Cast Your Vote!

EricMilfeld

Please vote as to whether a time limit should be imposed on Gripboard certification bends. Do so by responding in this thread to the following points:

1) Yes or No to a time limit?

2)How much of a time limit?

3)Should the time limit be applied to all Gripboard certified bends, or only those requiring video (grd 5's shorter than 5", grd 8's shorter than 5.5", 5/16" thick grd 5's at 7" and shorter, and Red's shorter than 6")?

I'll leave this open for 72 hours. Here's my vote:

1)Yes

2)2 minutes

3)Applicable to all certification bends

By the way, all currently recognized certification bends will remain valid. I like a three minute rule as it provides plenty of time to fight out a tough bend without being rushed, and yet not so lengthy as to call for a ridiculously long videotape. I think the vast majority of guys have done there best bends within this time frame anyways.

i don't think there is a need for a limit.

people who have that DO folding style down have taken down reds in seconds.

not that everyone does that style, but i haven't seen a video where it took someone more than a couple minutes to bend something.

I think the 1 minute rule should apply. I believe that if a bend takes 2-3 minutes you are only a few workouts away from getting it under a minute. IM rule is 1 minute.

Greg

Yes

1 minute

For all bends

I think that you should be able to do all your bends for certification in 1 minute or less, if you cant then you are simply not ready to cert. I have done all of my toughest bends in 1 minute or less when it was being videotaped for any reason, in regular training then it is fine to go over 1 minute but for certification or video of any kind it should be 1 minute or less. If you can bend a piece of steel in 3 minutes or less you will be able to get it down to 1 minute or less if you work hard enough on it, I think this rule would really set the men apart from the boys and make bending even more competative than it already is.

It has to be 1 minute, if it is over 3 minutes, then that means you really cant even bend the nail. I fully agree with Shrug

1) Yes

2) 2 minutes

3) Only those requiring video

I think 1 minute is saying you have 1 shot only at the crush down and if you're 1/16th" short you're screwed.

I'd vote two minutes. One minute's ok, but if you need to re-wrap or something, it can get hectic. We had 2 minutes @ Strong Arm Tactics, and it felt very reasonable. Gives you a chance to take a short breather and come back on it, but not so long that it becomes two seperate events (starting and finishing)

You should not need a breather at the level of certification and if you need to re-wrap, tough luck. Suck it up and train harder and then certify at a later date and totally own the bitch, dont make excuses like saying you had to re-wrap or I was 1/16" short, that should not cut it in the world of competative bending. I stand at my vote for 1 minute, no one ever said bending steel was easy.

Yes

3 min

All cert bends.

Only reason I would say the longer time, and not 1 min. is that it is not always easy for people to get access to video, etc. I would hate to waste somebodys time and be short on a big bend and not get credit just cause it took 75 sec to bend it. The nail was straight, now its bent. The only reason for the time limit is to be reasonable with everybodys time (witness, video, verifiers, etc). If you haven't got it within 3 min its fair to say you won't get it, but if you have a screw up or something you could easily go over a minute. I could live with 2 min as well.

You should not need a breather at the level of certification and if you need to re-wrap, tough luck. Suck it up and train harder and then certify at a later date and totally own the bitch, dont make excuses like saying you had to re-wrap or I was 1/16" short, that should not cut it in the world of competative bending. I stand at my vote for 1 minute, no one ever said bending steel was easy.

Exactly my point :bow

If it only takes a minute you need to move up to something tougher. I say two minutes of gut busting, eyes poping out, dreanched in sweat.

Put some effort into it. :angry:

Edited by GarytheDino

I agree with a time limit with a buffer zone. 2 minutes.

Great points raised by both those for one minute and those for longer time limits!! :)

Jon@han

You guys have swayed my vote. You'll note I edited my vote to a 2 minute time limit. Plenty of time for a mess-up or two, yet still demonstrates mastery of a nail, albeit a gut-busting mastery. :D

I'll vote for a 2 minute time limit for all bends.

No one wants to see a nail die over 10 minutes and 15 efforts but then 2 minutes gives you enough time to have a minor slip up and still kill the nail in a respectable time

I was someone who was 1/16" short of killing a 5.5" red at GGC in under 2 minutes. I couldn't quite get it, but it wouldn't have changed the final standings so I'm not losing any sleep over it. I spent the last minute crushing that last 1/16" to no avail. Another minute, 9, or 59 wouldn't have done me any good. Now, a nap and a shot of caffeine might have helped!

That being said, I vote no on the time limit. I don't like when rules try to creep into my training sessions that make what I do legit or not based on what everyone else thinks. If I spend 30 minutes on a bend and finish it, that to me is a more worthwhile feat than simply blowing through a bend in 10 seconds. And if you put the two nails side by side, I bet you big dinero that you couldn't tell which was bent faster. The best bends I've ever done were never completed in under 2 minutes, and some took weeks between attempts. Heck, I've got stuff sitting around my computer at 90 degrees that I will probably not crush down until Christmas.

Time limits in contests are one thing and I have no problem with that, but trying a PR bend with your friends while on video to get recognition from the Gripboard, there shouldn't be a time limit on that.

No time limit but the nail must never leave the sight line of the camera. I think this would eliminate people working on nails for days or weeks at a time. If you bend it in 1 minute or 20 minutes, the nail is still bent. If the individual has the guts to stick it out rather than give up then I say give them credit for the bend. I'd put a time limit on it as far as posting the video. For example, if you want your video posted then it has to be done in "x" amount of time.

There has to be a time limit, the videos we are talking about are going to be reviewed. If it takes you 30 minutes to bend it keep training until it takes less than the allotted time limit. Who wants to watch a bunch of half hour bends to determine if they are valid?? Who wants to download a 1/2 hour bendathon?

There has to be a time limit, the videos we are talking about are going to be reviewed.  If it takes you 30 minutes to bend it keep training until it takes less than the allotted time limit.  Who wants to watch a bunch of half hour bends to determine if they are valid??  Who wants to download a 1/2 hour bendathon?

Good points... Require videos of more than "x" number of minutes to be in VHS format and they'll be sent directly to the verifier. In VHS format you can fast-forward in the play mode and still tell that no violations are taking place. Maybe you can do this in other formats as well, but the VHS would eliminate the downloading problem and allow long videos to be viewed in a short amount of time.

2 minutes

All bends