One Hand Axle Vs 2" Farmers Walk

Strongmanpharmd

Riddle me this grip guys...the other day I worked up to a fairly easy 145 one hand axle, went to 155 and missed it. Last night I did some farmers with my 2" grip handles and smoked a 80 foot run with 215 a hand. Why is there such a discrepancy when the grip is essentially the same?

Axle rotates and is hard to center one handed.

Farmers handles don't rotate because of offset weight. Center of gravity is easy to grasp and the ROM is short.

• Like 3

I can one hand hang on a 2" db handle with extra weight totalling about 280# and my 1HA is only 195#. The rotation is what makes axle so tough, not necessary diameter, much like Yori pointed out.

Anyone here an actual physicist lol?

I'm curious why the 2" bar rotates more than an oLy bar. Does it just seem to rotate more? Explanation of forces anyone?

Well oly bars have bearings that let the sleeves rotate. Not sure how it affects the lift...if its fixed like an axle it should be the same rotating force as long as the plates are 2" sized. If its fixed standard 1", then I'm pretty sure there would but more rotation. (Qualification: MP w/ degree in totally non math field lol).

Spinning olympic bar is much more difficult to one-arm deadlift than fixed bar of same diameter. I remember that when i was starting my grip training, i pulled 110kg with one hand. That was with old and rusty bar with jammed bearings.

Next week i was in other gym, wondering why i cant pull even 80kg. :grin:

Sleeves eat up initial rotational force, but add rotation during the lift

An non rotating barbell will pile on the initial rotation, but adds no rotation during ascension.

A totally fixed barbell will rotate the whole way, with very high torque.

...or so I think.

Andrew Durniat mentioned to me that his rotating sleeve axle is harder to lift.

• Like 1

I was actually very curious about this

I was actually very curious about this

My memory fails often, but I think he told me that he pulled around 40? lbs less on his rotating York axle.

I first asked him about it because I'd never seen one outside his gym, and the knurling made me think it was easier.