Bending Accident - Kind Of

John Beatty

While cutting/grinding the stuff for orders that came in this week, I discovered that you cannot stop a 1/3 horse grinding wheel with your finger, even if you wedge it between the grinding wheel & the guard. what does happen is you lose skin (all of it) all the way down to the red meaty stuff. Glad it wasn't 1/2" farther down my finger, though, or I'd have been grinding bone on the knuckle. Needless to say, this delays my training on the left hand, because if I squeeze anything, it starts bleeding. Isn't it amazing how crap like this always happens at the start of a project?

Shit ..that sucks. Ouch, I used to do a lot of work around machine shops.

I remember that crap happening to me...most times, in my case, I wasn't

paying full attention and whammo...it gets your attention real fast.

Clean it good and use antibiotic ointments right away!

I would avoid picking your nose for a while too. For safety's sake. :happy

I would avoid picking your nose for a while too. For safety's sake.

Yeah, especially with the grinder.

-Jedd-

lose skin (all of it) all the way down to the red meaty stuff. Glad it wasn't 1/2" farther down my finger, though, or I'd have been grinding bone on the knuckle. Needless to say, this delays my training on the left hand, because if I squeeze anything, it starts bleeding.

You should have a nurse look at that. :cool

While cutting/grinding the stuff for orders that came in this week, I discovered that you cannot stop a 1/3 horse grinding wheel with your finger, even if you wedge it between the grinding wheel & the guard.

John - you're just not applying yourself - you have to try harder! Throw a foot in there!

Just kidding buddy, hope it heals fast man - that has to be painful :cry

Sheesh John sorry to hear that! I always knew those guards would be hazardous if you actually put them on the grinder.

See it as an opportunity......"be the first to own a limited edition Fat Bastard Blood Red Nail......once they're gone I won't make any more"

Ouch ! :(

Damn! I never thought about a special edition "blood red" nail. I was cutting 5/16 round. I actually wiped it off.

As to the nose picking/butt scratching, etc. I'm right handed & I ground down the index finger on the left. I did take the guard off for safety's sake.

You should have a nurse look at that. :cool

A nurse looked at it immediately & swore profusely while jumping around a bit. :D

Sorry to hear about your injury. If it makes you feel any better my Dad was running a chainsaw all day long several years ago and wasn't thinking and pulled out a piece of wood that was stuck in it without turning it off....well much like your incident, his finger wouldn't stop the chainsaw and it took all the way through. The top of his finger was literally dangling by a thread of skin and had to be reattached. His nail still grows in with a deep groove down the middle of it.

what does happen is you lose skin (all of it) all the way down to the red meaty stuff.

:yikes That is horrifying. I'm glad you can joke about it--made my knees go weak just to read it. Those power tools aren't exactly subtle about reasserting their hold on your attention are they?. Heal fast, and then go bend the grinder shaft.

I come from a roofing family. Pretty much if something wasn't hanging by a thread, you just slapped on a bandaid & went back to work. Really it only hurt a lot when I washed it. Amazing how water feels like acid if the cut is deep enough. Then throbbed for about 5 min & it was fine. The only thing that's a pain is since all the skin is gone, it'll probably take 3-4 weeks to fill in the missing flesh & heal completely. This is, of course, going to make training for the Snowman 1180lb & 1350 lb tire a bit tougher.