How Much Harder Is Zinc Plated?

toshindo

I just got some 1/4" round steel to try bending with my new IM pads. $2.50 for 72" long BTW. I cut off a 7" piece and decided to give it a go. I ended up putting a slight bend in it (maybe 5/8" off center) even with bracing against my leg. I looked at the tag on the rest of the bar and it said "Zinc Plated". I know I'm new to bending, and very well may be a giant vagina, but I was wondering how much harder Zinc plating makes it? Is it a huge difference or just a little bit? Thanks everyone.

To-Shin Do

i found zinc plated to be easy.

see if they have anything that says hrs if you want to find something hard.

i bought some 1/4 hrs and it was just rediculous.

I just got some 1/4" round steel to try bending with my new IM pads.  $2.50 for 72" long BTW.  I cut off a 7" piece and decided to give it a go.  I ended up putting a slight bend in it (maybe 5/8" off center) even with bracing against my leg.  I looked at the tag on the rest of the bar and it said "Zinc Plated".  I know I'm new to bending, and very well may be a giant vagina, but I was wondering how much harder Zinc plating makes it?  Is it a huge difference or just a little bit?  Thanks everyone.

To-Shin Do

The zinc plating, if it does affect the strength, will do so only marginally. It's the steel itself which determines the strength, and in addition to the CRS/HRS designation there's other factors at play. Carbon content, the type of alloys present, and how it was cooled, etc. all make a difference.

Unless you've tried the particular piece of steel in question, it's a good deal of guesswork determining the strength.

Well, I bought two sections, so I'm going to take the virgin one back to the store and see if they have a smaller diameter. I'll keep working on the one I have until I bend that bastard. It's right here next to the comp, "Oh, look at me, I'm hardly bent at all. I'm only a 1/4 ", what's wrong with you? Pansy."

I don't like that piece of steel. Victory will be mine! :rock Eventually.

To-Shin Do

i found zinc plated to be easy.

see if they have anything that says hrs if you want to find something hard.

i bought some 1/4 hrs and it was just rediculous.

I have not noticed any difference between my 3/16" HRS and PLAT STL (zinc plated). I bought some HRS 1/4" and tried a 6" piece and couldn't budge it yet, though I am new to bending. I bought some 3/16" at Lowe's that was labelled CR, but it felt the same to bend as the HRS stock, and looks identical, though I guess that doesn't mean anything. I just kind of figured it was labelled wrong, as I thought CR is supposed to be much harder and brittle

Just keep at it. The first time I tried to bend 1/4" it kicked my ass. Now it's easy. Like all the feats you will get better with time.

-HH

Zinc plating is used for its corrosiveness properties.Zinc plating,such as clear,yellow,olive drab.Are also used for identification purposes.They are just added dyes.

Grade 5's and 8's are annealed steel.Which are heat treated to a certian temp.with gases,and made with higher grade alloy content.