both closed the #1), and weights ranging everywhere from 100 pounds to 450+.

The 100 pound guy couldn't close the Trainer. The 450+ pound guy could BARELY close the #1. With a slight set. :blink So weight isn't always an indicator. But to be truthful, weight is a good indication of whether or not someone will close the #1 or not.

The number of guys who weighed 250 or above that couldn't close the #1 is pretty low in comparison to the guys who weigh well under 200.

Average female seems to be able to close the Sport. I know 4 that can close the Trainer though. Not a huge deal, but not something you're likely to find all the time with females. And I know one woman that can close the #2. Inverted. :blink

many people i showed grippers to came fairly close to the #1 about a centimeter or 2 away, my friend mike did not even come close to the trainer but then again when i got my first gripper a coc #2 my brother closed it first try with no prior expierence and he is a small guy

If someone can close the #1 the first time they touch one, they have a much stronger than average grip.

I stopped asking people to close them, as it is a)A weird thing to do, and b)Embarassing if they do poorly. If you are close to them and/or they already know you are a weirdo, that is okay, but otherwise, it is something to pursue with caution.

Hubgeezer

If someone can close the #1 the first time they touch one, they have a much stronger than average grip.

I stopped asking people to close them, as it is a)A weird thing to do, and b)Embarassing if they do poorly. If you are close to them and/or they already know you are a weirdo, that is okay, but otherwise, it is something to pursue with caution.

Hubgeezer

True, but a few times when I did it people fought like toddlers to get at the things. It was very "my turn, no my turn." Grown men too!

Hubgeezer

True, but a few times when I did it people fought like toddlers to get at the things. It was very "my turn, no my turn." Grown men too!

I agree. But eventually a bad experience causes you to be more discreet. You learn to smell who wants to play and who doesn't.

HG

hahahahah i handd a 17 year old kid my #3 once and told him i would give him my car if he closed it.

he tried like hek!

but back to the topic,..i would say anything between a T and a #1 is for the averige man

Edited by ruffhans

I agree that many people who are handed a gripper and asked to close it, have no concept of how to hold them properly for maximum leverage, and thus fail well below their actual maximum close.

I teach beginning level sailing to college students on the weekends and I have a standing offer to any student that takes a class: close the COC#2 and you don't have to take the final multiple choice test. Not one person has made good on that offer in about 200 tries although a few have come very close. I'd say about 10 in the 200 could close if they were taught how to set.

More than half the males can close the COC #1 once shown how to hold the gripper (no real setting just position for leverage.)

We also offer a free class in the water sport of their choosing if they can close the COC #3 or deadlift the blob50.

Someone mentioned earlier that people find you weird if you ask them to close a gripper. I have found that the bulk of the college kids I teach love the challenge. When they come back to rent the boats after they complete a class many ask to give it another shot. I've seen someone get air off my blob50 with no chalk. We have several sailing challenges that we bring to campus to publicize the classes that are a big hit. We often have a 10 minute wait to get on the "hiking bench challenge." So I think offering someone a challenge if done in a positive way is not weird.

On numerous occasions I've offered my #2 COC to folks at work in addition to family gatherings and nobody has ever come close. One man did get it a little over halfway, but that's it. Both of my younger brothers lift weights and neither could close the #2 the first time. My middle brother, who plays/practices guitar (and has hard hands) closed the #1 easily the first time. These grippers have baffled and stumped even some of the most dedicated gym rats---even some famous name bodybuilders.

I find it hard to beleive that people find it so rare to find guys that can close the #2 without training. I have met quite a few.

And a couple have even closed the Grand Master, no training.

I think I have had 2-3 people close my two with no training. Closing a GM without training, if it is like mine, would closing a stout #3 no training.

I think average untrained is between the T and 1.

Edited by Bearcat 74