Full Thomas Inch Dumbbell Lift In The Rain 4/19/14

odin

for Inch nerds only (and INCHworm lovers), otherwise will be like watching paint dry::

Good work.

• Like 1

Great to see you getting the respect you deserve on this lift Bob! What amazed me most was the fact that you were able to do a complete lift (which I do not see on the list yet) on a day that was not conducive at all to training. And is seemed like as much as we continued to dry the handle and keep an umbrella over it, the handle just kept getting slick. Between the handle and the cameras, it seemed we were constantly drying something and by the time you lifted the Inch we were drying it with a damp towel. Still, you managed to persevere, despite the difficult conditions. That shows a tremendous amount of determination and mental focus to complete a full lift and conquer your Moby Dick! I am a proud training partner and cannot wait to see what is to come!

• Like 5

Great to see you getting the respect you deserve on this lift Bob! What amazed me most was the fact that you were able to do a complete lift (which I do not see on the list yet) on a day that was not conducive at all to training. And is seemed like as much as we continued to dry the handle and keep an umbrella over it, the handle just kept getting slick. Between the handle and the cameras, it seemed we were constantly drying something and by the time you lifted the Inch we were drying it with a damp towel. Still, you managed to persevere, despite the difficult conditions. That shows a tremendous amount of determination and mental focus to complete a full lift and conquer your Moby Dick! I am a proud training partner and cannot wait to see what is to come!

Thanks James! We all had magical days; your 100 lb. LeverTop lift was an unforgettable feat of wrist & bicep strength as well as displaying an amazingy strong will and mental toughness in the very wet/cool conditions where it was hard to keep the joints feeling good at all. Jason Otto and Robert Miller also hit great PRs (including 2HP PR by Miller and Otto lifting the 135 Inch loaded to 158 PR as well as more significant air than ever with the INCH! Nate Brous visiting all the way from NY to crush grippers and lift Blobs really made the day, did NOT want to disappoint him...his shoulders looked as wide as Paul Bunyan's or at least the Brawny paper towel man...so thought he might bend me like a straw if I skipped my attempt...hope he posts the group photo where he and the others DWARF me! :)

My warmups went poorly and couldn't seem to get loose or move quickly or explosively at all. I only got the 135 globe DB loaded to 163 halfway up and likely would have not trained on the Inch at all if Nate wouldn't have been there. Because he was, I decided to try the Inch w/ a 2.5 lb. counterweight and it did not seem to turn at all during a full lift(which was a PR), Jason Otto watched closely and said "take the magnets OFF"...so decided to go for the Inch lift. I do tend to do better on friction-related (pinch & thickbar) lifts in wet conditions, perhaps due to dry skin, so things felt grippy briefly between the periods of rain-soaked sliminess.

Also, James, your positive statements helped heighten the intense focus I already had; it was really evident when watching the long version of the lift. I knew it was going up if the rain and soaking wet air didn't saturate the chalk and metal before I could get clamped on the DB.It really was one of those magic "flow" moments where everything seemed preternatural and time stood still right before and during the lift. I've finally figured out what works for my training after years of injuries and plateaus, so there will be more accomplishments for me and the Wolfpack...but

Like United States Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart "I know it when I see it" statement, all of you present know what you saw that gloomy, two-inches of rain-soaked yet magnificent, transcendent Saturday...you all witnessed a 54-year old man weighing less than 174 pounds, over 6 and 1/2 years from his first Inch attempts. perform perhaps one of best witnessed and documented and a clearly grip-dominant GB Inch cert attempt; certainly as good or better than 50% of the cert videos in recent memory, if judged on each aspect-feet ~ shoulder width apart, DB was controlled to the degree cups/cans may have stayed on during its ascent, NO TILT/V-BARRING/bracing on back globe, pulled clear into the crotch area (not just into the loose clothing) until it was stopped by firmly hitting my body-the only way it could have gone higher straddling the bell would have been to "lever" it in front of my body, and a smooth and easily controlled descent. No one encouraged me to do a second attempt (I thought about it as I could have held it longer, but didn't want to ruin a cert lift by dropping the DB), everyone there KNEW I had, at last, fully lifted the Inch Dumbbell!

PHENOMENAL LIFT/FEAT, BOB!!! :zorro:

Thanks Ben! I appreciate your kind words and belief in me over the years, was looking at a very nice post you wrote on IH about me maybe five yeas ago (?) and will try to check in to reply when I can as I felt guilty when I saw that thoughtful post orphaned there!

Great work mate! Hard work and dedication paid off!

• Like 1

Great work mate! Hard work and dedication paid off!

Thanks Florian, lots of hard work and struggles along the way, but that only makes this victory sweeter!

Great lift. I couldn't even budge the sucker a millimeter when I had one (with one hand). It's sold now. It was one big grip feat that escaped me.

• Like 1

Great lift. I couldn't even budge the sucker a millimeter when I had one (with one hand). It's sold now. It was one big grip feat that escaped me.

Thanks Bill, the last run I've put in since Feb 1st has left me feeling as emotionally drained as Maris chasing the HR record. Don't have much natural brute strength obviously, just learning apply nerve force more effectively and eating better lately. Plus light SSB squats most days before lifting.

Bob, the inch mastery doesn't stop here. As smart as you've been training, I bet you'll be able get some sick time holds or walks.... Keep pressing on, don't look back. Keep inspiring us all!

• Like 1

Bob, the inch mastery doesn't stop here. As smart as you've been training, I bet you'll be able get some sick time holds or walks.... Keep pressing on, don't look back. Keep inspiring us all!

Thanks Jon! Looking past your probable much greater natural strength, if I'd had your half your intelligence, depth of grip and other strength knowledge not to mention your analytical and planning abilities, it probably only would have taken me 2-3 years and I'd still have all my fingers still working properly, rather than having to work around these injuries and compensating by building different strengths. Already think the cups/can feat is not too far away-watch the chalk on the DB and you can see it was not rotating much on the ascent.

Thanks Bill, the last run I've put in since Feb 1st has left me feeling as emotionally drained as Maris chasing the HR record. Don't have much natural brute strength obviously, just learning apply nerve force more effectively and eating better lately. Plus light SSB squats most days before lifting.

I wonder if anyone is saying, "Who the heck is 'Maris'?" :):blink:huh: For those who don't know, he is responsible for popularizing the asterisk (*). Perhaps history needs to put an asterisk after Mark Henry's Inch Lift as the most impressive one of all time...

• Like 1

Awesome work Bob! Full lift with the cups is imminent sir!!

• Like 1

Well done dude! Haha loved the comment on killing your Moby Dick :)