Shopping For Grippers

avasatu

Hey guys,

Over thanksgiving, I tested alot of the bigger guys in my and my fiance's family to see what their gripper strength was. Despite having a lot of carpenters/scaffolders/manual laborers in the family, no one closed the #2 (but one got very close).

Anyways, there were two guys in particular who I would like to get grippers because they seemed quite interested. They both were extremely close (within a few milimeters if I had to guess) from closing the #1 once I told them how to properly hold the gripper.

Assuming I want to buy them 2 grippers each, what would be the smartest buys? They need a warmup gripper I would guess, but on the other hand, I don't want them to be bored of the #1 too quickly after they get it.

I guess you could buy the ghp3 and the ghp4.

The ghp is slightly easier than the #1 on average and the ghp4 is slightly harder on average.

However for less money you could buy a set of 3 Heavy Grips. In that case I would go for the GH150, HG200 and HG250. This would give them a warmup gripper, a work gripper and a goal gripper.

How about the .5 and the 1.5? One guy is more goal driven, whereas I think the other guy would be using them for reps. For the rep guy, I was thinking T and 1. To be honest, I like all the suggestions so far though. So hard to pick.

It is really hard to say. At first I could not close the #1, then after a week with the trainer I was doing reps with the #1. If I had only the Trainer and the #1 I might have got bored and lost interest without a challenge gripper? then again if you buy them the Trainer and the #2 then it's too much of a gap?

Only 2 is hard choice. I think the suggestion of GHP3 and 4 could work but it depends on their job now, do they work with their hands or are they office dwellers? GHP knurling for beginners with soft hands will quickly discourage them I imagine.

Heavy grips could be the best bet here, I personally am not a fan of them but you could get 3 for the price of 2 GHP/IM and the knurling is ideal for beginners, so after much consideration, HG 150, 200 & 250.

I would get the Trainer and the #1, then buy a cheap plastic gripper for warmups, too cut costs if thats necessary.

There's no point in trying to do singles as a beginner, they will gain more and quicker by doing reps, a month or so they can just buy a harder gripper if they still want to continue, the #1.5 or GHP4 and also maybe a #2.

Also, it's not good to start out only doing heavy stuff near or right at your max, it will only increase the risk for injuries. You could even consider the #0.5, very underrated gripper in my opinion, great for beginners or for women. A friend of mine started with some gripper training a few months ago and he only had an RB130 which he borrowed from me, it had about the same resistance as the #0.5 I had and he got to closing a RB CPW at 97 lb only by repping that gripper a lot, thats where he is now and are using the COC#1 for many reps now, a gripper he couldn't close from the beginning.

Did you test them in the gym? The reason I ask is because they probably would've closed the #1 if their CNS were fired up after squats or other pressing exercises. They might be able to skip the #0.5 since they might be stronger with the #1 with the right warmup.

Edited by Fist of Fury

I guess you could buy the ghp3 and the ghp4.

The ghp is slightly easier than the #1 on average and the ghp4 is slightly harder on average.

However for less money you could buy a set of 3 Heavy Grips. In that case I would go for the GH150, HG200 and HG250. This would give them a warmup gripper, a work gripper and a goal gripper.

Isn't the average #1 like 80lbs RGC and the average GHP 4 95lbs? I wouldn't say a difference of 15lbs is slight. The #1 and the GHP 3 (75lbs average) do have only slight difference though and a different amount of sweep in my experience.

If they just miss on a #1 they can likely get it with proper warmup so 0.5 or GHP 3 and a GHP 4 for COULD work but the 4 is a bit of a jump. I like your suggestion of the heavy grips much better.

The guy who I have decided to for sure buy these for does indeed workout heavy, and has for years. Much longer than me. However, he is not as strong as me by a long shot, so I doubt he works too much with power. Maybe I will have to do 3 grippers and try for a package deal, but that is more than I want to spend on this particular person. Also, for those who wonder about his job, he is a TV announcer for sports games, so very non-manual labor. He is a bigger guy though, weighing near 200.

Edited by avasatu

They are decent. They'll get you strong just the same.

• Like 1

Aren't Heavy Grips worse quality grippers?

The HG200 I owned is pound for pound price wise the best gripper I ever owned.

Great for high rep work without grinding your hands.

• Like 1

Aren't Heavy Grips worse quality grippers?

They are half the price and nearly the same quality in every functional way that matters.

The first two I bought were 1 and 2. Then I realized I needed a 3 too so I odered that a month or so later.

They didnt have half sizes or ghp then.