Photo

Question Regarding Finding Dumbbells

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jvance

jvance

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0 (both hands)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 10 Days
  • Local time: 12:20 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Chimp, why don't you start posting videos so that people can see you're actually working towards some of crazy goals you set. If you have then I apologize for not seeing... However, if you keep writing about off the wall and virtually impossible feats you plan on doing, without showing what you CAN do, the stronger veterans will write you off as a troll - some might already have. I wish you the best and if you're a genuine grip trainee, I hope you make good progress.

Remember, the GB is home to some of the strongest men on the planet, so a bit more discretion and decorum would go a long way :)

#42 OFFLINE   ImpGrip

ImpGrip

GripBoard Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 2 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 05:20 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:22 AM

I've had memberships to 4 different gyms as an adult, and worked out at several Power lifting Clubs in Michigan and Arizona.  Only Thorbecke's in Phoenix had dumbbells that big and as far as I've seen no one ever touched them.  Maybe they got used occasionally, but I think a set of dumbbell bars you could load to various weights of your choice would be so much more versatile and useful than just 2 huge 200 lb "widow makers" with a handle.

Anthony suggested the dumbbell handles from Iron Mind, and those do look nice, I don't have a set so I can't speak for their quality versus price point, but I just use Olympic size dumbbell handles I got at Play it Again Sports for $20 a piece, but then again I never put on more than 120 lbs and that involves using  25's which makes it a bit awkward.

is thorbeckes still around im in AZ and always looking for  good gyms and great equipment

also kinda off topic but how do you guys  do the heavy dumbell rows without your lower back hurting . i seem to have lost the technique or set up as recently whenever i do dumbell rows with the 120s at my gym  sad its the heaviest mine has :(  it just seems like ym lower back/sides are killing me and i cant find  the rigth set up

Edited by ImpGrip, 30 June 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   Frank Pizzo

Frank Pizzo

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • Local time: 01:20 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I've had memberships to 4 different gyms as an adult, and worked out at several Power lifting Clubs in Michigan and Arizona.  Only Thorbecke's in Phoenix had dumbbells that big and as far as I've seen no one ever touched them.  Maybe they got used occasionally, but I think a set of dumbbell bars you could load to various weights of your choice would be so much more versatile and useful than just 2 huge 200 lb "widow makers" with a handle.

Anthony suggested the dumbbell handles from Iron Mind, and those do look nice, I don't have a set so I can't speak for their quality versus price point, but I just use Olympic size dumbbell handles I got at Play it Again Sports for $20 a piece, but then again I never put on more than 120 lbs and that involves using  25's which makes it a bit awkward.

is thorbeckes still around im in AZ and always looking for  good gyms and great equipment

also kinda off topic but how do you guys  do the heavy dumbell rows without your lower back hurting . i seem to have lost the technique or set up as recently whenever i do dumbell rows with the 120s at my gym  sad its the heaviest mine has :(  it just seems like ym lower back/sides are killing me and i cant find  the rigth set up

I haven't lived in Arizona for quite a few years, but the best gyms in Phoenix then were Gorilla's and Thorbecke's (world's oldest powerlifting gym).  I'd recommend either of them.  Gorilla's is much more modern but Thorbecke's is just cool to lift at because its so historical and nostalgic.