What Are The Benefits Of Training Extensors?

cajunjay

Hi guys

Ive been grip training now for about 2 months im really enjoying it, ive been told by loads of members to train my extensors but why is this. Will they help out at all in lifting heavier block weights or crushing bigger grippers at all?

:blink

Your finger and wrist extensors isometric-ly (not sure that's a word) support the flexors during contractions. So, yes training your extensors wil help you lift bigger blocks and close bigger grippers.

There is also a hand health carryover. Muscle imbalance is never a good thing. Some believe that it is muscular imbalance that leads to carpal tunnel and other hand disfunctions. We don't just want strong hands. We want to be able to lft our coffee mugs without massive hand pain when we're 90.

Edited by Sean Dockery

Stupid question. How do you train the extensors?

Stupid question, maybe, but since you don't seem to know it is an important one. Be sure to use the search function on this topic but I will tell you that two common methods of extensor training are lifting an peanut butter jar with some weight in it (usually bent metal pieces) by extending your fingers out and lifting up from the inside of the jar and the other is jamming your arm into a bucket of sand and rapidly open and close your fist until your extensors are fried. Do not count out exercises like finger walking that work the side to side movement of your fingers.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

Also rubber bands on the outside of your closed fingers, then open to full extension

Take a 5-lb bucket.

Go the grocery store and buy many lbs of the cheap generic rice.

Put in 5lb Bucket.

Do your extensor work in the bucket.

I do not like the rubber band stuff. We all have our differences. I do recomend doing something for extensors and if rubber bands work well for you then keep at it. For me this works and I like it better...

Static/Isometric strengthening of extensors:

Posistion your arm like you are in mid curl with a DB...turn your palm faceing down...bend your wrist so finger tips are pointing down...approach a wall or similar until your finger tips/hand are against the wall... try to make your wrist strainght (but keep it bent *)... keep this effort for 10-30+secs. at about 50-90%+ max strength. Try to focus on having all pressure on the tips of the fingers or close. This will get the wrist and fingers some. Next one is keep wrist straight but, bend fingers at knuckles and repeat the description above. This will get the extensors. You can do this excercise anywhere. This has helped me not have any soreness in my elbow, forearm and is helping a lot with wrist and fingers too. I also do this per finger (one at a time) and also for wrist flexion and finger flexion. Always apply force. I have never had good results from just stretching without the muscles flexing. Each to their own though...

*I find isometrics in the stretched position have the most carryover for me.

I do this for 1-3 sets, 1-3x per day, 2-7 days per week.

-Keith

Take a 5-lb bucket.

Go the grocery store and buy many lbs of the cheap generic rice.

Put in 5lb Bucket.

Do your extensor work in the bucket.

I think its better to use sand, if possible. The reason is that its like hitting 2 birds with one stone. With sand, not only are you working your extensors, but toughening your skin. I have noticed from personal experience the skin on my hands has gotten thicker from sand blasting.

what about using your crush strength to train your extensors. make a fist and open your hand slowly while using your crush grip as resistence. it will give you a nasty extensor workout with a nice crush warm up.

note: people will give you really strange looks if the see you doing this, so do this one alone.