EricMilfeld

Certified Grand Hexabastard & Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,110 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 5 Months and 16 Days
  • Local time: 04:31 PM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Just wanted to give an unsolicited thumbs-up for Matt's calibrations.  Tommy brought over over a 154 and a 194 gripper that had been calibrated by Matt tonight and asked me to see what figures I got for them.  My numbers were identical.  That makes three grippers now that we have cross-calibrated and attained identical readings.  For me this is very significant.  I have previously calibrated grippers rated by others and discovered their numbers to be inflated usually by five to ten pounds.  I've never calibrated a gripper and attained a number higher than someone else.  What troubles me is that some of these grippers are probably floating around at contests.  I've gone into detail about the method that both Matt and I use for calibrating on the board here several times in the past, but if anyone is calibrating and is unsure about their numbers let me know.  Maybe you could cross-calibrate with me or compare your reading with one of Matt's pre-calibrated grippers.  I just think it's imperative that contest grippers, in particular, have accurate numbers that can be duplicated by anyone using the proper method of calibrating.  

• Bearcat 74, gerryg, Blackdog and 3 others like this

#2 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,125 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months and 10 Days

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Eric I really appreciate that you posted this. It is truly unsolicited too; I'm not sure we've barely ever discussed ratings. I think we both have just tried very hard to "get it right".

#3 OFFLINE   Bigdeze

Bigdeze

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month and 22 Days

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Good to hear since I have about 20 or so grippers calibrated by Matt.  :)

#4 OFFLINE   Jedd Johnson

Jedd Johnson

Sponsor, COC, MM Level 2, & Grand Bastard

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 11 Months and 16 Days
  • Local time: 05:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'd be interested in rating one of your guys grippers instantly after you do it.  I rated one of Matt's last year and was 3 lbs off but this was also after the gripper was in a choker for quite a long time and lots of use, so maybe it got weakened by this type of use.

I'd be interested in seeing comparisons between many of the more common rating devices.  Mighty Joe suggested this a year or more ago but it never got off the ground.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in cross-rating with my device.

Thanks.

Jedd

#5 OFFLINE   mudhutmasher

mudhutmasher

MM4, CoC 3, KOAB, Red Nail

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 4 Days

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'd be interested in rating one of your guys grippers instantly after you do it.  I rated one of Matt's last year and was 3 lbs off but this was also after the gripper was in a choker for quite a long time and lots of use, so maybe it got weakened by this type of use.

I'd be interested in seeing comparisons between many of the more common rating devices.  Mighty Joe suggested this a year or more ago but it never got off the ground.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in cross-rating with my device.

Thanks.

Jedd

PM sent

#6 OFFLINE   daniel reinard

daniel reinard

MM2, CoC #3, Red Nail, Golden Bastard, aka "The Claw"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days
  • Local time: 01:31 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

That's good to know. I know I get mine (grippers bought used. I shop and rate with Matt for new ones :) ) rated from someone who has cross rated with many reputable raters. It means alot to trust a number from someone who has double checked their work against proven people before him.

Edited by daniel reinard, 13 March 2013 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users