Ivanko Gripper Devils Advocate And The Formulator

Bill Piche

I bought the Formulator last month and I love it, what a pump! Now I'm thinking about buying a ISG, or should I spend the extra $80 and get the DA? :help

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rick Browne

• gerryg

• Dude

I really like it. The sharp knurled handles are just what it needed if you ask me. John has made simple devices for chokers too for it.

One thing I wanted to add is that the formulator and the isg have helped my sweep as Bill mentioned earlier in this thread. . .

Austin

I can really only think of one good reason not to buy them - if I spend any more money on grip toys before Christmas - my wife will kill me! But I am allowed to ask for grip stuff for Christmas LOL

Damn, i was a little hesitant about the ISG because I didnt think it'd feel anything like a gripper at all. But seeing that video with the handles it looked exactly like it as far as the motion and feel (just guessing). What's the spread with the handles resting, like measuring a gripper? I only have t-#3 so I oughta invest in this thing instead of buying 30 other grippers from every company like I want to and grab the DA.

For those that have used it how does it stack up to a gripper? Like if you had it set on the poundage of say a IM #3 and tried the DA and then the #3 is there a large difference?

Like if you had it set on the poundage of say a IM #3

Grippers vary so to even know what this "poundage" is doesn't make sense IMO. You'll would have to "feel" and match the spring setting to your own #3. :)

Grippers vary so to even know what this "poundage" is doesn't make sense IMO. You'll would have to "feel" and match the spring setting to your own #3. :)

gotcha. Looking at it again the knurled handles are only halfway around the gripping part right? Does it feel a lot like a gripper in your hand with the handle thickness?

It looks cheaper to buy an ISG and have them modify it then buy it new from PDA.

gotcha. Looking at it again the knurled handles are only halfway around the gripping part right? Does it feel a lot like a gripper in your hand with the handle thickness?

It looks cheaper to buy an ISG and have them modify it then buy it new from PDA.

They are not half way around. They go fully around.

The way I read the Info on PDA`s web about trade-ins and modifying an ISG,

is that the ISG must be purchased from PDA originally. Correct? or no?

The way I read the Info on PDA`s web about trade-ins and modifying an ISG,

is that the ISG must be purchased from PDA originally. Correct? or no?

damn I think so, in both sections where it talks about the trade-in it says

"Already have an IG purchased from PDA and just want the knurled handles put on?"

i guess that ya gotta do it that way.

I cant find any reason NOT to buy it now. Gonna have to throw it on the christmas agenda if I can wait that long.

I cant find any reason NOT to buy it now. Gonna have to throw it on the christmas agenda if I can wait that long.

You will not regret it!

Damn, i was a little hesitant about the ISG because I didnt think it'd feel anything like a gripper at all. But seeing that video with the handles it looked exactly like it as far as the motion and feel (just guessing). What's the spread with the handles resting, like measuring a gripper? I only have t-#3 so I oughta invest in this thing instead of buying 30 other grippers from every company like I want to and grab the DA.

For those that have used it how does it stack up to a gripper? Like if you had it set on the poundage of say a IM #3 and tried the DA and then the #3 is there a large difference?

Not quite the same poundages. I was closing the ISG on 9/12 (323 pounds) and when I finally got the COC#3 (280 pounds) I was in for a big surprise! I could only get it down to 1/4 inch. This was partially due to the fact that over the 2 years that I had used the ISG, I only used it with the pivot down. This placed most of the force on my index and middle finger, opposite to a spring gripper that paces most of the force on the ring and pinkie fingers. :D

My ISG on equivalent poundage setting (280lbs) is MUCH harder than my 3..MUCH!! My three is a 2004 #3 with a 2 3/4 spread..last year considered brutal.

Plus you were using the outer grip. 9/12 on an outer grip is 226lbs.

If your hand is close to the pivot pin so you are only closing 1" or so, your poundage is much greater than far off the pin. 10/12 with an outer or far from the pivot pin grip is 241lbs. To me it is still harder than a #3.

Whats the difference in Formualtor than just doing wrist curls with a barbell or dumbell? I do wrist curl a barbells and dumbells it works great for me.

Is there a way to close the ISG at say the 280 setting on a scale and compare that to a #3 pressed on a scale. I truly believe the ISG even at the weaker setting is harder than the #3. I'm gonna try this right now!!

Ok couldn't do it without the ISG constantly slipping off the scale as I pressed down..would be interesting to know though..

Whats the difference in Formualtor than just doing wrist curls with a barbell or dumbell? I do wrist curl a barbells and dumbells it works great for me.

The formulator holds the weight out farther from your hand which increases the torque so less weight can be used to greater effect..secondly it eliminates the thumb component, especially on the extensions allowing more weight to be used for that exercise. I believe the formulator has a 4 to 1 ratio...so that using 20 lbs for extensions on it would equal the same as using 80lbs with a dumbbell.

The formulator holds the weight out farther from your hand which increases the torque so less weight can be used to greater effect..secondly it eliminates the thumb component, especially on the extensions allowing more weight to be used for that exercise. I believe the formulator has a 4 to 1 ratio...so that using 20 lbs for extensions on it would equal the same as using 80lbs with a dumbbell.

Also the angles on the handle are easier on the wrists for many people

Is the formulator worth getting for and armwrestler like myself? Does it have good carry over.....cause I could see myself gettting one sometime.....

Does it have good carry over

Carry over to what?

Get stronger overall, then practice the skills of your sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill- I see what you are getting at here (ie you can't do something that looks like a sports movement), and I think you mentioned it in another thread.

Carryover is very important for me in training though, in a very specific manner- Does improvements in X correlate in any manner to improvements in Y?

For example, you could get tremendously stronger in Tricep Kickbacks but not improve at all in the benchpress. While this is a relatively ludicrous example, more "common sense" things seem to be hit and miss depending on individual leverage and individual weaknesses or stage of development.

When I look at a new grip exercise, I want to know if improvements in that exercise have carried over to others.