2004 November - Michigan Grip Championships - Bob Lipinski

Bob Lipinski

First of all, I want to thank everyone who made this contest possible. Don Larkin provided an excellent venue, filled with tons of grip toys and he was just a wealth of information and history of the iron game. Also, thanks to our sponsors, Heavy Grips Handgrippers and Fat Bastard Barbell company for sponsoring the contest twice in a row. They provide excellent products, and both companies are committed to sponsoring strength events and helping grip strength events grow. And finally, thanks to Brian Admunsen, Paula Lipinski, and Mikaela Halsey for their work in organizing and administrating the contest- Especially Mikaela, who was asked to help at the help at the last minute.

First up was the gripper event, courtest of Heavy Grips Handgrippers. The contestants ran through the heavy grips lineup until they failed, and then had two attempts on other grippers.

1. Bob Lipinski- HG400, Hard#3 (won tiebreaker)

2. Jeff Flynn- HG400, hard#3

3. Taylor Wilson- HG400, easy#3 (won tiebreaker)

4. Jesse Reimann- HG300, easy#3

5. Dave Thorton- HG400 (won tiebreaker)

6. Mark Riddle- HG400

7. Greg Theologes- HG300

8. Brian Admunsen- HG250, Narrow Grandmaster

9. Cash Scott- HG250, Narrow Supermaster

10. Steve Shafley- HG250

11. Jim Theologes- HG250

12. Dan Dasko- HG250

13. Chris Guhl- HG 200

Jeff Flynn and I repeated our 1-2 placing of last year, though the results were closer this time. I was off top gripper form, but managed to eke by with a tiebreaker. No one managed to close the HG500, in fact no one was even close! The HG400 went down a few times however, and a majority of the field managed the HG300. Taylor Wilson was perhaps most improved- He worked hard and it showed with a 3rd place finish

Next was the Fat Bastard Pinch block, a 30 pound beast. A great piece of equipment.

1. Dave Thorton

2. Cash Scott

3. Jesse Reimann

4. Jeff Flynn

5. Dan Dasko

6. Mark Riddle

7. Bob Lipinski

8. Brian Admunsen

9. Taylor Wilson

10. Jim Theologes

10. Greg Theologes

12. Chris Guhl

12. Steve Shafley

Thi event was a close battle between Dave and Cash (who is 17 years old by the way!) which had to be settled by a tiebreaker. Both managed 125 pounds in the event, with Dave winning a hold for time with a lighter weight. Jesse Reimann dug out 3rd, and Jeff Flynn came in 4th with a suprisingly improved pinch.

Bending was up next. Again, Jeff Flynn and I went 1-2, with Jesse getting a very strong 3rd.

1. Jeff Flynn- Kinked red

2. Bob Lipinski- Grade 8

3. Jesse Reimann- Hard 60d, kinked grade 8

4. Mark Riddle- Hard 60d

5. Dave Thorton- Easy 60d

6. Taylor Wilson- Easy 60d

7. Steve Shafley- Easy 60d

8. Brian Admunsen- Grade 2 6"

8. Cash Scott- Grade 2 6"

10. Chris Guhl- Grade 2 6"

11. Greg Theologes- Timber tie

11. Jim Theologes

Jeff went straight to the red, and got a 45-90 degree bend or so. I conceded defeat. Jesse put a wicked dent in the grade 8, and Mark gets "Most Improved" for getting the hard 60d, which is right around the level of a grade 5 bolt. I kind of regret showing Mark how to bend a month before the contest now! All in all, the bending is where people showed the most improvement from last year.

Next up was the Fat Bastard Crusher, the 3 inch variety.

1. Brian Admunsen- 140

2. Mark Riddle- 135

3. Jesse Reimann- 130

4. Dave Thorton- 125

5. Bob Lipinski- 110

6. Jeff Flynn- 107.5

7. Steve Shafley- 105

8. Cash Scott- 90

8. Jim Theologes- 90

8. Tayor Wilson- 90

11. Greg Theologes- 85

11. Chris Guhl- 85

Brian Admunsen won this, and though he claims no grip training prior to the contest, his home gym was littered with grip toys. Mark gave him a run for his money, and eventually the competition became so heated that both had to put down their beer. Jesse Reimann continued his consistent performance, and Michigan's Strongest hands was close behind.

35 pound york block hold for time was the final event. To show you how close it was, going into the event, the standings were-

1. Jesse Reimann, 31 points

1. Jeff Flynn, 31 points

2. Dave Thorton, 29 points

2. Bob Lipinski, 29 points

3. Mark Riddle, 26 points

The final event:

1. Mark Riddle, 45.25 seconds

2. Dave Thorton, 37.28 seconds

3. Cash Scott, 37.06 seconds

4. Greg Theologes, 20.66 seconds

5. Brian Admunsen, 20.38 seconds

6. Taylor Wilson, 18 seconds

7. Jeff Flynn, 16.41 seconds

8. Jesse Reimann, 16.38 seconds

9. Bob Lipinski, 14.91 seconds

10. Steve Shafley, 13.72 seconds

11. Chris Guhl, 9.4 seconds

12. Jim Theologes, 8.34 seconds

While this event didn't change the top 5, it shook things up quite a bit! Check out the tiny difference between Jeff and Jesse!

The final standings:

1. Still Michigan's Strongest Hands, Dave Thorton

2. Mark "Grip Mongloid" Riddle

3. Jeff Flynn

4. Jesse Reimann

5. Bob Lipinski

6. Brian "I don't train grip" Admunsen

7. Cash Scott

8. Taylor "Captain of Crush" Wilson

9. Greg Theologes

10. Steve Shafley

11. Dan Dasko

12. Jim Theologes

13. Chris Guhl

Again, thanks for the support for everyone who made this contest possible. At first I had to coerce my friends into going, but I think we have had a good enough time in the last two contests that this thing can keep on going.

A final note- While Jim Theologes's 12th place performance may not seem especially impressive, he is only 15 years old! This kid will be a monster when he gets older. He hung with the adults on most of the lifts, and beat perpetual whipping boy for the senior citizens/junior lifters, Steve Shalfey, in one of the events. Steve vows to begin strength training to prepare for next year's event!

..eventually the competition became so heated that both had to put down their beer.

:laugh

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to write it up Bob! Wish I could have been there.

Jon@han

Very nice report, Bob.

Great turnout!

You know things are getting serious when a beer has to put down.

Thanks for all your hard work, Bob!

By the way, who among the group are Gripboard members!

Excellent job for you personally and great report...thanks :D

Eric,

Myself, Jeff Flynn (AP), Greg Theologes (Ironorr), Jesse Reimann (Incidium), Steve Shafley and Bob are Gripboard members. Brian Amundsen, Taylor Wilson, and I think Mark Riddle have also been on the Board in the past.

Taylor certified on the #3 for IM before the contest, making it look easy.

Correction on my last post. Greg Theologes doesn't post under (Ironorr) Sorry, I had mixed the two up.