What To Bend Next?

JDarty6173

I just got into bending about 3 weeks ago.. I started out with 3/16" CRS and worked my way down to 5" inch bars. Next I moved onto 1/4" CRS and have now worked my way down to 6" bars.

So I was wondering what bending progression I should look at now? Should I work my way down to 5" x 1/4" CRS bars? Or maybe find some Grade 5 bolts to work on? I just want a good progression to help me get to the IM red nail....

Thanks guys....

I just got into bending about 3 weeks ago..  I started out with 3/16" CRS and worked my way down to 5" inch bars.    Next I moved onto 1/4" CRS and have now worked my way down to 6" bars. 

So I was wondering what bending progression I should look at now?  Should I work my way down to 5" x 1/4" CRS bars?    Or maybe find some Grade 5 bolts to work on?    I just want a good progression to help me get to the IM red nail....

Thanks guys....

Not to give you a short answer but try the search feature, there should be a couple threads with progression charts of sorts in there somewhere.

Bend anything that is a challenge. Bend 5" 1/4 CRS, get yourself some grade 5 bolts, they will really help your crushdown. Also if you want to get your hands on a few 60 penny nails that would also be good. A box of Timber Ties is a good warmup and is cheaper than CRS.

I have actually used the search function quite alot in the past few weeks learning all I could.. I just wanted some direct opinions which I greatly appreciate.. This board is great...

I just purchased a couple pounds of 60D nails at Lowes, but most of them seem to have a slight bend to them.. Must have been a defective batch or something. Speaking of Lowes, their grade 5s only went up to 6" inches. Guess I'll look around elsewhere or just order some... And I haven't been able to find timber ties yet either... Oh well.... At least I can find CRS and HRS a plenty....

Try 60D common nails, not the galvanized ones. Try 1/4" grade 5 at 6". For the CRS continure to cut them down 1/4" at a time. Make sure to go slow and do some volume at each level and you can work your way up to harder and harder steel.

PM me if you have some specific questions that you need answered. Good luck.

My advice to you is to do whatever gamidon says with regards to bending.

In my above post I actually meant that the Grade 5 bolts at Lowes only went up to 4" inches, not 6 inches.. Little typo there.....

Lowes did not have 60D common nails.. Just the galvanized that were in the big bin.. There were actually mixed in there with some 8 and 10 inch spikes.. Kinda unorganized I thought...

And gamidon, I may just take you up on your offer to help as I progress.. Thanks..