Block Weights Or Loadable Blob?

Jones1874

after reading this article some time ago (http://web.archive.org/web/20090810070347/http://geocities.com/ltgodfrey/three.html) ive decided to either pick up some lighter block weights, or invest in a loadable blob. as things stand, im not aiming at conquering specific block weights, but the goal is to build a better base of overall hand strength.

my only concern with the loadable is that it might be too big. i have average 8" hands but the blob looks like a beast.

which would you recommend? cheers.

The loadable if you're confident that will be the only one youll ever need.... If not... Buy an assortment of hexes before you shell out serious cash for the yorks... If you're like me.... Eventually you'll want some real block weights

The loadable if you're confident that will be the only one youll ever need.... If not... Buy an assortment of hexes before you shell out serious cash for the yorks... If you're like me.... Eventually you'll want some real block weights

im just a bit worried that the loadable will be too big for my hands or not feel too comfortable.

for a beginner, which block weights would you recommend? what do most people start out using?

i have average 8" hands

You've been a Gripboard member for over 3 years and have over 300 posts...so I'm surprised that you think an 8" hand is average and going to hold you back. It is not a huge hand. But it is not the hobbit hands that (7") some guys claim to have when professing to worry about their ultimate blob potential. 8" is slightly over average. Many, many guys have lifted the blob with sub-8" hands.

You seem to only appreciate the feedback that agrees with whatever your current pet theory of training is. But you ask for feedback on the open forum. Sounds like you've got this training thing figured out. Might be time to write an e-book.

i have average 8" hands

You've been a Gripboard member for over 3 years and have over 300 posts...so I'm surprised that you think an 8" hand is average and going to hold you back. It is not a huge hand. But it is not the hobbit hands that (7") some guys claim to have when professing to worry about their ultimate blob potential. 8" is slightly over average. Many, many guys have lifted the blob with sub-8" hands.

You seem to only appreciate the feedback that agrees with whatever your current pet theory of training is. But you ask for feedback on the open forum. Sounds like you've got this training thing figured out. Might be time to write an e-book.

when i seen that you replied to this post i knew i wasnt going to get a straight answer before i even read it. i could tell by the way you were getting pissy in the plate curl thread because three of us didnt understand what you were saying, because of the way you worded it.

and just for the record, ive been a member for 3+ years but ive only been active for about half that time. i dont live on here, and i dont know it all because my interests shift from time to time.

all i wanted to know was what would be the best way to go about it. from what i read in the article in my first post, Eric used the 40lb block and added weight because it felt more comfortable for his average size hands. which is around the 8" mark, same as myself.

My hands are about 8 and my first block was a 48# hex... 8s are definitely not small... I've got a York and it is way harder than the hex FYI

The Loadable Blob was my idea and I had the first one made by PDA several years ago. I used it to get to where I lifted an actual Blob. It's a nice training tool but may be hard to find - I don't know about that. My hands are 7 5/8". Both ways have advantages I think. The smaller hexes will likely be easier to find as you can buy hex DBs about anywhere and cut the ends off.

If you just want to improve hand strength, then find a variety of hexes. They and thick bar are the best ways to bring up whole hand strength if you are not training for specific goals/feats/contests.

If you just want to improve hand strength, then find a variety of hexes. They and thick bar are the best ways to bring up whole hand strength if you are not training for specific goals/feats/contests.

yeah, im looking to build a good base of hand strength so i think ill go with a couple of block weights. no, not training for anything specific right now, just looking to build a stronger pair of mitts. since brookfield and others have said 'Block weights = hand strength' it seems like the way to go.

any recommendations for what weight to start with? ive never handled one before so i dont know what to go with. lastly, what sort of price am i looking at?

cheers.

Have you ever propped a Hex Dumbbell up on end and lifted it off the ground in a claw grip (Inverted Dumbbell Lift)?

That would be a decent indicator.

Have you ever propped a Hex Dumbbell up on end and lifted it off the ground in a claw grip (Inverted Dumbbell Lift)?

That would be a decent indicator.

i havent lifted a Hex Dumbbell, but i have lifted a 14kg Chrome dumbbell like this: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/AlexMax/AlexMax1003/AlexMax100300089/6543728-set-of-shiny-chrome-dumbbells-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

OK. Well that is probably a little tougher than lifting a 14-kg block weight in most cases anyway.

ive decided to either pick up some lighter block weights, or invest in a loadable blob. as things stand, im not aiming at conquering specific block weights, but the goal is to build a better base of overall hand strength.

I would pick up some cheap castiron kettlebells like this on right - http://kauppa.motonet.fi/images/app/5/big/531534.jpg

Nice surface under that rubbercoating.

ive decided to either pick up some lighter block weights, or invest in a loadable blob. as things stand, im not aiming at conquering specific block weights, but the goal is to build a better base of overall hand strength.

I would pick up some cheap castiron kettlebells like this on right - http://kauppa.motonet.fi/images/app/5/big/531534.jpg

Nice surface under that rubbercoating.

they had kettlebells like that in the last gym i trained at.

at the minute im still trying to buy two hex dumbbells from a board member so i can do snatches, cleans etc. but if it comes up too pricey, then im going to use a 12cm softball that i just found. completely forgot i had it. i just put a hook in it and chalked it up and it felt really comfortable in my hand. i also remember reading in 'The Mastery of Hand Strength' by John Brookfield that this is a cheap but effective way of building up thumb strength and that wide grip pinch.