Setting Strength

Evan Raftopoulos

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone here ever trained specifically to improve strength for setting the gripper (I'm thinking of MMS or deep set) with any other methods besides setting grippers? It seems that the pecs are working a lot during setting. In theory it would be helpful to maximize your setting strength so that the working hand is more rested and ready for the close.

• Like 1

Back when I was bending I could set like a boss. Pec and shoulder strength definitely help quite a bit. I used to train by setting a 4, made setting the 3 feel like a joke.

• Like 3

Rolling Thunder has increased my setting strength more than anything else. However it makes me weaker at the close, I need to rest for a week before I can go heavy on grippers after RT.

Other than that I also practice setting with heavier grippers that I'm nowhere near closing. Just doing the setting and not trying to close it. The Baraban adjustable is good for this, since the tension is constant. I haven't tried the Vulcan yet but thinking of getting one, handles without knurling should be great for this.

Edited by Fist of Fury

I saw a video on setting by Shoggoth....not sure if I'm spelling his name correctly? He's on here, it was on YouTube.

His Vulcan setting video made a big difference for me.

Take a light gripper and close it by setting it; as in close it with thimb and index. Alternatively, set a gripper you cant close as assistance work.

• Like 2

just working with a gripper thats much harder than you are used to should help. I think thats what helped me, but it's hard to say. basically I started setting the 3.5 for negs, and then all of a sudden setting the 3 felt easy

• Like 1

Bendingbendingbending!

Also I used to set grippers 20-30lbs above my maximum close for a while and when I came back to setting #3's it felt like butter.

• Like 1

Strong back, shoulders and chest. Do whatever you can to build those up. Your set strength will sky rocket.

Buy a Vulcan from David Horne and train with that for a while. That thing is so much harder to set then a regular gripper!

Very true indeed. Sets are so much harder it makes setting a TSG feel easy.

Take a light gripper and close it by setting it; as in close it with thumb and index. Alternatively, set a gripper you cant close as assistance work.

Did this after my grip workout yesterday. Aces, man. I hadn't even considered doing this! Good info.

Take a light gripper and close it by setting it; as in close it with thumb and index. Alternatively, set a gripper you cant close as assistance work.

Did this after my grip workout yesterday. Aces, man. I hadn't even considered doing this! Good info.

Really need to try this!!

Take a light gripper and close it by setting it; as in close it with thimb and index.

Yes this is really good, I've been doing this and it helps a lot. I have the RB adjustable with filed handle which makes it even better.

thanks guys, great advice! I ordered some steel from Andrew so I'll start bending in a few days. :):mosher

I have the Vulcan I got from Tom right here with me as we speak and I feel it's a good trainer for improving set. It's funny that I initially thought it kinda sucks that it's hard to set this gripper so I stopped training wiht it instead of using it as a trainer for improving my set. Easy to inc the resistance gradually and the smooth handles make it easier to do reps.

I talked a bit with Jedd through pm too about setting grippers.

thanks everyone,I freaklin love this place

• Like 1