A Little 2-45lb Plate Pinch Training 7-31-2014.

Darrin S

This is my 1st time trying holds for time with 2-45lb plates.

7-31-2014 Bodyweight 159lb The lift was assisted by the offhand then a 12 count hold for time. I had more in me but I did not want to tear my thumb.

• Like 4

Very strong, you should be able pick those up unassisted it looks like..

Thanks Jon. The breaking it off the ground is too hard right now. I just need to get stronger.

I agree w/ Jon. I can usually pick up my best-feeling pair of 45s even well into a workout, but don't know if I could routinely hold them for 12 seconds one-handed (unless very fresh) even if I lifted w/ two and held w/ one.

Get your mind right and become one of the very lightest to ever pinch 2x45!

Here's a tip that I believe will get you there because you are so very close. After your normal warmup, do 2-3 sets of ~5 reps with the 2x45 two-handed. Pull the weights up as high as comfortable (chest/neck or so). Start at the minimal speed to pull it that high and make each pull a faster than the previous one until you are pulling the last rep very explosively, but mindfully so you don't hurt yourself. Next, use your other hand to assist and do 2-3 one-handed pulls w/ about a two second hold at the top w/ one hand and a controlled lowering. Rest until you are feeling good between all of the aforementioned sets so you don't accumulate excessive fatigue. This is how I "prime" my CNS before I pinch 2x45 (Robert Miller is a brute force lifter and just picks them up anytime, but I need my CNS awakened). Now lean the plates slightly toward your fingers to take pressure of your thumb and you should break them off the ground!

• Like 4

Outstanding Pinch Hold Darrin!!

Very Impressive,

Like Bob said- get your mind right and you will own the lift soon.

• Like 1

Unreal. You will be the lightest person ever to pinch those which I'm sure you will do soon. I consider 2 45 pinch to be one of the best elite grip feats out there personally.

Are you doing king kong? You posted a hub and horn video so I figured you are. You are going to break some records if so. Great lifting.

• Like 1

Outstanding Pinch Hold Darrin!!

Very Impressive,

Like Bob said- get your mind right and you will own the lift soon.

yeah if you are holding for 5 seconds or more you should be right around a liftoff

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Bob I will give your method a try next time. Yes I am doing King Kong.

• Like 1

Darrin, if you really want to build your confidence, try lifting them off of a mini-tramp. The tension from the weight of the plates on the springs will likely be enough for you to get good air even without an initial bounce. You coul also use a large cushion.

• Like 2

This is outstanding! Hope you get this very soon, I'm already excited to see your 1HP at king Kong.

• Like 1

Darrin, if you really want to build your confidence, try lifting them off of a mini-tramp. The tension from the weight of the plates on the springs will likely be enough for you to get good air even without an initial bounce. You coul also use a large cushion.

Excellent, could be used w/ blobs are whatever else one is training for

• Like 2

Excellent, could be used w/ blobs are whatever else one is training for

Thanks Jon, I use a mini-tramp from time-to-time to assess where i am on a feat; can be done w/ the Inch as well.

• Like 1

Super impressive, Great job dude.

• Like 1

Awesome job Darrin, I'm always impressed with your abilities. Your strength to weight ratio has got to be one of the best in the sport, if not the best.

• Like 1

This is my 1st time trying holds for time with 2-45lb plates.

7-31-2014 Bodyweight 159lb The lift was assisted by the offhand then a 12 count hold for time. I had more in me but I did not want to tear my thumb.

Good lift, 2 45's is on the way

• Like 1