xvx

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 7 Days
  • Local time: 01:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I think questions questions like "have you ever done strongman style training" and those pertaining to hand size would be good.

This is a good idea, but do you think it might be a problem for people who feel "misled" and end up with something way too easy or hard?  I guess there are always going to be people complaining about something anyways, as long as they know it's just a general guide it should be alright.

• Cannon likes this

#22 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 3 Months and 23 Days

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I mean, it's a good point, and when people email me and we try and figure out what is best these are the kinds of things we're talking about anyway.

What about "Do you have a good vertical jump?"

Something about the right kind of muscle fibers.

#23 OFFLINE   Royz

Royz

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 1 Month and 14 Days
  • Local time: 08:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

I mean, it's a good point, and when people email me and we try and figure out what is best these are the kinds of things we're talking about anyway.

What about "Do you have a good vertical jump?"

Something about the right kind of muscle fibers.

I'm not shure anything like that relates to handstrenght.

I think overall body strenght relates to handstrenght a little bit. I mean if you can deadlift 600lbs you can probably crush the #2. But there will also be people who can't deadlift 300lbs who can also crush the #2.

Two fun ones:

Can you easily bend a beercap between your thumb and indexfinger?

Can you crush a mentos between your thumb and indexfinger? (much harder than beercap)

#24 OFFLINE   Anthony C.

Anthony C.

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 1 Month and 18 Days
  • Local time: 02:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

The good thing is, if someone is just starting out with grippers, chances are they're not going to know how to professionally set a gripper and may not be looking for something they can MMS for one or two reps. When I first started, I only knew how to pick up a gripper and try to close it with basically no set. I waited till I could do about 10 CCS reps on a trainer before I progressed to the 1 (back then there was no point 5 and I didn't know BB grippers existed). So I think as long as the trainer and number 1 are in a beginner's set, they're going to be a happy customer.

• Cannon likes this

#25 OFFLINE   slazbob

slazbob

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 8 Months and 16 Days
  • Local time: 02:11 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

Sporting goods store grippers are always a good question... Everyone has tried them. Tho they have gotten much harder than they used to be.

That seems to be the easiest gauge.

#26 ONLINE   Mike Sharkey

Mike Sharkey

Red Roster & Official Bastard

• GB Contributor Level 2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 11 Months and 28 Days

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

I don't think you can ever have too light a gripper.  I think Chez starts light in his warmups, with a .5 or 1.  I start every time with the Trainer (Chez's) and if he asks for it back I will have to replace it immediately.  

Thus, I would say the first three grippers in any series is going to be useful to begin for anyone.  For instance, a Coc 5., 1, 1.5 or maybe a 2, a GHP 3,4, & 5.  If the person can close the Coc 2 or the GHP 5, he simply knows where he is and can buy a heavier gripper a step or two up.  Most people are going to take at least a little while to be dominating the GHP 5 or the #2, and the lighter ones are still going to be useful.  

The other thing to consider is that a Cannon rated gripper has high resale value in every range.  Every time I have put one up for sale on the GB, looking to upgrade to a higher range, it has been gone in 24 hours, so one really need not worry about it.

Just my 2 cents. 

• anwnate likes this