Bending With Paper

Devlin

I ordered some IM pads so I could get started bending. But something was going on with the mail and it was taking forever!!!! So, I started bending with newspaper. You have to roll it up hard, but it was working fine for a while (phonebook pages work good too). While using paper a couple of times the paper would break from the pressure, but it never hurt me.

Then other nite the unimaginable happened. I was attempting a Grade 8 over my knee and just as I was getting a good kink in it......BAMM......it went through the paper and my hand. OUCH!!

The damage is not good. I got a Tetnis shot and liquid stitches at the hospital (by the way, I didin't tell anyone what happend, I was a little embarrassed).

In retrospect, I wish I waited for the pads, because they came 2 days later. But the pads aren't doing me any good now because it is going to take a month for my hand to heal.

I am a little mad that my training has been postponed, but thats the price of stupidity.

See y'all at the SoCal Griptogether.....

Anyone on the board could had advised you not to use paper. I have seen a friend of mine attempt to do it and he punchered a nice hole in his palm. Remember guys, the urge to train must be subdued by the desire to be able to continue to train throughout a lifetime everyday.

Damn man, sorry to hear it. Keep it wrapped up tight and covered with neosporin and you'll be back on track in no time. I've heard of your bending-with-paper exploits before and thought it was pretty cool. We need to get you some leather pads!

Eh.. this fiasco went down at my house. We actually had leather pads here, but Devin was extolling the virtues of the newspaper, and had already bent a bunch of other stuff with it, and insisted on doing it "his way". Anyway after the hole in his hand, i made him a margarita (in other words handed him a glass half full of tequila, and a bottle of margarita mix to swig with the other hand)., and then we went out chasing more drinks all over town. Not a bad end to such a night.

UPDATE: I used Krazy Glue to keep my cut closed. And after 10 days it kept closed. I feel alot of scar tissue underneath the scab, but I think it will be fine.

It has been two weeks since the accident and I bent my first 40d today. Just a little bit of pain. I also closed the #2 with less pain, so I am going to stick with the grippers for at least another week.

Avoid paper, and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Devlin