Ghp 5 Close

felixthecat

Shot these consecutively, tried to get a second rep on each attempt, no dice.

Any critique would be much appreciated :)

• Like 1

That ain't no daisy. GHPs are tough grippers. You're spending a lot of energy on the set. Try to get into position a little quicker. You'll get that double soon!

• Like 1

That ain't no daisy. GHPs are tough grippers. You're spending a lot of energy on the set. Try to get into position a little quicker. You'll get that double soon!

Actually got that double after the recording :laugh I do spend more than is necessary setting it, I guess I feel I won't have a good hold of the gripper otherwise. I will definitely practice setting quicker.

Nice wide set, and long holds. Keep doing what your doing and plenty of strength will come.

I agree with Matt though. If you can get set a little quicker, another rep is right around the corner.

I hope so, thanks, I'll work on my setting.

Appreciate the input guys.

I think you already have the strength to do a double or more. You can improve the leverage by setting the gripper higher up in your hand. Right now it looks like you have your whole pinky wrapped around the handle, which is not necessary.

• Like 1

Great close! Watched it a few times and here is what i'd suggest;

1.I'd work on where the handle sits in your hand as looked a tad too far back?

2.Also looked as if you was finger walking to get the handle to position? Try using your left hand to force the handles closer.

Good job though!

• Like 1

Actually got that double after the recording :laugh I do spend more than is necessary setting it, I guess I feel I won't have a good hold of the gripper otherwise. I will definitely practice setting quicker.

Regarding a quicker set, I still think it's a good recommendation, but honestly you're not too far off from how Nathan Holle sets grippers and he's done okay for himself.

• Like 1

your hand needs to move down the gripper a little bit, the pinky should only be half on the gripper, allowing more leverage for the 3 stronger fingers.

• Like 1

I think you already have the strength to do a double or more. You can improve the leverage by setting the gripper higher up in your hand. Right now it looks like you have your whole pinky wrapped around the handle, which is not necessary.

Yeah, I did have my whole pinky on the handle. But you're right, I'll try and set it higher next time.

Nice job!

Thanks!

2.Also looked as if you was finger walking to get the handle to position? Try using your left hand to force the handles closer.

Good job though!

The dog leg was pretty far back. I feel it's easier to wrap my hands around the gripper, but I think that just means my setting isn't as great. I'm going to need to work on my setting. Probably practicing with the COC 3 will make it easier for the other grippers. Thanks for the input!

Regarding a quicker set, I still think it's a good recommendation, but honestly you're not too far off from how Nathan Holle sets grippers and he's done okay for himself.

I feel that's a great recommendation all around because setting does take energy from you. It seems quick sets are important for 1 rep sessions or max attempts since you'd expend energy on a long set rather than use it for the close. But damn, that's a GHP 9, no joke. :bow

your hand needs to move down the gripper a little bit, the pinky should only be half on the gripper, allowing more leverage for the 3 stronger fingers.

You're right like Fist of Fury said, will try and the the gripper higher next time. Thanks!

A vulcan gripper will do wonders for your setting power.

Great close, keep up the work.

I'll look into those Grind.

Thanks!

Good job though!

The dog leg was pretty far back. I feel it's easier to wrap my hands around the gripper, but I think that just means my setting isn't as great. I'm going to need to work on my setting. Probably practicing with the COC 3 will make it easier for the other grippers. Thanks for the input!

You can also practice setting with a lighter gripper, try starting with a Trainer and close it entirely with setting (so the handles touch), then work your way up to heavier grippers. When you can "close-set" let's say a #1.5 then setting the GHP5 should be really easy.

Also, wrist strength is very important for setting. So you can do assistance work there, it will improve your setting strength aswell.

Edited by Fist of Fury

Good job though!

You can also practice setting with a lighter gripper, try starting with a Trainer and close it entirely with setting (so the handles touch), then work your way up to heavier grippers. When you can "close-set" let's say a #1.5 then setting the GHP5 should be really easy.

Also, wrist strength is very important for setting. So you can do assistance work there, it will improve your setting strength aswell.

Hm, never considered setting as an actual workout but that does make sense! I'll definitely add that to my routine.