Metroplex Mayhem At Metroflex

EricMilfeld

Sponsors: Metroflex Gym, Ironmind Enterprises, Fat Bastard Barbell Co., Central Market, and At Large Nutrition

Meet Directors: Paul Knight and Eric Milfeld

When: Saturday, January 24, 2009

Where: Metroflex Gym in Arlington, Texas http://www.metroflexgym.com/

Start Time: 10 AM

Entry Fee: $35 payable in any form to Paul Knight. Please include the user fee if you pay via PayPal.

p_knight@tractinc.com

Paul Knight

5725 Searcy Dr.

Fort Worth TX, 76131

Entry Deadline: January 1, 2009

Lifts in Order of Performance:

Euro Pinch

Standard rules will apply.

Grippers

Various brands of calibrated grippers will be contested using a parallel set. The judge will give the gripster a verbal start command when the set is legal.

Reverse Grip Bending

Calibrated 6" stock will be bent to 40 degrees within 30 seconds.

2" Axle Deadlift

Using a double overhand grip, the Ironmind Appolon's Axle will be hoisted to a finished position with the knees locked and the torso fully erect. Hitching is not allowed. The bar must be returned under control to the platform on the judge's signal. A sumo stance is allowed.

Medley

Five basic disciplines will be contested. Each discipline will be represented with three different objects of increasing difficulty to be lifted with one hand. The following implements are listed in ascending order of difficulty. Narrow pinch will include the Ironmind Blockbuster pinch block loaded with 30, a 1.5" wooden pinch block loaded at 70, and the Euro Pinch loaded at 90. Thick pinch will include a 30 pound hex, a Blob 50, and a Blob 50 with 10 additional pounds. Supporting grip will include a 2 1/2" FBBC Crusher loaded to a total weight of 110, a Rolling Thunder loaded to a total weight of 180, and the 175 pound 2 1/2" steel dumbbell housed at Metroflex Gym (it's tougher than an Inch Dumbbell). Hub lifting will include the Ironmind hub loaded with 30, a 45 pound plate, and a 45 pound plate with 20 additional pounds. V-bar will include a 100 pound anvil, a FBBC 2" v-bar loaded at 225, and another FBBC 2" v-bar loaded at 275. Other than the v-bar lifts, which must clear the floor by 2", all the implements must be fully deadlifted. Three minutes will be allowed for completion of all the disciplines. Implements may be lifted in any order the gripster chooses. Multiple attempts are allowed on the implements. Two or three bonus points events might be added.

Scoring

Four attempts for all events but the medley will be allowed. Gripsters may select lighter weights on successive attempts if previous attempts are unsuccessful. The rounds system will be used (all lifters will take their first attempts before starting second attempts, and so on.) Placing will be determined by a combined points total. The points awarded for pinch will be the weight lifted. The points awarded for grippers will be the calibration poundage of the gripper multiplied by "1.3". The points awarded for bending will be the calibration poundage multiplied by "0.4". The points awarded for the axle will be the weight lifted multiplied by "0.6". The easiest implements of all the medley disciplines are worth 30 points. All other implements are worth 10 points. So, a perfect score in the medley is 250 points.

Travel Information

Metroflex Gym is 18 miles from DFW Airport and and 29 miles from Love Field.

Additional Notes

Trophies will be awarded through 5th place. Prize packages will also be awarded, with details to follow. The Euro Pinch and Appolon's Axle weights will be calibrated. Only gym chalk is allowed as a grip aid. Additional sponsorship is likely. More details to follow.

Competitors List

Paul Knight

Eric Milfeld

Casey Emery

Kevin Emery

Greg Griffin

Rendy Delacruz

Jedd Johnson

Rex Hubbard

Mark Desouza

David Mims

Shane Musselwhite

Mark Lundie

James Doherty

Nathan Bicknell

Alex Graves

Cody Sherrod

Ryan Johnson

Ryne Sandhagen

• 1 month later...

Oh! good Eric! - I'm glad you've fashioned the competitors list in order of importance :laugh

I'm willing to bet this will be a swet comp. Wish I lived in the same country...

Payable in to Paul in ANY form ? I'll pay you with slaps to the face, mine are worth $1.00 a pop. :laugh

put me down paul

Thats what I like to here! It would be a shame if you didn't compete, you and your ridiculous hand strength :rolleyes

Edited by Paul Knight

Let me remind everyone - entry fee's are due before the 1st of Jan 2009 - we have alot to pay for, so lets try to get those in on time if not early - $35

send to:

Paul Knight

5725 Searcy Dr.

Fort Worth TX 76131

or Paypal to: p_knight@tractinc.com

all forms of payment accepted

I have bad news. A couple days ago I noticed my bellybutton was a little swollen and tender. I am going to the doctor soon and will find out for sure but I think it might be hernia. Training for those axle DLs probably. I dont know what they do for that but I don't know if I'll be able to compete. I will let you know Paul, I should know by the payment deadline anyway.

I have bad news. A couple days ago I noticed my bellybutton was a little swollen and tender. I am going to the doctor soon and will find out for sure but I think it might be hernia. Training for those axle DLs probably. I dont know what they do for that but I don't know if I'll be able to compete. I will let you know Paul, I should know by the payment deadline anyway.

Casey, I've been there, done that. It all depends on how soon you can get surgery. It took me about 4 weeks or so before I felt ready to lift weights again. I hope you can get surgery soon and that you heal fast!

Also, make sure the surgeon knows to look around for other holes in your abdominal wall and patch them up too as a preventative measure.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Sorry to hear it, Casey! I learned everything I know about hernias from Weird Al. Hope this helps: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpyoxEYa5mE

Casey, I've been there, done that. It all depends on how soon you can get surgery. It took me about 4 weeks or so before I felt ready to lift weights again. I hope you can get surgery soon and that you heal fast!

Also, make sure the surgeon knows to look around for other holes in your abdominal wall and patch them up too as a preventative measure.

-Rex

Thanks Rex, Im going to the docin about 45 min and hopefully its something else. I will compete no matter what but I may have to take it real easy.

Sorry to hear it, Casey! I learned everything I know about hernias from Weird Al. Hope this helps: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpyoxEYa5mE

HAHA, very good. That takes me back. :laugh

Just talked to Casey - he does have a hernia and is meeting w/a surgeon tomorrow - wish him the best

Just talked to Casey - he does have a hernia and is meeting w/a surgeon tomorrow - wish him the best

Get healed up Casey!

Heal up soon buddy!!! Sorry to hear about it.

Sorry to say but I won't be competing.

I will be there to support my 2 sons, Shane & Cody and

to take plenty of pictures. I also can't wait to meet some

new people.

I haven't specifically trained for grip comps and I don't won't

to get off track from my arm wrestling training right now. I'm doing

AW pecific training only right now. I can't risk tweaking my wrist

or elbow and hamper my training.

Look forward to watching.

Hope you heal up soon Casey.

Hey Paul, Shane said he's going to beat you at the axle deadlift and

Cody said he's going to beat you at grippers. LOL! :D

Mighty Joe

Thanks dudes. The surgeon said that my old incision re-oppened so it's not umbilicle hernia. Having my opperation Monday early morning.

• 4 weeks later...

The specifics of the medley event have been fine tuned. Other than the v-bar implements, all the implements will be fully deadlifted. And a few of the implement weights have changed.

Can someone post the physical address of the Metroflex

so I can google a map for directions?

Thanks!

Mighty Joe

Edited by Mighty Joe

Can someone post the physical address of the Metroflex

so I can google a map for directions?

Thanks!

Mighty Joe

Click on me

2921 S. Cooper Suite 109

Arlington, TX 76015