Double Underhand Style

FrankyBoy

How far should a kink be so that the whole bend may be considered as a legimate double underhand bend?

May sound silly, but since you usually switch to DO after a certain kink is reached,

each DO bend may be considered as a DU bend with no prekink?

Or the other way:

I lately bent a Blue nail even is the prekink was much less than the one on easier (and longer) nails: about 15 degrees compared to the usual 30 degrees.

:help I'm confused.

:help I'm confused.

Me too :D - I think the most important thing is that the nail is bent... :happy

I'm wanted to have a difference to the so-called folding style.

Using a very small prekink there no difference between DO and DU.

Folding is difficult to guard against unless you regulate wrapping material. For the 2005 European, one proposal is to allow only a two piece standard cloth (everyone using the same material), wrapped without double folding it. The cloths should be wide enough so their ends are not covered by the hand, but short and thin enough to prevent extreme pectoral pressure to be applied to the ends of the bar. This would effectively eliminate extreme folding and make bending more of a wrist strength challenge.

Mikael:

Is folding possible using DU?

I don't think so!

So my original intention was: How far MUST a nail be kinked DU so that the following DO crushdown can't be considered as folding anymore.

I should add that I plan to attend the europeans. :inno

Mikael:

Is folding possible using DU?

I don't think so!

So my original intention was: How far MUST a nail be kinked DU so that the following DO crushdown can't be considered as folding anymore.

Folding is always going to be part of double overhand to some extent. I am not against it as such as long as it is not taken to extreme levels. The so called "pistol grip" should be virtually impossible to perform with careful selection of wrapping material and wrapping regulations. Extreme folding is too painful and dangerous to perform if you use simple wrapping with a short and thin piece of cloth.

I should add that I plan to attend the europeans.  :inno

I noted that Florian Kellersman did not attend the German competition. You can probably not count on having more than two German competitors in the 2005 Europeans, considering the 2004 Europeans results. Are you going to have any more qualifying competitions, providing Florian (the best German in the 2004 European) with a second chance to qualify?

I'd say if you put any noticable kink in it DU then it was started DU then chest crushed. To maybe be more impressive or the answer you are looking for, I would say around 45deg. Get it to 30-45deg and you for sure did the hard part DU.

Why isn't folding possible with DU? I know its not to the same extent as DO but I am placing the ends of the bar in about the same position as in DO and also am pushing the ends of the bar into my hands while starting it DU.

But I really don't see a point to this folding\non folding issue. Just bend in a manner that works best for you and your build. No one method is more cheating than any other. The point is to just bend the nail. Not bend the nail using only my wrist strength or bend the nail with only my chest strength. Some people have and advantage one way and others using a different method.

Thanks Mike,

that was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'd say if you put any noticable kink in it DU then it was started DU then chest crushed.  To maybe be more impressive or the answer you are looking for, I would say around 45deg.  Get it to 30-45deg and you for sure did the hard part DU.

Flo competed at the EGC due to Thomas' injury and my recommendation on him.

The german competitors of the last EGC were the first two of the germans of 2003.

The first two of this years germanns were Thomas and me.

To answer your question:

We were thinking of making a second qualification closer to the events at the

europeans. But there are several points not fixed yet.

I should add that I plan to attend the europeans.  :inno

I noted that Florian Kellersman did not attend the German competition. You can probably not count on having more than two German competitors in the 2005 Europeans, considering the 2004 Europeans results. Are you going to have any more qualifying competitions, providing Florian (the best German in the 2004 European) with a second chance to qualify?

The issue is that at the next EGC folding may not be allowed.

Mikael answered it with the allowed wrapping.

So I have to check it out on my own using this wrapping.

Why isn't folding possible with DU? I know its not to the same extent as DO but I am placing the ends of the bar in about the same position as in DO and also am pushing the ends of the bar into my hands while starting it DU.

But I really don't see a point to this folding\non folding issue. Just bend in a manner that works best for you and your build. No one method is more cheating than any other. The point is to just bend the nail. Not bend the nail using only my wrist strength or bend the nail with only my chest strength. Some people have and advantage one way and others using a different method.

But I really don't see a point to this folding\non folding issue. Just bend in a manner that works best for you and your build.

Obviously, you have to bend according to the rules in a competition. I believe you when you say that you don't see the point of arguing about folding vs non-folding.

I think 30-45 degrees qualifies as a legitimate kink to me.

Hi there FrankyBoy. I´m one of those who bend tougher steel with an DU grip and then switch to DO to finish it of. I bend the steel rather far before I change my grip. Mostly I bend it to the point where I can lock my fingers for the final crushdown or to the point where my own hands get in they way, preventing me from bending it further with an DU grip.

Due to a weakness in the my left wrist (accident '03) which forbids to do the reverse style or DO which thouching knuckles I must use DU.

why not just do the the DO style with your knuckles touching if you want to avoid folding?

why not just do the the DO style with your knuckles touching if you want to avoid folding?

Knuckles touching has nothing to do with the bending rules for the 2005 Europeans.

Knuckles touching has nothing to do with the bending rules for the 2005 Europeans.

well, the topic wasn't about rules for some contest in europe and neither was my post.

well, the topic wasn't about rules for some contest in europe and neither was my post.

Frank wrote: I should add that I plan to attend the europeans.