Reverse Curls

kelby

i would not take advice from that man. i dont even know him but his "physic" is, how shall i say,nothing to be proud of.

You have got to kidding! If you do not know who he is, you would do well

to...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• king crusher

• toshindo

• Rick Browne

• tspinillo

Toshindo, I am confused, why do you do your hammer curls this way?  Comfort?  Strength?

I hold it like that to keep the bell off balance in my hand. Therefore it works my arm better when I pronate and supinate. I based my workout on this one:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459981

The pics in it show what the grip looks like.

To-Shin Do

ive herd of him but never really paid attention to him?

in the pic, the guy is doing a curl. its the only pic i have to base my assumtions on.

a curl is mainly for biceps size,so he must want to increse size as well.

which,by the looks of it,hes not doing a very good job.

these are my opinions,and no one elses.

everyone has there own,and thats what makes a board a fun place to be.

how does one come to there opinion? from learning along the way.

ive changed some of my views by seeing what others have said on here and maybe mine will help others see another point of you.

some may think i come of harsh,well thats just me.

i speak my mind.

alot of people think things,and wish they could say them and dont?

i dont have to admire everyone. the guy looks horrible to me,maybe not to others but to each his own. thats it

ive herd of him but never really paid attention to him?

in the pic, the guy is doing a curl. its the only pic i have to base my assumtions on.

a curl is mainly for biceps size,so he must want to increse size as well.

which,by the looks of it,hes not doing a very good job.

these are my opinions,and no one elses.

everyone has there own,and thats what makes a board a fun place to be.

how does one come to there opinion? from learning along the way.

ive changed some of my views by seeing what others have said on here and maybe mine will help others see another point of you.

some may think i come of harsh,well thats just me.

i speak my mind.

alot of people think things,and wish they could say them and dont?

i dont have to admire everyone. the guy looks horrible to me,maybe not to others but to each his own. thats it

Well you are correct about one thing anyway; one does not go to

John Brookfield for physique advice and I am sure he would not

want to give it :) .

But if one wants to seek advice on developing a high level of hand

strength, Brookfield might just be able to help a person out :whistel

Also, if you read the text of the curl picture, Brookfield is giving an

explanation for a "grip" exercise by curling a long bar.

Well, I know he can tear multiple packs of cards, down to quarters I believe. He's taken a 20 foot rod of steel and rolled up into a duffel bag. He can bust open closed pop cans. He's tossed a 50lb Blob back and forth, although I thought I read he was trying a 75lb one too. He can break keys and crack open walnuts with his hands. I'm sure there's more, but that's all that's on the top of my head.

http://www.samsonscroll.com/high_speed.htm

Buy, Mastery of Hand Strength... If you "grip" you should at least heard of Brookfield.

He is one of the legends of grip... He has his own views and takes (some not taken/receivd well) but, he along with IM have increased grip awarness ~ten fold.

BTW, a good hammer curl with a barbell is to use two towels and loop them around the barbell (one in each hand) and then you can hammer curl and the thicker the towel the more grip needed. Compliments of JB.

-Keith

For reverse curls, I prefer Kbells. Sometimes I do them thumbs only (fingers held straight up) to work the thumbs harder.

Toshindo, thanks for the link. That looks to be a productive exercise. I do a similar form with a lever bar for hammer curls. I like doing these both one and two handed. I do the pronation/supination separately, though, because I'm much stronger in the hammer curl than the pro/sup movement.

King Crusher - Brookfield was the 2nd person to ever officially close the #3 gripper way back in 1992. He is also one of the first people to have lifted the blob, and was the first to bend the red nail (although I don't think he certified officially with ironmind). JB has been on alot of "Ripleys Believe it or not" type shows doing grip strength feats. He holds alot of records like most 60D nails or decks of cards bent/ripped in a certain amount of time, and bending 60D nails w/ no wrapping. He also does alot of long bar bending it into small sculptures which he sells on his website. Right now he does alot of kettlebell work and does some showman strongman type stuff like balancing sledgehammers on his chin. Basically he is just a guy with very strong hands who was one of the first to do alot of grip feats, and also one of the first modern guys to publish books on grip.

He's tossed a 50lb Blob back and forth, although I thought I read he was trying a 75lb one too. 

His blob tossing is not from hand to hand with and overhand grip. It is throwing it up in the air from a palms up, much like you would flip up a baseball, and then catch it palms up in the crook of his arm. The 75lber he tossing is a concrete ball.

2nd. i would not take advice from that man. i dont even know him but his "physic" is, how shall i say,nothing to be proud of.

First the "Gene Rychlak is a disgusting slob" comment, now this.

It would be like posting on a bodybuilding forum and not knowing who Arnold Schwarzenegger is. Then saying you wouldn't listen to him anyway because he's never closed a #3 gripper or squatted 700 pounds. Seriously KC, if you haven't already you should check out some of the bodybuilding forums.

John Brookfield is one of the strongest men on this planet when it comes to hand and arm strength. Most people know this! And he is one of the most respected men in the business! Some people need to do their homework before they become so opinionated. Sometimes it's best to be quiet and learn instead of making a fool out of themselves.

Remember, this is The GripBoard! It's all about grip strength and John is one the best. Maybe some people need to move to the Bodybuilding sites. We're just fine with who we are here.

John Brookfield is still stronger today than most top bodybuilders half his age! This year at the Arnold, John Brookfield broke a chisel for me and handed it to me! This was a steel-forged chisel! He broke it in the over-hand bend movement. I have it on display in my gym.

Stop, Look and Listen before speaking, PLEASE!

Sixgun....

For reverse curls, I prefer Kbells.  Sometimes I do them thumbs only (fingers held straight up) to work the thumbs harder.

Toshindo, thanks for the link.  That looks to be a productive exercise. I do a similar form with a lever bar for hammer curls. I like doing these both one and two handed. I do the pronation/supination separately, though, because I'm much stronger in the hammer curl than the pro/sup movement.

No problem! I'm glad I found it, it's really put some size on my forearms. I wish I'd measured them before I started, so I could see exactly what the difference has been.

for you overly sensitive people, we were talking about HAMMER CURLS not GIRP STUFF.

LOOK AT WHAT THREAD YOUR POSTING IN. its a reverse curl thread.

thats for forearms. period.

not grip streght.

and if you go back and READ the WHOLE thread,insted of speaking out of context,then you would SEE what i sad is i would not take his advive when it comes to a SIZE TYPE LIFT.

his feats of grip stregth are impressive. but i, unlike you,have my own opinion on othewr areas of his build.

if it was him ripping cards or whatever i would not have said anything about his body.

but we were talking about forearm size,and he is lacking in it. so i was stating i would not take his advice on that.

why cant some people speak the good AND the bad?

so respond to this post. even though it would be pointless, as some of you did not read the whole thread i see. lol

Yes, it is very obvious that reverse curls and hammer curls do not work your grip. Richard Sorin said thumbless reverse curls made his grip the strongest. If your hands are weak you can still very easily hold on to the weight. Can you catch the sarcasm here? They are very grip involved, they work your hands and your forearms.

Another excellent post, you included that you have an opinion and the patented lol. Please keep up the good work by offering all the quailty training advice you so often do.........................

Try doing thumbless reverse curls with a 1 1/2 inch diameter bar or

better yet a 1 3/4 inch diameter bar. Your fingers will be screaming

when gripping that thickness of bar

if it was him ripping cards or whatever i would not have said anything about his body.

but we were talking about forearm size,and he is lacking in it. so i was stating i would not take his advice on that.

He is lacking forearm size. Have you met him? How tall is he?

Stick a fork in this thread.

T!

heath your a great grip guy, i respect you for that.

but reverse curls and hammer curls are not a spicific grip excesize.

my forarms burn for mercey long before my grip gives out on false grip reverse curls. and i go heavy.

and hammer curls are in almost no way a grip lift. you almost dont need a grip for them as your hand is resting on the bottom side of a dumbell.

judging by his pic he infact does not have good forearms.

Some ramblings about Brookfield:I've met him.He has small hands and small forearms.

Not that John Brookfiled would care....but he is not an impressive physical specimen to look at.

THAT I think is part of his popularity.He is 'everyman'(to look at)NOT some monster.

Some things he has written i find interesting...some i don't.

B)I sometimes question the validity of some of his reported feats....mainly because the grip board has made me more cautious in believing everything that is reported or written.

His feats have probably been done?but of course they wouldn't pass the scrutiny of the forum...in fact IF he reported these feats TODAY ??the thread would be closed and he'd be bombarded with questions.

Heavy Hammer curls,when done without straps,definitely work your grip.

Particularly 'cheat' hammer curls.The momentum during the arc of the curl makes the weight particularly hard to hold on.

I thought Brookfield was about 6ft.?or 6'1"?

He wasn't as tall as i was.

Oh...and he does NOT have 19 1/2" arms as stated in his book. :laugh:laugh Or not when I saw him :erm?

"question everything"Muldar.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Well, I thought he was in the 6ft + neighborhood

I would not want him to give me a forearm shive... :D

Hammer curls definitely pound the grip when thick (2+") dumbbells are used. I think I

got some carryover in slaying the Blob50.

T!

7.5" Hands

Some ramblings about Brookfield:I've met him.He has small hands and small forearms.

Not that John Brookfiled would care....but he is not an impressive physical specimen to look at.

THAT I think is part of his popularity.He is 'everyman'(to look at)NOT some monster.

Some things he has written i find interesting...some i don't.

B)I sometimes question the validity of some of his reported feats....mainly because the grip board has made me more cautious in believing everything that is reported or written.

His feats have probably been done?but of course they wouldn't pass the scrutiny of the forum...in fact IF he reported  these feats TODAY ??the thread would be closed and he'd be bombarded with questions.

Heavy Hammer curls,when done without straps,definitely work your grip.

Particularly 'cheat' hammer curls.The momentum during the arc of the curl makes the weight particularly hard to hold on.

He wasn't as tall as i was.

Oh...and he does NOT have 19 1/2" arms as stated in his book. :laugh  :laugh Or not when I saw him :erm?

"question everything"Muldar.

Its sort of like saying(and I've read this on the forum)that Wrist Roller isn't a grip exercise.

well it's NOT a grip 'specific' exercise- i guess people use it to build up their forearms and wrists? but the hands are involved.They are 'engaged' by this movement...as they are engaged or involved in the Hammer curls.

Not a big deal.... just how I see it.

If reverse curls do not work your grip and you work them

"heavy" try releasing the weight and watch what happens.