Norden

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 2 Months and 1 Day
  • Local time: 07:56 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I can mms close the #3 pretty consistently.
I do some work with my #2.5 from time to time, but I never seem to get more than 4-5 parallel reps with it.
How many parallel reps can you do with your #2.5?
Just wondering if I'm weak when it comes to repping.
When I could close my MM1 replica I still couldn't do more than 4-5 reps with my #2.5. :glare:

Edited by Norden, 14 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   jmatney

jmatney

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 8 Months and 5 Days
  • Local time: 12:56 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've never got more than 4 reps with a 2.5, and 1 rep with a 3. A bit wider than parallel.

#3 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 3 Months and 13 Days

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, I recently rebuilt my gripper strength based on a reps workout with a Thor BBSM (139). I was comfortable with the #3 again when I was getting 4 reps.

However this depends a lot on how you train. You can add to your max MMS without improving reps much and vice-versa. At my worst imbalance, I was closing a #3 and couldn't get 7 reps on a #2.

#4 OFFLINE   daniel reinard

daniel reinard

MM2, CoC #3, Red Nail, Golden Bastard, aka "The Claw"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 22 Days
  • Local time: 09:56 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

What are reps? :shifty
  • Geralt and RichAZ like this

#5 OFFLINE   RichAZ

RichAZ

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 0

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 11 Days
  • Local time: 10:56 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

It is just short for repetitions.
  • Geralt, brujeria and Norden like this

#6 OFFLINE   CANCRUSHER

CANCRUSHER

GripBoard Gripomaniac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 18 Days

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

When i closed the coc 3 for the firs time i could do 3 reps with the 2.5,then closing WT elite i did 12 reps with the 2.5.

#7 OFFLINE   rico300zx

rico300zx

GripBoard MashMonster Level 0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 9 Months
  • Local time: 01:56 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

Randal told me 12 credit card closes consecutive reps and you should be closing the 3

#8 OFFLINE   RichAZ

RichAZ

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Randal told me 12 credit card closes consecutive reps and you should be closing the 3

Is this a joke? I honestly cant tell

#9 OFFLINE   rico300zx

rico300zx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

No I was being serious

#10 ONLINE   Electron

Electron

Elite 59k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 19 Days

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

When I was closing the World's Toughest, I could only do about 10 reps on a 2.5

#11 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

It's certainly an accurate statement. You really should be. And I'm positive he means that you'd also be credit card closing the #3.

#12 OFFLINE   rico300zx

rico300zx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yes that's what we talked about

It's certainly an accurate statement. You really should be. And I'm positive he means that you'd also be credit card closing the #3.

#13 OFFLINE   PatrickMeniru

PatrickMeniru

GripBoard Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 28 Days
  • Local time: 05:56 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm a hair away from TNSing my #3 - can CCS it consistently, and can do 4 TNS reps of my #2.5. Not sure about MMS or CCS reps.

#14 OFFLINE   Norden

Norden

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say something similar.
Welcome to the gripboard Daniel, btw.

#15 OFFLINE   daniel reinard

daniel reinard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Um, it's a joke. It's like saying why even bother with reps if the goal is 1 rep on a goal gripper. I rarely use reps in any of my training and if I do it's less than 5, typically 2 or 3. I honestly don't think I have EVER done more than 5 reps on a 2.5. Specificity guys. Know your goal and train just for it. That means less reps and more high quality low rep closes. Does one want power or endurance? IMO tke the energy you put towards reps into quality closes with max intensity. No matter what gripper you close do it with max effort. Try to kill the gripper every time. Mindless clicking of reps is a waste of effort. I train grippers like I do powerlifting, and you should too. Grippers are a power "lift". We work them to try to achieve the highest "weight" possible. That means alot of near max work and intense dynamic efforts on what should be esy grippers. I tell you what, my lighter dynamic days are tougher than my max effort days. Hope this helps bro. Just saying that trying to achieve 12 reps on a 2.5 is a big waste of time if you want to close the #3, or whatever it is.
  • David_wigren, Teemu I, Autolupus and 1 other like this

#16 OFFLINE   Autolupus

Autolupus

IM Red Nail Bender and Bastard - MM Level 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 26 Days
  • Local time: 06:56 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Um, it's a joke. It's like saying why even bother with reps if the goal is 1 rep on a goal gripper. I rarely use reps in any of my training and if I do it's less than 5, typically 2 or 3. I honestly don't think I have EVER done more than 5 reps on a 2.5. Specificity guys. Know your goal and train just for it. That means less reps and more high quality low rep closes. Does one want power or endurance? IMO tke the energy you put towards reps into quality closes with max intensity. No matter what gripper you close do it with max effort. Try to kill the gripper every time. Mindless clicking of reps is a waste of effort. I train grippers like I do powerlifting, and you should too. Grippers are a power "lift". We work them to try to achieve the highest "weight" possible. That means alot of near max work and intense dynamic efforts on what should be esy grippers. I tell you what, my lighter dynamic days are tougher than my max effort days. Hope this helps bro. Just saying that trying to achieve 12 reps on a 2.5 is a big waste of time if you want to close the #3, or whatever it is.

If you're plateauing on a powerlift 1-3 rep regimen, aiming for max closes, then a drop back to upping your stamina/endurance on a lower level gripper by increasing reps and giving you a higher base level strength, say 60-75% is not necessarily a bad idea! ;)
  • LebaneseChampion likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Norden

Norden

GripBoard Veteran

• GB Contributor Level 1

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

I got that, and mine obviously was a joke too. :)
I really don't care about reps either, normally. It's just that I haven't done any serious grip work for some time so I thought I would start out with some 2.5-rep-workouts before getting serious again. I totally agree with you and I think and hope that this is just common sense for most people here. Only reason for this thread was that I think it's fun seeing how many reps I can get on lighter grippers now and then, without thinking of this as some serious training towards my goals etc.

#18 OFFLINE   Cannon

Cannon

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have found reps-based workouts to improve my max effort performance more than anything else.
  • Cannon likes this

#19 OFFLINE   RichAZ

RichAZ

• GB Contributor Level 3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

You are not susposed to like your own posts Matt :)
  • Teemu I, daniel reinard and Norden like this

#20 OFFLINE   daniel reinard

daniel reinard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Mike, I agree but I was just referring to the core training program. When breaking plateaus one often has to do off base things to kick start things again.

Norden, ok cool bro. I wasn't sure but I figured I'd share my mini rant on reps anyways.

Matt, you liked your own post. Awesome. Lol. Reps can build base strength up but i've never noticed them to build 1rm much. Everyone is different of course, but look at the majority of the power houses doing big 1rm anything.
  • Teemu I and Norden like this